Feb. 12 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Feb. 12 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 pm

"But Lincoln's eyes of stone stare cool
As if bored of the reflecting pool
Or hardened by what's hidden from his sight"
-- Ellis Paul

Folks,

Abraham Lincoln was born on this date in 1809. Holy Moly. That'll be 200 years in another year! :shock:

Lincoln was known to have stated "My best friend he is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."

Anyone want to tell us the name of the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Great trivia, Karen.....this is an aside...my wife became obsessed a while back with Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, while reading a new novel that's out about her life. This happens to be one of her favorites of Ellis' older songs.

I recall that once, a few years ago, she phoned from a business trip to our nation's capitol and as luck would have it the cherry blossom's were blooming everywhere. She swore we'd have to plan a trip together to witness their beauty firsthand, together. I sang her back an Ellis line:

the lucky ones, if they're out tonight
will see cherry blossoms blooming

:wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Paddy,

It's always fun for me to read folks' personal recollections about songs, so thanks. :)

My favorite memory of this song was the time a friend, who had never heard the song live and really WANTED to hear it, shouted it out as a request at the Mucky Duck in Houston. It was one of those marathon 3-set Duck shows where by the 3rd set EP gets a little loose....and the crowd is already loose (it's Texas, after all!)...so he tried it....and almost pulled it off. I think he got through the verses OK lyrically (with a little help from the audience as I recall), but it didn't really sound like the song much. ;) But it was great fun. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Karen,

I'm so glad you brought this up. It rings a familiar bell, and falls under the category of "be careful what you wish for" as it relates to asking your favorite singer songwriters to perform on of their old songs, in essence, on demand, that's to say via an audience request during any given concert.

There's no harm in asking, of course. It's just that if the song has been off an artist's setlist for a while, well, you just never know what you're gonna get. You might get a spot on version of the song. You might get a "give it the old college try" version, and with a little help from his friends the lost lyrics can be provided by fans up front that know the songs line by line.

I like it when they try, but sometimes, it's better when they don't. I'll give you a recent case in point, where I wished we (the audience) hadn't requested a particular (and GREAT) song in concert. It was at last week's John Gorka show (the early one) at Tin Angel in Philly. Between songs, when the audince has a chance to shout requests, someone a few tables behind me suggested "Where the Bottles Break." Ooooh, I thought, haven't heard that one in concert in years, that'd be great. Sensing that John may not have heard that request over all the "others" being shouted out, I decided to take it upon myself to make sure John knew that at least a few of us wanted to hear an old favorite. So I bellowed out:

Where the Bottles Break

It caught John's attention and he immediately replied that he would try it, that he had been working on it again, lately. I was all set for a stirring rendition of this most powerful of John Gorka songs.

Yikes!!! :shock:

John's Martin guitar (the one I think he would ordinarily play this song on) was not available (he had told the audience an airline had damaged it) and so John set about trying to position two (2) capos on the neck of his guitar(in different places) to get his guitar to the right place for the song. Trouble was, it must have been in the wrong place. Rather than stopping to get it right, John seemed to go with the floow of where the guitar was tuned. The result was a rather "unfamiliar" version of this John Gorka gem. :shock:

I'm trying to be kind, here. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am

Still no answer for this trivia.... :shock:

Say Something. :lol:

that's my final hint.... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 am

Folks,

There can't always be a prize! Let's just have some fun with it! :D

KarenZ

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 am

It's Washington,DC 5/91

I think I was there in May '91, too. Or maybe it was '90. It was right after Tienaman Square, which Ellis also mentions in a song. Anyone know it?

Michael&Cathy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 am

That's correct.....songs by Ellis Paul for a thousand, Alex. :D

And Truth will march in Birmingham
It will block the tanks in Tiananmen.

It's the daily double!!! :lol:
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”