American Idol 2008

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

American Idol 2008

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:26 am

From the guilty pleasures thread to one of it's very own......

Ladies and gentleman......This is American Idol.

This year looks promising with talent all over the Top 12.

I love the new stage set up this year. It really seems to be the most elaborate one of all the ones from years past. The judges looked good and are obviously stoked with the folks that made it to the big show.

I always joke with my wife that in the early tryouts and initial Hollywood auditions that the judges base their opinions of the contestants on one unspoken golden rule:

Can they sell Fords? :P

Let's see how this season plays out.....have fun watchin, y'all. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks Paddy...

And just to let you know that my girls still have good taste in music... one said if they ever got on AI, they would sing Fireflies..(ala Lori and Ellis) It was before Faith Hill covered it!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 am

The thing that impresses me about the show when they get to the Top12 is how with hair and makeup and wardrobe assistance these heretofore average ordinary folks in one week's time come out on stage looking like they are already household name superstars. :shock:

CHICKEEZIE blew the judges away last night......me, too!! :shock:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:12 am

Here's the top 12 on American Idol.

David Archuleta
Jason Castro
Chikezie
David Cook
Kristy Lee Cook
David Hernandez
Michael Johns
Ramiele Malubay
Syesha Mercado
Amanda Overmyer
Carly Smithson
Brooke White

Any favorites so far?
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Patti,

I really liked Brooke's "Let It Be" last night. I've liked everything she does. She reminds me of Joni Mitchell in some sort of way.

I think Carly Smithson stands out for the girls and David Cook for the guys. As Simon said last night, if the competition were based solely on talent, he could win it.

That's my only problem with the show .... that you have to have "the look." Plenty of talented people out there without "the look!"

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Has anyone reading this thread and watching American Idol over the years ever purchased any of the music made by any of the artists that either won or came close? Some contenders would be:

Kelly Clarkson
Daughtry
Clay Aiken
Bo Bice

Who am I forgetting....oh yea...Soul Patrol's Taylor Hicks.

We have one CD in the house...a compilation from one of the seasons.

I forget which one.... :roll: Which is why I'm wondering.....

Are your kids wanting these CDs? --- Did ya see them on tour? We got tix to see the American Idol Top 12 from last year on their Philly stop on the tour and I gladly gave my seat to one of the lil guy's friends. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Here's Brooke White last night singing Let It Be....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEBhO7n ... ture=email
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Best of the bunch was Kelly Clarkson, whose CDs I own. I used to be a Clay Aiken fan (and purchaser of CDs), but he hasn't handled fame very well. Guess the folks who voted for Rueben Studdard were right. Others whose CDs I've purchased are Kimberley Locke and Fantasia, but pretty mediocre productions. Carrie Underwood is doing very well. Kim Caldwell from a few years back sang the national anthem at one of the playoff games, but she sang it at a tempo that was more suited to a funeral derge than to the anthem.

As for this year, Woohoo to David Cook, Michael Johns, Carley Smithson, Amanda Obermeyer, David Archuleta, Ramieule?, Brooke . . . .

Christy Lee Cook can go home now, maybe David Noriega, Chakesie? Ayesha? (don't have a lot of these spellings down, but you get the drift)

Went to 2 of the tour shows in Minneapolis--seasons 2 and 3. Then life got hectic, Michael and I got married (with none other than my all-time fave Ellis Paul as our entertainment aboard the "La Crosse Queen", then my twin grandsons came along, and . . .

Oh well, I love watching AI in the comfort of my own living room. Life is good!

Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Cathy...thanks for sharing your experiences with American Idol. I really like the back stories of many of the top contenders. It makes ya pull for them all the more, doesn't it? I think this year's big story for us is that of 17 year old David Archuleta. He has wanted to be on American Idol since he was a kid and a huge fan of the show. They showed early video of him getting to meet and sing for Kelly Clarkson at the hotel where the contestants of Season One were staying. :D

At some point in his young life, not sure exactly why, David Archuleta had to undergo vocal chord surgery where doctors told him they were not sure that he would ever be able to sing again. His voice seems a little raspier than most, perhaps a result of the procedure. Anyway, after he performed John Lennon's Imagine a few weeks ago in early auditions he seemed the odds on favorite to win. After having a very rough time of it last night, missing his queue at the start and forgetting the lyrics not once but twice, it's obvious the nerves set in and he was just not on his game. I still think he'll hang around deep into the competion, which is now apparently ALOT stiffer than once believed. :shock:

