Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:25 pm

The Volunteers ~ Mark Erelli ~ give it a listen.....wow.

Songwriting at it's finest. I read on Mark's website just now that he's not even sure if it's any good. He's not sure if he will record it. If it's a song that will be relevant in the years to come.

I'd like to thank Mark for the song. Very moving.

And thanks to Jela for the link to Mark's website. The song and the story behind the song are not to be missed.

Should we re-post the link since Mark's thread just turned the page?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to Mark's download page where you'll find the mp3 for "Volunteers".

http://www.markerelli.com/index.php?page=cds&display=135

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:49 am

At noon today Mark Erelli is on the radio - a member concert is being broadcast by http://www.wumb.org

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 pm

I listened to the show over the Internet, it was recorded on 13th March and featured songs as well as some discussion in between. Mark is very articulate and always a pleasure to listen to.

The songs he sang were:

Undone
Evening's Curtain
The Only Way (which he said he wrote in 25mins!!!!)
My Darling
Comfort
Tired Eyes
Imaginary Wars
Volunteers
Passing Through

Just wish I could have been there for the live performance!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Jela,

I wasn't near a computer at noon, but thanks for the report! WUMB often re-broadcasts shows, so hopefully I'll catch it another time. Amazing about "The Only Way"! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

From Signature Sound Records

Postby Patti » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:46 pm

From Signature Sound Records:

Lori McKenna and Mark Erelli are going on the road with Faith Hill and Tim McGraw! This Signature duo will be opening all shows on Faith and Tim's tour throughout June and the first week of July. More info is available on Faith Hill's website. Faith is a huge Lori McKenna fan; she even recorded three of Lori's songs on her latest album, including the title track, "Fireflies." Lori is working on a new album of her own for Warner Bros., but you can still get all of her previous albums on our website.

Wahoo.... what a great opportunity for these two.....to think I just saw them together at a house concert about 2 months ago.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:32 pm

Hey Patti, just read this VERY news from the Signature Sounds E-letter that arrived in our collectives email boxes today. I was just about to come out here to the forum and post the news, but first I looked at an email from Ellis' forum (love the notification of topics folks are watching) - and see that you have already spread the good word.

My initial thoughts have me thinking this is a wonderful opportunity for Lori and Mark. I can easily picture Faith joining Lori and Mark every night on stage for one or more of the 3 songs Faith covers on her latest. Or vice versa....Lori joining Faith to help out on some of Lori's songs that Faith will have in her set. Should be a hoot...either way...and great exposure for both Lori and Mark. I'll be looking for tour dates in my neck of the woods.

I hope for their sakes that the crowds are attentive at each and every stop on the tour. It's not always the case with big name acts, where audiences can be somewhat dismissive of the openers and talk most of the way through.

Of course, as witnessed by you, me, KarenZ and others at Eagleview last summer, Lori, Mark and the Band can play louder than most anyone in the crowd can talk. :D

Wishing them both the best with this tour...and hope to hear reports along the way from anyone here lucky enough to see them in action. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:48 am

Patti,

WUMB announced Mark and Lori's "news" this week too. I can tell everyone at the radio station is thrilled and excited for them. Every time WUMB plays a Lori McKenna tune the DJ will comment about her being the only person they know personally who's been on Oprah....then of course there's the Faith Hill connection. :)

What a thrill it must be for Mark and Lori to know they will be touring with Faith and Tim....and what a thrill for us fans too! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm

I once spoke to Mark Erelli about how much he sounded like Ellis on one of his earlier records.....it was one particular song and I could of sworn Ellis was in the studio adding vocals. To which Mark explained that he's had folks tell him that before...but that no, it was all his vocals on the song. He said that he and Ellis share a certain "Northeastern Nasal" thing when they sing...or something like that.

I bring this up today because I was listening to Jason Spooner this morning and was digging how mush Jason sounds like Mark Erelli. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Mark is currently on tour with Lori McKenna supporting Faith Hill and Tim McGraw on their Soul2Soul Tour playing about 20 dates in huge arenas across Canada and the US. He has started to post a tour blog, so far he's written up two reports and they make for very interesting reading. Go to http://www.markerelli.com and click on the 'News' section.

The other day the tour was in Salt Lake City and Greg Pool who runs Mark's Yahoo discussion board was fortunate enough to get a guest backstage pass so he's written about that experience and also recorded a 15min interview with Mark which he's made available on http://treehouseconcerts.blogspot.com/

I have to say that I was green with envy reading the blog and listening to the podcast and told Greg so via the db.

