Earth Day (April 22) EP Music History Trivia!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Earth Day (April 22) EP Music History Trivia!

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Folks,

Lots of stuff in the news and on the Internet about today's Earth Day celebration.

I can think of five Ellis Paul songs that include the word "earth". If you can think of a line of lyric containing "earth" post it here so we can guess the song.

Here's the first one:

"I’d be lying if I told you there are no wars out here on earth"

Any guesses? :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Wed May 14, 2008 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Here's another.....

"sometimes you got to go to the end of the earth to turn yourself around"

That's the only one I could come up with..... :oops:

so far..... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Okay, Karen's song is "I've Got Nine Months to Fix the World," and Paddy's is "Alice's Champagne Palace" (a positively brilliant line, IMHO).

Here's another one (too darned easy!):

But in the dash light
She's like an angel fallen to earth

Like you, Paddy, I'm still thinking . . .
Cathy

:wink:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Okay....I've got Cathy's...yup, too easy. :D "Seventeen Septembers"

That's all I got.... :oops:

paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Great going folks! :)

Here's another:

"I didn't promise you heaven on earth"

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Gong out on an earth day limb here...... :oops:

God's Promise?

earth to paddy...earth to paddy...come in...are you there? :lol:

:?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Paddy,

Yup...you got it. :)

I have one more on my list........shall I give a hint? OK....the subject of this song was made into a movie last year. How's that for a hint? ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Michael Stipe of REM sang....

consider this, the hint of the century..... 8)

That ranks right up there with that kind of hint........ :wink:

Too easy....I have to let others have a shot at this one. :P

:)
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 am

Couldn't sleep...

I know the one you're talking about Karen, but I'll try this one instead...

How about:

That someone so evil could walk among the people who inhabit this planet Earth?

Thanks again Karen for the fun trivia!

At work yesterday, we celebrated Earth Day by talking about what we do to help with the environment. Shall I dare say that the snow appears to have finally left the Midwest? So I rode my bicycle to work yesterday in celebration of Earth Day and in anticipation of yesterday's events at work. It turns out that my company started a thread on one of our databases to comment about what we do as individuals and what we as consultants do for our clients (types of projects we work with them on) to help with the environment - from new requirements for 'Green' buildings to a project I worked on to help a municipal customer use their biogas to produce energy for their on-site treatment process. It was fun to share our ideas and help to share our experiences to make things better. I didn't realize that florescent bulbs contain mercury (something I should have known) and should be disposed of properly.

Wish I could ride my bicycle to work everyday... :wink:
Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 am

Dean,

The Millenium Poem!

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to be able to answer! :)

I'm impressed that you rode your bike to work. I try to do little "green" things every day...lfrom being very conscious of wasting water to using reusable grocery bags.

WYEP Pittsburgh is the only green station in the nation. Gotta love them for that....even if I didn't already love them for introducing me to Mr. Paul. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:34 am

Dean and Karen...great fun and thanks for all the great stories to help celebrate Earth Day...Another one in the books and thinking back I recall the very first Earth Day was celebrated with some kind of big fanfare that may have included a "March on Washington?" sort of thing complete with a few big name artists playing music alongside all the public speakers. I kind of lost track of Earth Day as an annual event but with threads like this one I'm reminded that we can all do our small part to help out. :)
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Earth Day. Sounds like another candidate for--drumroll, please-----

Calendar Man!!

Joining Dean and Paddy in giving thanks for another great trivia day!
Cathy (& Michael, too!)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks everyone.....but no one jumped on my last song title that I gave the hint for. Here's the line of lyric:

"Could’ve sworn he heard the earth a talking….talking"

Any guesses? :)

KarenZ

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Okay, I know it:

The Ballad of Chris McCandless (sp?)

One thing that this trivia question reminded me of is I've noticed that Ellis uses the words "wedding gown" in several songs. I can think of three off the top of my head, but there could be more. Anyone venture a guess?

(Yes, Paddy--another "daily double") :lol:
Cathy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:23 pm

oooooooh! Just like Jeopardy! :)

OK....one is that line that many of us questioned when we were doing the Song of the Week a while back. The line that confused us was "like the sight of blood is a wedding gown". It's from an old song.....let me think....gets up, falls down, gets caught by the wrong Mr. Right....it's hard town, wouldn't want to live in it, but I wouldn't want to give up in it......GOT IT!

"All things Being the Same"! :)

KarenZ

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Yup, that's one of the three I have in my head, Karen. One down, two to go.