We'll root for him all the way...but I think his vocal range is somewhat limited and I think that's why Simon said to David Cook that if the contest was based on talent and not popularity, that he, David Cook, could well win it all. I do believe Simon was referring to David Archuleta's early hold on America's heartstrings. :wink:

When we've watched the last 2 seasons (we came late to AI) we phoned in with votes. We are passe about it nowadays...and don't bother to call in and vote..... :oops:

Do you guys still call in with a vote?
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:02 pm

How weird. We (my daughter and I) voted for the first 2 seasons, and haven't called since. This thread got me thinking back to some of the great performances: Kelly Clarkson--Natural Woman; Kimberly Lock--Midnight Train to Georgia; Clay Aiken--Solitaire. This year is especially tough for me to choose a favorite. Certainly David Archuleta will be around for a while (Imagine was incredible :shock: ). David Cook's Eleanor Rigby was amazing.

We'll see how it shakes out, but my prediction is pretty easy this week: Bye-bye Kristy Lee Cook!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I only half watched last night's show and caught up on tivo. Since we skipped to David Archuleta's performance I missed his video intro before he came out to perform. I had no idea until I saw the youtube of his interview and performance just how nervous he was leading up to last night's show. The kid didn't really know much about the music of the Beatles. He only really knew one Beatles' song ("We can work it out") through his love of the Stevie Wonder version of the song. He tried to pull it off but sadly it did not go well.

We Can Work It Out ~ Lennon/McCartney ~ David Archuleta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI_cmwgj ... ture=email
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 am

Adios David Hernandez....the first of the top 12 to be sent home shy of the title of the next american idol. The buzz around this fellow surfaced recently when it was disclosed that he was a male entertainer.

Talk about a folk lapdance..... :shock:

You just know that when that kind of news breaks.....well, lotsa luck trying to get America to vote for you. I mean I know he happened to be one of the least talented singers in the competition and was never going to be crowned the winner, anyway.

There's another contestant who arrived in Hollywood with some baggage she will have a hard time shaking. It's the "rocker nurse" as we like to call her here at the house. She's a great singer imho...a real throwback to Janis Joplin. She has black hair with a white streak up front. Sorry, not a household name yet, so I don't have her name just yet. Anyway, an arrest 2 years ago for a DUI (driving under influence) mugshot has surfaced. America ultimately won't let that go, either. :roll:
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Ooooh, hadn't heard about the DUI for Amanda. I really like her--she's so comfortable performing. But definitely, the DUI will affect her longevity. Having a tough time choosing a favorite this year. Too early. But the Davids are definitely high on my list, Brooke, Carley, Michael. Dang! I can't narrow it down much at all yet. However, after my ill-fated attempt to choose who would go home this week :roll: , I'll choose Kristy for next week.

Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

YUP...funny aside....the mugshot photo was from 2 years ago and it looked like it could have been taken last week. To say she's been sportin that look for a few years now. I like her.....she might stick around. :)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:56 pm

I really like Amanda too!! I think she and David Cook have the best shot so far. The Irish girl is pretty cool too! I'm excited about this year!! Last year I never really bonded with anyone, so I didn't really watch much. The year before I was all about Chris Daughtry!! I think David Archaletta has all the cute factor going for him, but not much talent...or not enough anyway, but I'm sure he will have the pre-teen vote!!I also like the Aussie. It cracks me up that it says he's from Buckhead GA. Buckhead Ga is not actually a town, just an area, but supposedly it's the 'cool' area.. 8) :roll:

Anyway, I'm on board for what looks like a really great season!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Who's going home? :P

David Cook rocked a Michael Jackson tune last night.

Most interesting........and the judges love this guy!!!

Pick a song from "the year you were born" was the theme last night.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I was just wond'ring earlier today what was up with the AI thread since you guys have been quiet. Thought maybe it was over. :) (Haven't been able to tear myself away from The Weather Channel or Oprah's book club discussion.) ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:06 pm

My interest waned last week; I blame it on not feeling well. :?

The rocker nurse went home last week....too one dimensional, maybe.

Michael Johns rocked We Are The Champions by Queen.

David Archuleta was told by Simon it was like a "theme park" performance.

