New blog alert - Ellis talkin about change

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

New blog alert - Ellis talkin about change

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 pm

I often miss the front page here, so I was excited to see a new blog out there yesterday that has Ellis talkin about change. It's timely for sure and even more so now that experts say unless Hilary wins in Texas and Ohio today that her campaign for the presidency may be over.

http://www.ellispaul.com/index.php?page=comments
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 pm

I know we're always quoting Sam Baker (Things change, they change alot) :) .....and some things do change....but some things don't change.

There's been a bit of discussion on the Richard Shindell list about Pete Seeger's song "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy" and how Pete wasn't allowed to perform the song on The Smothers Brothers show in 1967 (he did perform it the following year - linked HERE). CBS executives starting screening all the shows to make sure content of shows adhered to CBS' policy disallowing the "active support of any cause". Weren't allowed to support PEACE. The show was cancelled, some say, because ot the Brothers' continuing satire against the President (Johnson) and war (Vietnam).

Read more about The Smothers Brothers show HERE.

And here we are 40 years later....and some things have changed (less restrictions regarding the First Amendment, for sure), and some things sure haven't changed....we're still at war....but I am hopeful that the winds of change are blowin'....

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Loved the Smothers Brothers as a kid in the 60's....

Even though most of the political stuff sailed over my head.... :?

"Oh my lord look how the weather has changed" ep

Have you seen how David Letterman satirizes our presidents?..... :shock:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”