The tour finishes with two dates in Boston's BankNorth Garden on 5th + 6th July.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Jela,

Thanks for the TreeHouse Concerts link. I'm listening now. Oh! Greg Pool just mentioned YOU! :) (He doesn't know how to pronounce your name either, J-Lo.) ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Ha ha.....fame at last! I was too modest to mention his passing reference to me!

Jela (or should that be Y-Lo!)

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Another great link...thanks... I love the way Mark writes, such a down to earth guy. I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed, cuz there is a good chance I will have great seats to the show in July!!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:00 am

Patti - you lucky girl! If you do go, please, please post a report so that we poor souls over this side of the Atlantic can get some vicarious enjoyment.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:52 am

A note from Mark Erelli's site:
Thursday, August 9th, 2007 2 pm
Boston, MA
WERS Live Music Week
WERS 88.9 FM Boston MA
Boston, MA

Tune in to WERS 88.9 FM (http://www.wers.org) for an interview and live acoustic performance by Mark.

This will, I think, be his first performance since becoming a father last Friday when baby Owen Andrew was born.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:04 am

Folks,

Mark Erelli will be on WUMB's Guest Mix tomorrow morning (Friday, Sept. 14) from 9am-10am EST. I'm pretty sure it's a repeat broadcast.

Click here to listen to WUMB online.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:53 am

Here's the link to the video of 'Volunteers'

'Volunteers'

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 am

That's a great song, nice to have a video of Mark performing it.

Love My Damn Channel, except for My Damn Channel's commercials. :?

I'll take 'em if that's what it takes to bring us artists like Mark Erelli. :wink:

Thanks for the link, Jela. I remember when Mark had the song up on his website, around Veteran's Day maybe, or perhaps Memorial Day. I liked it then plenty, but it's seems more powerful this time around. Guess it's the visual aspect of Mark's quiet intensity playing the song, along with the plaintive wail towards the end. Almost makes me feel like I'm there witnessing first hand the tragedies of this war. Mark's cries echoing a soldier's cries kind of thing. Very powerful!!!
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:58 pm

Mark is going to be at Stone Soup this weekend, and since the Patriots have the weekend off I hope that many of you will give us a visit!!

Paddy, Lori and Mark are going to be in New Hope later this month, will you be seeing them there? I gave my sister Lori's new record for Christmas and she is liking it a lot, I am trying to convince her she should go too!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Patti - have a great time and please post a report. I don't know when my next fix of Mark Erelli will be!!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Patti...thanks for the heads up on New Hope...I was unaware Lori and Mark would be playing in the philly area in January.....almost thought the dates would conflict with Ellis' 2 shows in the philly area....but a quick check of the tour dates page shows Ellis will play 2 shows here on Saturday, January 19th, 2008. The early show (1130am) at World Cafe Live is a Children's Concert.....the late show is at a club called Puck in Doylestown, Pa.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Here's a link to Lori and Mark's show in New Hope, Pa. on Jan. 25th:

http://www.winterfestival.net/events.htm

Concert -- Lori McKenna
DAY: Friday
DATE: 1/25/08
TIME: 8:00 pm
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 am

Patti - do tell! What was the Stone Soup concert like????

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:08 am

Sorry to have not reported yet, and I'm not one to take notes or setlists, thinking I will remember everything...but.... Doesn’t happen that way anymore.

First, Mark was excited to be playing his first show of the new year. He looked exceptionally handsome in a suit and tie. He was also excited to be starting out the new year with Zach ?, a bass player accompanying him. Talking to him a bit before and after the show you realize what a genuinely nice guy he is.....

My daughter and her friend were there and they were impressed. I'm not surprised but I think they were. Taylor probably remembers more of the songs than I do, but I do know his new song Volunteer blew me away which you know will lead right to The Only Way.

He ended the night with Crying by Roy Orbinson, done a cappella... I think that was his best sounding song all night. Really made you listen to his voice and he did it so well.

shari

Postby shari » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:00 am

Patti.

Thanks for your post. It caused me to look at Mark's website and see that he and Lori McKenna are playing at the Iron Horse tonight and it just so happens that I am going to be up in that area this afternoon and lucky me there were still tickets available for the late show! :-)

Last time I had tickets to see Lori McKenna, I got lost on the way to the Iron Horse and what should have been a 3 hour trip was a 7.5 hour trip and I only caught the last few songs of the show.... :-(

This time I will make it!