The barefoot blonde at the piano studder started The Police's "Every Breath You Take"

A couple of the other girls impressed the judges.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 pm

chickezie come.....chickezie go...... :?
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:14 am

Yup still watching.. I have liked David Cook since the beginning when he declared himself a "word nerd"... His version of Billie Jean was pretty awesome, but technically this version was "a cover of a cover". Still he pulled it off well, and the judges are always saying song choice matters most. check ot this 2 minute version on you tube.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=sb05uu7xIYg

I think you will have to agree this version is way better than the original!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 am

Yeah...the self confessed crossword puzzle geek side of David Cook impressed here, too. I'm not sure i prefer the cover of the cover of Billie Jean better than the original (hey I grew up on the Jackson 5) version by Michael Jackson on his "Bad" album which I thought was really great. :shock:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 pm

I didn't mean to dis MJ's version completely. When the song came out I'm sure I liked it, but when I hear it now, not so much. I def. have David Cook's version stuck in my head...
Last edited by Patti on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:59 pm

patti

no worries......I can't listen to MJ at all these days. :roll:

Although David cook looks like the one to beat this year, I have a hard time gettin in to the style of music he sings. He's talented for sure, just not for me. Same thing happened to me with Daughtry, last year. :roll:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 am

Dolly Parton night on American Idol...... :roll:

Michael Johns seems to have stepped it up BIG TIME!!! 8)

Simon slammed Carly's wardrobe choice...... :roll:

But I have to say I was thinking the same thing..... :?

David Archuleta, while still in it to win it...I don't think he can. :wink:

It's David Cook's to lose. :wink:

Dolly cracked me up, ever the songwriter, saying one of the contestants could be a star and when they are she could write a few songs for them. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Anyone else shocked that Michael Johns was voted off the show?

For me, he's one of those guys who will land on his feet with something even bigger than being crowned American Idol the way it happened for Daughtry.

Seems David Cook's star has lost some sheen. :shock:

Hope I don't have to choose between watching Idol and James Blunt tonight. :shock:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:14 am

I was definitely surprised by Michael Johns departure and agree that we'll be hearing more from him down the road.

Did you watch it last night?

David Cook, I do believe, redeemed himself BIG time.

The only song that I knew was the one Brooke did, seeing as it wasn't a Mariah song.

It'll be interesting to see who goes tonight!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 am

Half watched last night.....and missed James Blunt on "Dancin w/Stars" :(

Didn't see David Cook or David Archelata, but did see the judges rave about the younger of the two. :shock: I am surprised he's doing as well as he is lately. Kind of figured he might pale in comparison once the other singers established themselves.

Talk around this household is that both Carly and Brook ought to worry. :?

The thrill is gone. :?
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 am

Hey Paddy if you search youtube I'm sure you will find David Cook singing the Mariah Carey song. He did a good job... the judges all loved it. I think he is going to be winner.. His brother is sick with brain cancer, and was in the crowd last night so , David actually got a little choked up.. I know when David has played his Les Paul guitar, he had big AC letters on it, I wondered what it was for, but now know it is for his brother Allen....(they didn't mention that on AI, I read it somewhere eles.)

Brook is sweet and talented but just so nervous...you can see her shaking. I like Jason a little more the last few weeks too...

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:20 am

Oops .... It was Carly's song that I knew, not Brooke's.

I really like Carly's voice, but I agree she may be on her way out. Brooke too.

My son is rooting for David A. The kid definitely has talent, however I don't think he and David C. can be put in the same category, but what do I know? HA!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:51 am

Help.....I got a damn word machine in my head, too. :shock:

When Greg Brown wrote and sang "America will eat you up" I don't think even he saw this coming. As idle americans feast on American Idols it's more evident to me than ever. But I digress......

Christie Lee's goose, as of last night's show, IS COOKED!!! :shock:

I had high hopes for her as the dark horse in this race. She had some real country star in the making potential.....what happened? :?

I think folks wrote her off after a bad performance of a few weeks ago and lost interest to the point they paid little attention to her week by week improvement. She had the whole package, too. She had looks, voice, talent, and overall...her attitude was perfect.

Brooke and Carly survive another week.

My son said, and I have to agree, the Ford car commercial was strange. :shock:

America will eat you up ~ Greg Brown
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 am

Another one bites the dust!

