Feb. 20, 2008 lunar eclipse EP trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Feb. 20, 2008 lunar eclipse EP trivia

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm

"The moon's all but eclipsed tonight" -- Ellis Paul

If you want to see the full moon aglow in a dramatic range of colors -- a shift that could be anything from bright orange to blood red to dark brown or dark gray -- then look out your window starting at 8:43pm EST tonight.

A lunar eclipse sequence will begin with a partial eclipse starting at 8:43 p.m. and will end at 12:09 a.m. Thursday.

The total eclipse of the moon will occur at 10:01pm and last until 10:51pm, NASA said.

Mid-eclipse is expected at 10:26pm

Scientists said the this lunar eclipse is "well-placed" for viewers in North America. The eclipse will not be observable in eastern Asia or Australia.

Anyone know the EP song containing the line of lyric above?

(Thanks to Paddy for the trivia idea.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Sitting here listening to this song and have to say it seems like y'day my wife and I were listening to this song for the very first dozen times. :wink: To think it's been a decade or more...... :cry: We've had light snow falling all day here so I'm not sure we'll be able to see it clearly. I hope this reaches folks in time to check it out wherever they are tonight. Should be a sight to see. :)

Easily one of our favorite Ellis Paul songs...... among many. 8)

Thanks for the late night trivia, Karen.

Much appreciated.... :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 pm

The sky here is perfectly clear. Big full moon. I'm gonna go have another look....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm

"they chose a star to gaze upon" ---- Bill's song Bound To Be playing, now. :shock:

I'm gonna have a look now, too.....
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Just saw it, clear as can be in the Eastern sky. Either my old eyes are playing tricks on me.....I'm seeing a blue ring around it.

Somebody tell me they see Blue, too!!!

Please!!! :lol:
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 am

We may not get another Friday Night. :wink:

I like this song too. I think it's enchanting.

Sorry I missed the eclipse. I didn't know it was occuring. Last night it seemed that the clouds were trying to keep the moon covered up here, but that was all before 9:00 pm. It was like the clouds were playing peek-a-boo with the moon when I was looking. Perhaps it was in anticipation of the things that were to come.

Thanks Karen for posting this.
db

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:23 pm

I had my nephews, 5 and 7, for a sleepover last night. They brought telescopes, binoculars and the 5-year-old brought his sunglasses to watch the eclipse. Too cute!

They were so excited watching the eclipse, which was a first for both of them. Nothing like seeing it through the eyes of a child! I so miss having little ones around.

As an aside to this topic, Joshua, the 5-year-old, is the one I gave Dragon Fly Races to for Xmas. We talked about all of the songs and he told me his favorite was "You Are My Sunshine" because it was "soooo cute!" A little old man in a 5-year-old body!

I'm off to catch up on some lost sleep!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:11 pm

monicar

Sunglasses.....too funny!!! Can't be too careful, can we? Our lil guy, at age 9, was giddy with excitement as the eclipse progressed. He was viewing it from several vantage points in and out of the house. He dashed out once as I was outside viewing it and said "Dad, you have got to come upstairs and see this!!!" as he had been viewing it from a window upstairs. :lol: At one point he came out with our digital camera and wanted to take some photos of the eclipse. Next he grabbed a pair of binoculars his Great Uncle had given him when he was much younger. You get the picture. I put this on a line with the excitement I felt when I was a young boy and the space race was in it's infancy, when one couldn't help looking at the moon with a newfound wonder. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:21 pm

This Ellis Paul classic was found on 2 of Ellis' early releases. It first appeared on Am I Home and found another home on Say Something. I'm pretty sure it was re-recorded for the second go round. It remains one of my all time favorite of EP's songs. :wink: Has anyone heard Ellis sing this one lately?

Friday Night
from the album Am I Home

The moon must know it's Friday, he's been drinking all night
Crooning and swooning,
he says come dance in the half-light
So you whirl out a step, choreographed by wine
And you dance with the moon, the stars, and the stop sign
(chorus)

In my mind, I see a lifetime of tonights
But I'll keep that thought sealed tight
Live for the moment that is tonight
There's no rain in the gutters, the moon's fully bright
Let it shine all it's power,
I may not get another Friday night...

You whirl and a child-like wisdom glows on your face
The moon you have embraced You left him spell-bound, staggered, in his starry, starry place
Round, round, round, he's spinning round you, round you
Dancing, twirling, in a wild lunar chase

Though the moon's all but eclipsed tonight
By curtains and candlelight He's tapping at me through the window pane
In his top hat and cane...

© Ellis Paul/End Construction Publishing (ASCAP) 1992
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”