Shari

PS: I only take setlists for Ellis and Antje (and formerly for the Grateful Dead) but I will report back. :-)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Patti thanks for posting a report. Always super to hear what my other musical hero has been up to! The 'Zach' that played with him is usually in Josh Ritter's band and is producing ME's new CD.........am looking forward to its release later this year.

Shari - have a great time tonight, safe travels and look forward to your report in due course.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Just looked here to find the link the Jela supplied for Mark's performance of Volunteer, what a strong emotional song. And from Paddy's report he seems to be following up with The Only Way... which is perfect...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 am

Just now (finally) watched the video of Mark doing "Volunteer" on Don Was' channel of My Damn Channel. Wow.

Wasn't familiar with My Damn Channel, but here's the link to the Don Was channel:

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/explore.aspx?channel=59

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:34 am

This site has lots of links, you have to look around to find Mark's song from the link Karen gave, but the link from Jela goes right to Mark's video. If you do look around you can find the Lori and Mark's recording of Lori's How Romantic Is That? Lori and Mark both have new blogs/newletters on their own sites :)

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:49 am

Actually the link from Jela goes right to Mark's site and has the Lori song there :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Jela!

Mark is on WUMB's "Live at Noon" right now! (A re-broadcast from 2004.)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks Karen - I managed to catch the last 10 minutes.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Yay! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 am

From Mark Erelli's newsletter which arrived today, Mark talks about guilty pleasures. Thought it might make for a good topic thread here, and since Mark is not likely to join our little group of music lovers and chime in here, I thought we'd at least give credit where credit is due. :D

GUILTY PLEASURES

While cooped up in a van with other musicians on the road, conversation often
turns to the topic of guilty pleasures. Books, early MTV videos, movies,
hobbies, and especially music, are great sources of embarrassing confessions,
and the ensuing laughter helps the miles pass faster. I don't have too many
current guilty pleasures as far as music goes, but I have lots of bands that I
am guilty of following when I was younger and had yet to..."refine" my taste in
music. I shant name names, but think almost any hair-metal band working in the
late 1980's. Pour some sugar on me!

TV is a medium where my guilty pleasures are more up-to-date. Traditionally, I
never watched much TV, and what shows I did catch were nighttime dramas. Before
the writers' strike, I was always psyched for an episode of "The Unit," which I
have convinced myself is different because it is written by David Mamet. After
reading a particularly unflattering profile of its creator in the New Yorker, I
can no longer stomach "24." As far as cable goes, my wife and I were mildly
depressed when "Six Feet Under" came to a close, and don't even bother calling
the house when we're working through a season of "The Wire" on DVD.

Parenthood, however, has slightly altered my guilty pleasures. The Unit starts
at 9 pm, and unless I'm onstage, it's awfully hard stay up late enough to see
those numbers on the clock followed by a "p.m." Nine o'clock in the morning,
however, is another matter entirely. That hour is typically when Owen will be
up from his first nap, and if I'm not on tour then it's just the two of us and a
bottle (of milk). Fortunately, I have been able to develop a guilty pleasure to
pass the time during this feeding...the Ellen DeGeneres show.

I know this isn't very highbrow or edgy, and I'm probably deflating someone's
notion of me by admitting this, but I have grown to love Ellen. Maybe it's
sleep deprivation, but I find myself laughing at the dancing, the web videos she
shows (so I don't have to waste time on YouTube myself), and her good-natured
sense of humor. Also, since I never listen to the radio, Ellen's show is the
only place I actually hear mainstream pop artists. This is good because I spend
a lot of time in the van with fellow musicians railing against said artists, and
if you're going to look down your nose at something, you ought to at least have
heard it for yourself.

So, there you have it, I'm outed. Much as I am tempted to mount a lengthier
defense of myself here, I hear Owen stirring. If we hurry, we can catch the
last 20 minutes of Ellen.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Paddy - great idea for a thread 'Guilty Pleasures' - will you set it up on the Say Something topic?

When I read the newsletter this morning I have to say I was very suprised to read that he doesn't listen to the radio????

If I had to choose I'd rather give up the TV than the radio.

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Cool!! Thanks Jela!!!

