Feb. 13 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Feb. 13 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:42 pm

When he looked
Into a starry sky upon Jupiter,
With it's cold moons
Making their weary rounds.
-- Ellis Paul

You guys are freaky. ;) (Bringing up this song in yesterday's trivia!)

On this day in 1633, officials of the Inquisition arrested the astronomer Galileo in Rome. Though Galileo was a devout Roman Catholic, his church said his ideas challenged the Bible—and that was heresy. Galileo agreed to plead guilty to receive a lighter sentence, and lived under guard in his own house until his death eight years later. According to popular legend, after recanting his theory about the Earth's rotation, Galileo allegedly muttered the phrase, "And yet it moves," but there is no evidence that he actually said this.

Anyone know the name of the song containing the Ellis Paul lyrics above? You can find the answer in the Galileo Wikipedia article linked here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Found this in the wikipedia article. Where's Ellis? :wink:

Galileo in popular culture

There is a play called Life of Galileo by the German dramatist Bertolt Brecht.
Galileo is mentioned in Queen's song, Bohemian Rhapsody.
The American duo Indigo Girls released a song in 1992 about the "king of night vision" whose head was "on the block." Entitled "Galileo," the song hit the #10 spot on the Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart, the biggest hit to date for the musical duo.
Galileo is also the title of a song by Amy Grant.
The Philadelphia Atmospheric Sludge Metal band named their 2005 full length "The Galilean Satellites". Where in most songs are about Jupiter and its 4 Galilean moons, specifically Europa.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Paddy,

Look again. 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Woohoo! Couldn't find the Ellis reference in the Galileo article at first, but hit refresh, and Karen Z. strikes again :!:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Karen

I see it now.

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Did Galileo Pray?

Great song...nice singalong when the audience is in the mood. I like the song alot (I'd walked in Tienamen Square months before the tanks rolled in.....so I relate to the line about the young man who stopped the tanks in Tienamen) :shock:

Just finished re-reading Ellis' blog: Intelligent Design or Bad Idea. It's always fun to go back and read those blogs from time to time and see how Ellis' mind works sometimes as well as some of the responses the blogs elicit from fans who have just read them and post comments.

For years, when my wife and I would go see Ellis live, towards the end of the show with requests flying everywhere, Ellis would often play this song. I think she grew to dislike this song for the simple fact that she had a handful of other songs she would have rather heard Ellis play at the time. She knew setlists were finite, and we were gettin close to the end. Truth is, it's the chorus that gets her, or should I say, doesn't. She always found it a little too, I don't know......simple? She never sang along, and bided her time til the song and singalong was over....... :?

Don't shoot the messenger.......I love that line. 8)

I use it on her all the time!!! :D
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”