April 1 in EP Music History Trivia - Win a prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

April 1 in EP Music History Trivia - Win a prize!

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Folks,

To win a copy of the Ellis Paul CD released on April 1, 1994 (No fooling!) simply be the first person to reply to this posting with the following:

1. The name of the CD released 14 years ago today.

2. The name of your favorite song from the CD and WHY it's your favorite.

Wasn't that easy? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Karen

you're not foolin....that's an easy one. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:38 pm

This was the CD that started it all off for me in EP land! I'll say no more!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 am

Where have the 14 years gone??? :shock:

What a great album if you have yet to hear it.....jump on this one, folks.

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:50 am

I guess this was more difficult than I thought! ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:55 am

Karen ---

Since this album had an independent release by Ellis and then a label re-release could that be throwing folks off the trail as far as the release date?

I can offer a hint.....the wonderful Wikipedia article on Ellis by our own KarenZ will reveal the answer if you're out there lookin.... :wink:
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:43 am

This is my favorite Ellis album art. I'll sit on my hands for this, though, cuz I won Shelter recently and already own this one.

:wink:
Michael & Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:52 am

Oh, Cathy, mon ami...you have touched upon zomething with zee album art on zis one. I love zee cover on zis one, too!!! How do zee French zay eet? Oui...Oui. To me Ellis iz looking like zee Frenchman, no? 8)
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 am

Mais, oui! A Frenchman's eyes and ears, but the walk of a British thug, don't you think???

:lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:09 am

I chuckle when I remember the time the lyrics were misheard and a reviewer wrote "the walk of a British stud". Hee.....hee.....hee.... :D

OK....I know you all own this CD....but remember.....our goal is to SPREAD THE WORD.....so feel free to win the prize then give it away! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Stories

Autobiography of a Pistol

For lots of reasons but mainly the cleverness of the idea of the song that has the gun talking from it's point of view....and it rocks!!!

Ellis played this song the first time we saw him...mainstage Kerrville the year after he won New Folk and was invited back the next year for a full set. I could swear Ellis played an electric guitar for this one. I know DonCon was on percussion and there was an electric guitar up there, too, but who was playing it? All I know is that Ellis took the stage and owned it for the next 55 minutes and we were pinching ourselves. He was wearing an outfit very similar to the one he's wearing on the cover of Stories. 8)

Did I just win???

:shock:

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:48 pm

You most certainly just won. ;)

Please PM me with your snailmail address (I need to start keeping track of these) and I'll pop your prize into the mail asap. :)

I listened to a few songs from Stories this morning on the drive to work. My, my, my.....I forgot how PattiG wails on "River". I love singing her part. 8)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Would've been sumpthin if i'd gotten the answer wrong after all that. :shock:

Thanks for the great trivia and prize... :D I'll surely pass it on to help spread the word about Ellis Paul. Any chance it's signed??? :wink:

My address is

paddy @ Ellis Island

:wink:
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”