I must be doing something wrong though, when I went to the downloads page it had Crowded House's Don't Dream it's Over.....which is good too!! I'll try back later.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Jela...

Funny...I don't listen to much radio these days, myself. I've often wondered about artists that make music and how they go about listening to or filtering out other music in order to keep their creative juices not only flowing but their own. Could be that Mark's listening to music he's placed on a personal mp3 player versus the radio....everyone seems to be going that route these days....I'll try and catch up one of these days. I had one given to me as a gift and never even opened it. When I learned my young nephew was JONES'n for an Ipod and didn't have one, I ended up sending him mine for his birthday. I am SO OLD SCHOOL it scares me.... :shock:

Cracks me up to hear Mark's hooked on Ellen.... :D

Spoken like a true stay at home dad...it's happens to the best of us.... :wink:

And the thread for Guilty Pleasures is coming soon..... :wink:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:56 pm

annieb wrote:Cool!! Thanks Jela!!!

I must be doing something wrong though, when I went to the downloads page it had Crowded House's Don't Dream it's Over.....which is good too!! I'll try back later.

Annie

LOL!! Now I know what I did!! I was responding to a post from Feb 2007!! :oops: :lol:

One of these days I'll get the hang of this board and remember that some threads have more than one page!

In the meantime, thanks for putting up with my blunders....:)

Annie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Annie - you can get to the last posting by clicking on the little 'page' icon against the name of the person who made the latest post. It's a quick way of getting to see the latest without having to scroll through the stuff from the beginning.

'Don't dream its over' is great isn't it? The guy could sing nursery rhymes and I'd be happy!

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:Annie - you can get to the last posting by clicking on the little 'page' icon against the name of the person who made the latest post. It's a quick way of getting to see the latest without having to scroll through the stuff from the beginning.

Ohhh!! Cool, thanks Jela!

'Don't dream its over' is great isn't it? The guy could sing nursery rhymes and I'd be happy!

I loooove Crowded House! Got to see them this past fall, they were EXCELLENT! Love Neil Finn. His son Liam opened for them, he was great too!!

Thanks for the tip :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:20 am

Richard + Jela wrote:

Jela

What a great cover of this classic song from the 80's. Just over at Mark Erelli's website to hear this download of the month. It's fantastic, cut live with a couple of other players. Mark has a mini blog there about the song.

Jela....we're bordering on Mark singing the phonebook and I'd be happy. 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:07 am

Yeh - too right

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:23 am

Are any of you Boston based 'dbers' going to tonight's show at Passim's??? If you do, would love to read a report - thanks.

Jela

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey all

I love Mark Erelli too..I think his lyrics and music are just amazing!!

He is a regular guy too..I was so happy for him when he had his baby son this fall.

I love his newsletters too...

Elle :o :o

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 am

Annie wrote:

I loooove Crowded House! Got to see them this past fall, they were EXCELLENT! Love Neil Finn. His son Liam opened for them, he was great too!!

Thanks for the tip :)

Annie

Been wondering about Liam Finn since seeing his name pop up here. Since the Late Show with David Letterman gets tivo'd it affords me the chance to turn in early. I had a week's worth of shows sitting out there and one of them had Liam Finn (I wanted to type Neeson just now) on as the musical performer. Quite the talented young offspring, I'd say. It was a duo featuring Liam and another singer/percussionist who also really impresses. Liam starts the song on electric guitar and switches to drums for the big finish. Very cool..... 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Watching the Americana Music channel on tv with the volume off and look over to see a freeze frame image of a familiar enough looking guy standing in Fenway Park singing the national anthem. It was Mark Erelli and his song "Imaginary Wars" was playing..... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm

I've heard Mark frequently on the Americana channel. But I've never heard Mr. Paul. :cry: Not on Adult Alternative either. :cry: :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Cool revelation the other day, I heard Jeff Black's "Higher Ground" on Americana and realized I might have discovered him there many moons ago with that very song. 8)

I had no idea Mark Erelli songs were up there, but I really haven't tuned into the music channels on my tv in a very long time. :oops:

And yeah......why no Ellis Paul? :?
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri May 23, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Is anyone going to the CD release shows at Passim next weekend????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Jela, any chance you and Richard will be there for the release party? :P

Seems like y'day Mark was just starting to raise this barn..... :wink:

Can't wait to hear it................good to know it's up! :D
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”