Something tells me, she'll do just fine!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:55 am

Fell fast asleep before the big cut last night but caught it on tivo this morning. It was touching to see the last 2 girls standing and before announcing of the two which was going home, Ryan asked Simon to predict if it would be Christie or Brook. When Simon said smugly that it would likely be Chrisitie, Brook came to her defense with a "Now wait a minute, Simon" that warmed my heart. She said "you just never know"

The outtakes of Christie Lee Cook's run on American Idol with her racing her horse full gallup had me thinking this girl is really something. It's fun to see the growth from auditions to top 10. I'm sure she will do fine if music is what she wants to do. I keep reminding myself, that years ago at The Kerrville New Folk contest a young Nanci Griffith competed and did not make the top 6 winner's list. :shock:

So, there ya go!!! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 am

Anticipation, anticipation, anticipation.....is keeping me waiting

ooops......wrong Carly!!! :oops:

So the latest voted off of American Idol is Ireland's Carly uh, oh what's her name....see how soon we forget? :?

Sorry to see her go in a way...and in a way not. I kinda thought she had a chinaman's chance to do really well and soon realized she just lacked something somehow.

The David's look strong.......dreadlocks kid, too!!! Ruh ROH..coffee time, again cuz I've lost his name, too! :shock:

Funny....we don't call in a vote at all like we did when we was HOOKED the last 3 seasons. :? Guess it's just a guilty pleasure, now. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 01, 2008 10:20 am

Ellis once blogged about artists on drugs.......Paula, from time to time, seems to be feelin no pain. :shock: Take for instance this week's performance show Tuesday night. She told Jason Castro at the midway point that both his performances were lacking sumpthin, and all performers at that point had only sung one of two Neil Diamond songs.

Ryan was rushing to get thru the one hour show and the look on his face and body language as Paula was putting down his 2 performances. :shock:

It was touching to see Brook so emotional and graceful upon leaving. :cry:

From here to the final, it's got to be the David's.... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 09, 2008 11:50 am

Jason Castro sang "I Shot the Sheriff" and shot himself in the foot. :shock:

Wheat from the chaff...... :D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri May 09, 2008 12:23 pm

What was funny is when he said someone told him "he shot Mr. Tambourine Man" seeing as he forgot some of the lyrics in that tune.

:lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 09, 2008 12:31 pm

That was funny!!! :lol:

He was so nervous......I felt for him.

a side note...the host of American Idol, Ryan Seacrest, is rumored to take over the Larry King Live show when the old pro decides to retire. :shock:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

Puttin my money on David to win it all, tonight!!! :D

My son likes David Cook over David Archuleta...... :shock:

I'm with him.....I think Cook has more range and talent.

Little David Archuleta seems a teen idol in the making tho, and the American Idol judges seem to be swaying voters his way. I'm okay with it, he just seems to sing at one speed, but ever so well!!! :D
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Your son has good taste in music, Paddy, and I'm with you guys on the David Cook vote, as is my daughter.

My son is for David A. all the way, so we've been razzing each other for a while now.

No doubt David Cook will be making music soon without the Idol win!

Seems like such a sweet and humble guy and I wish him the best!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Forgot to mention our friendly lil family feud last night while watching on Tivo. I said it would be okay to fast forward thru David Archuleta's performance as my wife pleaded that we leave it on.

My defense -- he sounds the same at the beginnning, middle and end of the song with little range so what's the point? I do believe that David A's disney-esque boyish good looks and innocence will take him beyond music and into film and television.

David Cook will do well, too, ala, Chris Daughtry as last season's runner up selling a gazillion records and touring. He came close to getting into with Simon as Simon was blasting him and then seem to think better of it and ended up agreeing with Simon about song choice.

That's entertainment! :?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 21, 2008 9:56 pm

Drum Roll :P

The announcement after the break. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 pm

WOW!!!!!! :D

The winner.....by 12 million votes, is David _____________.

Won't spoil it for anyone who Tivo'd it! :D

WOW!!!
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 am

Wowzah!!!!!!!

That's all I'm going to say for now!

:D

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 22, 2008 7:10 am

Great show all around, guest performers included, Seal, George Michael, Donna Summers, Graham Nash!! and others... some pretty funny skits... And how about the "Risky Business/Guitar Hero" commercials... at first I thought they were showing actual film footage, then I realized it was David Cook :) I'm surprised at myself at how entertaining I find/found this show, I really only watch this and the Red Sox. (and they have been great the last few games too :) and I am SO not into "pop" music but this year the talent was much more taste...

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 am

I agree with you, Patti. I am definitely not into the pop thing but I really enjoyed the show this year. There was a lot of talent and the contestants were really different as far as their styles, etc.

I just read a blurb where Graham Nash said that Brooke is way better looking than Crosby! Cracked me up! I thought they sounded GREAT together.

I also thought both David's sounded great together on the song at the beginning.

