Neil Young

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Neil Young

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:14 pm

There is an old - circa 1971 - BBC television studio performance - where a very young Neil performs several of his classics, some so new at the time they had yet to be recorded....like : Heart of Gold. :shock:

It's airing on cable tv these days.....on VH1 Classics channel.

The show is one from a series called " BBC Jewels. "

It's such a timeless piece of footage....it looks so fresh.

It runs 30 min....and has Neil bouncing between guitar and piano for the many classic songs played here ----- captured for all to see, all these years later.

Enjoy!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:37 am

Just saw some information about a collection of Neil Young covers by a bunch of women. Lori Mckenna and Jill Sobule were the only names I recognized. It is called
Cinnamon Girl: Women Artists Cover Neil Young for Charity

A quick listen didn't have me loving them.. I guess because I liked Neil's version so much!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:55 am

Nice idea...tough act to follow. I'll look out for it. Sometime's it's the original artist or bust for me. Often the case with Neil Young, that is until Ellis Paul came along with a stirring cover of "Comes A Time."

Joni Mitchell's "Blue" album turned my head around about music back in high school. My Neil Young loving and suede fringe jacket wearing friend turned me onto the magic of both Neil Young and Joni Mitchell.

I've only enjoyed folks covering Joni Mitchell here and there. Liz Longley, of Berklee School of Music in Boston (wink wink) and Adam Duritz and Counting Crows are about the only artists I can say have done her music justice. Even James Taylor's cover of Joni's "River" on his latest Christmas time release left me scratching my head and asking WHY???

I softened a bit over the holidays listening to it...but at first!!! :shock:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am

Patti,

I just got this cd on sunday. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, except to fast forward to Lori McKenna's cover of Needle and the Damage Done.....well done!!

I'll let ya know when I've had some time to listen to it.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:59 am

Just saw a list of the female artists on this project and was surprised to see only a few names that were familiar. Where've I been??

Nah...lotsa great talent under the radar...up and coming. :D

Really hope to hear more about this one as folks get to it. Spotlight's on you for now, Annie.... :P Nah...when ya get the chance to give it the once over. 8)

I'm looking forward to hearing Lori's Needle and Damage Done. Local artist (Philly area) Darcy Miner has a track here, too, and her sound captured me last summer when I missed her set at a festival but picked up her cd. Good stuff!!! :D
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”