And what does that line mean, anyway??? :?
Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:31 pm

KarenZ wrote:oooooooh! Just like Jeopardy! :)

OK....one is that line that many of us questioned when we were doing the Song of the Week a while back. The line that confused us was "like the sight of blood is a wedding gown". It's from an old song.....let me think....gets up, falls down, gets caught by the wrong Mr. Right....it's hard town, wouldn't want to live in it, but I wouldn't want to give up in it......GOT IT!

"All things Being the Same"! :)

KarenZ

The song about Eddie's Owens place....Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga.

:D
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Got her name on a stool down at Eddie Owens' place--

Yup, that's one (All Things Being the Same)

Looking for two more . . .

Hint: one of the two remaining songs has the word "whippoorwill" in it--about as rare a song word as "vertigo," I daresay.

Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Current mood: rusty!!!

You guys are starting to point out some rather scary things about my ability to grab a lyric of an Ellis Paul song and recall the song title at will.

Okay...whipporwill...this should be easy sneezey. All I can think of is Richard Shindell's song about the late great Dave Carter.

yikes!!! :oops:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I think the song that mentions "colors yellows and blues" ("give in, give up"?) also mentions a wedding gown...but I don't know if it contains the word "whipporwill"....or am I delirious on both counts?

Where's BeckyG (queen of Ellis Paul lyrics) when you need her? :wink:

Tired and confused in Pennsylvania....
KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 am

Definately one of Elaine's top five EP songs: Marc Chagall from American Jukebox Fables! Whipporwill's and eyes-popping-open-like-buttons-on-a-wedding-gown!

Thanks Cathy for the extended trivia question!
Dean

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Yup, that's the second one, Dean. Isn't that a great line???? And Karen, that's a FOURTH song with "wedding gown" in it: Give in, Give Up

Here's a hint for the third:

Ellis saw his ghost in this song.

Now I'm wondering if there are other "wedding gown" songs in the EP oeuvre!

Have fun!
Cathy

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:49 am

That's in Welcome Home to Maine, of course.
Without checking the lyrics, isn't there's ship whose sails reminded him of a wedding gown?

Happy Trivia Friday! :lol:
-wendy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 am

That's it, Wendy! I love that song--especially "Look how the years have changed me, the road has rearranged me." And, of course, the "schooner out in Yorktown, she's white as a wedding gown, breaking the crest of the waves"! The images are so vivid! Michael and I heard Ellis sing this live when it was really new and fell in love with it. So glad it made Essentials!!

TGIF Everyone!
:D Cathy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:10 am

I got one more:

And in my search for reasons
I will wash away the doubt
That came wrapped inside a wedding gown

I guess that makes number five! :shock:
Dean

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:34 am

Okay, Dean! Didn't even think of that one. FIVE! One of the great lines from that song is "I'm letting go, cuz holding on's killing me."

This has been a fascinating exercise for me. I'm more accustomed to analysis of literature, but this is literature of a sort. As I think about EP's music, there are other recurring images, too. For example, "lift a glass" or some variation thereof. Anyway, lots of fun to let my mind wander over and poke around in the corners of the work of such a great artist as Ellis Paul!!

Thanks, Karen, for the inspiration!

Cheers!
Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 am

2 cups of coffee in this morning and think i see a chance to jump back into to this wonderful trivia thread (thanks, as always, karen and all others here)

let's see how well the java is working..... :lol:

"i'm letting go cuz holding on's killing me" is from "Seven" on Translucent Soul.

Will trivia Fridays become a mainstay, here???......hope so. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:35 am

You guys and gals are awesome. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:14 am

Aint we something??? :D

Course they say water seeks it's own level...... :wink:

So...right back atcha, Miss Kitty ----- I mean Karen :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Gunsmoke's Miss Kitty is one of my top heroines. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:40 pm

I read that somewhere........and knew you'd understand!!! :D

Have a great show tonight!!! 8)
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Mon May 05, 2008 3:35 pm

Michael and I took advantage of a beautiful Wisconsin Sunday by taking a little motorcycle ride. I grabbed my IPod, cranked up some EP, and off we went. I nearly fell off the bike when the words "wedding gown" came up in yet another song, and it's one you'll kick yourself for not remembering. How about this:

When I was born she was sixteen
and every steeple
in the three church town
was ringing with shame
people whispered like rain
of the baby but no wedding gown

So that makes SIX: :shock:

Marc Chagal
Give in Give up
All Things Being the Same
Welcome Home to Maine
Seven
Clarity

Happy Monday!
Cathy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Cathy,

Way to go! You are now the offical keeper of the wedding gown list. :) (I have a feeling there are others that are going to come out of the woodwork.) ;)

KarenZ

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”