Monica R.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 am

Performances by ZZTop with David Cook, Bryan Adams and the boys..
One Republic, with David A. And not sure why but the Jonas Brothers ??

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 am

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't watch last night. By the time the finale rolls around, I'm pert near over it. I wanted to see who the winner would be, sure, but the rest of the show mostly bores me. Way too much promoting of upcming music (George Michael?) and film (Mike Myers?)

Some of it is entertaining and some is not. With Tivo I have the luxury of doing other things and goining back for the highlights. I did find it interesting that the top 5 contestants were allowed to choose an artist to bring on the show for a duet. It was GREAT to see Brooke bring Grahm Nash on the show. I missed "That lil 'Ol Band from Texas" so I'll want to see that on Tivo.

Loved seeing Simon apologize to David Cook just before the winner was announced. They must have alerted Simon that he had blasted the winner! Simon said after viewing the tape of the finale, he was overly critical of David Cook and that in hindsight it was actually pretty good adding there was not that much separating the two. He concluded by saying he honestly thought either could win and it didn't matter to him who it would be.

Drum Roll time........ :P

David Cook was the winner by 12 million votes. :shock:

Was the fix in? Well, maybe. Not in the way you might think, tho. I'll explain. My wife thinks that Simon worked his magic by goading David Cook fans into rising up to call in with votes for him. That Simon all along knew that David Cook was the more talented artist and more deserving of the two. Otherwise, it's a popularity contest, and David Archuleta wins that one hands down.

It was great to see David Cook win. He deserved to. His brother, fighting cancer, and the reason David was there in the first place, saying into the camera after the win, "That's my brother!" :)

Good stuff!!!

Congrats David Cook............Your Next American Idol. :D

Paddy Out!!!

:lol:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am

I thought for sure David A. had this thing one, regardless of the fact that David C. definitely had more talent. It's just the way this show usually goes.

I really was surprised. Had tears rolling down my cheeks, which my daughter thought was pretty funny, although I'm not sure why ..... I've been known to cry watching McDonald's commercials!!!!

Anyway, like your wife, Paddy, my brother said the same exact thing about Cowell p**sing off Cook fans. I hadn't give that any thought, but after talking to him, it got me wondering. I had all intentions of falling fast asleep while watching. Agree with you that they put too much fluff into the final show. As my daughter said, they could do it in 5 minutes, just tell us who won and say goodnight!

My son wasn't too happy. He said if David A. lost he wasn't going to school today!!! He has MCAS, however, so off to school he went!

I think I'm going to try and get tix to one of the New England shows. I know my kids would love it. I'm afraid of the "scream" factor though! :lol:

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 am

Wheat from the chaff.......

When I watch the "voted off" come back and sing in the finale I think to myself no wonder you're not in the finals. Just little things that separate the wheat from the chaff, but it's there and noticeable.

We took our son and a friend to see Idol on tour last year and have to say they were bored very early on. Their age may have contributed to some of that in that it's easy to watch it from the comfort of home in an hour long format but the change in scenery and crowds and mayhem may have been too much for them. I passed and took in a Phillies baseball game next to the arena where American Idol mayhem was taking place (in order that my son could bring a buddy) and the word coming out was they were ready to leave half way thru and asking "when will this be over?" most of the night.

So make sure their age and tolerance levels are up to the night. I must say I'd be more interested in seeing it on tour this year than last. :)

Back to last night's finale.....my son fell asleep before they announced the winner. He was pulling for David Cook all the way. I watched in another room and my wife said he fell asleep before hearing it was David Cook. I thought no problem we'll play him the Tivo in the moring and it will be just as exciting.....Nope! :P

This morning I turned the tv on to set it up for him and some morning news anchor was saying:

Well, David Cook is this year's American Idol Winner!!!

To which my son said: "well, guess we don't have to watch it now"

How soon they get over such trivial pursuits....... :D

:wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 22, 2008 11:10 am

I know my son (16) will be fine. My daughter (12) should be okay. She slept through an Ellis Paul show when she was 10, but that was after a long school day. I'll never forget that show at the Somerville Theater, where Antje opened. Think it was her CD release show or something like that. She sang Pearls and when the F word came out, my daughter looked at me bug eyed. Not like she's never heard it before, but I think the fact that this woman was on a stage in front of a crowd of people, saying that word .... well, that was just something. When my husband asked her how the show was, all she came up with was "the girl said the F word!" Too funny!

Return to “Say Something”