Eddie's Attic website

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Eddie's Attic website

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Shout out to Eddie's Attic website, providing all the usuals like concert calendar and peeks at the menu (yummy). Look a little deeper and you'll find an area that features sit down chats with many of the finest singer songwriters around. Just discovered the "pictures and podcasts" button. There you'll find photos of performers onstage at Eddie's Attic and podcasts featuring chats with such notables as Richard Shindell and David Wilcox. I just clicked on the archived chat Shawn Mullins had when he sat down with former owner Eddie Owen, all caught on tape. This is cool. 8) Great photos by Melissa Bugg and others. Most of the interviews are with Ben Wakefield, who you may recall hosts the wonderful e-music program called "Take me to the bridge." What a great name for a music interview series. 8)

So here's to Eddie Owen's place, Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga. Be sure to click on the link to their Pictures and Podcasts. You might just see some familiar faces. :D

http://www.eddiesattic.com/
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks Paddy! Keep an eye out also for a tv show. It was shot in January, sort of like an Austin City Limits. It was great fun and alot of work to shoot, but I think it's gonna be great!! It's still in the editing phase, and then it needs to be shopped. Fingers crossed it will get picked up. Yeah.....look for lotsa changes coming to the Attic!! Good changes!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Annie...a tv show...WOW..that's sounds both exciting and promising. For years I've wished some of the shows I've seen in small venues like Eddie's Attic were captured for others to see. That way they could see just how great concerts like these can be. I guess the advent of Youtube has taken care of some of that but it's hit and miss with sound and audio depending on the equipment used. Glad to hear Eddie's is doing their part to take the music to the people. Outstanding. All the best to Eddie's Attic in this exciting new endeavor. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:38 pm

On the Eddie's Attic myspace page I read a little more about the history of this gem of a music venue and realize now just why I enjoyed our first time inside the place last November at Ellis Paul's show. This place is so cool. 8)

Here's what I read over on the eddie's attic myspace page.

ABOUT EDDIE'S ATTIC:
Eddie's Attic is a popular live music venue for aspiring and accomplished performing songwriters alike. Were located in Decatur Georgia a small, artist-friendly town within the metro Atlanta area - a cultural blend of Berkeley and Mayberry. A superior sound system, excellent acoustics, and outstanding customer service have also made the Attics music room a hit with music enthusiasts. Heralded for the music room's unique listening policy, the Attic draws both fans and artists from all over the world, and continues to be the premier acoustic music venue in the South. On any given night, music lovers can hear performing songwriters playing their own particular brand of music in an intimate setting. The Attic welcomes all varieties of original, live music and embraces the diversity that allows independent music to thrive. The Attics covered patio, which is a separate physical space from the music room, has been the center of the community for over 15 years and remains the friendliest spot in Decatur. Both spaces offer consistently outstanding food and drink.

Once the upstairs of a Belk department store, Eddies Attic was founded in 1992 by Eddie Owen. Eddie initially dreamed of opening an acoustic music club that focused on the independent folk artist - an inviting place up the stairs where the Decatur community could get together, enjoy a beer, and hear really good live music. In March 2002, Eddie sold the business to Todd Van Sickle, who ran the club until June of 2005.

In its first 14 years Eddies Attic has been the springboard for an amazing number of local artists who have gone on to receive national recognition names like John Mayer, Sugarland, Shawn Mullins, Josh Joplin, Billy Pilgrim, Kristen Hall, Caroline Aiken, Michelle Malone, and Matthew Kahler. The list of nationally known talents who have played this stage is also impressive names like the Indigo Girls, John Gorka, Sheryl Crow, Ani Difranco, The Black Crowes, David Wilcox, Bill Mallonee, Kevin Kenny, Edwin McCain, Ellis Paul, Francine Reed, Patty Larkin, Malcomb Holcomb, Larry Jon Wilson, Eric Taylor, Glen Philips, Dana Cooper, Pierce Pettis, Kate Campbell, Cheryl Wheeler, Cliff Eberhardt, Vance Gilbert, Lowen & Navarro, Indie Ari and Don Conoscenti.

In June 2005, Todd sold the business to Bob Ephlin. Prior to purchasing the Attic, Bob had been an executive for retailers such as Ross Stores, Wolf Camera, and the American Retail Group, as well as a management consultant with Deloitte & Touche. He also co-owned a small music recording studio and rehearsal space in Decatur (The Projector Room), and had been a loyal Attic customer, and former friend/advisor to Eddie.

In the past year, a lot of progress has been made towards (a) re-focusing the musical vision of the club back on being a listening room for the performing songwriter, to (b) bringing back the clubs founder Eddie Owen to drive artist booking and food/beverage operations, and (c) re-investing in the physical and virtual infra-structure of the business. The music room, pool room, and entry way walls have been re-painted, our hardwood floors have been re-finished, and we continue fix-up and clean-up efforts throughout the building. Our menu has improved significantly, as has our customer service. Weve worked with local galleries to return art to the walls of the Attic. Weve also made progress in re-establishing the Attic as a true community center for Decatur as a city, and for performing songwriters throughout metro Atlanta.

Were very appreciative of the customers and artists who have supported Eddies Attic over the years. Whether its for the amazing original live music in music room, or for the friendliest patio space in Decatur you should expect outstanding food, drink, and service you should expect to have the time of your life. Come see us soon.
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey Paddy-and all,

Check out their 'Audio Archive' section.

http://www.eddiesattic.com/AudioArchives.aspx

They have a great show from Bo Beddingfield, as well as two episodes of the Ga Public Radio show "Eddie's Attic Presents". The second show features our boy Ellis doing Jukebox on my Grave. I personally think the song selection is awesome for both shows!! I look forward to many more shows in the future!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Annie :D

I'm 3 songs into Bo Beddingfield and I'm into his sound. 8)

It took me all of 2 songs to love his music and it didn't hurt that he sang:

"I wish I had Lyle Lovett's Boat"

Somewhere between "Harmonica Like Dylan" and "New Year's Day" it hit me that Bo's voice reminds me of Darden Smith. 8)

The recording of this show is really top notch!!! Thanks Eddie's Attic.
paddy

Return to “Say Something”