Christmas Fun Survey

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Way to go Monica! I actually wasn't sure of the answer and was waiting for Dean to make the determination. :)

I'll pop the CD in the mail as soon as I can.

Thanks again Dean! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes congrats Monica - I'm sure you'll enjoy the prize!

Dean, you've now set a standard for next year's holiday season!!!

Jela

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Dear Jela:

What shoes to fill - OMGoodness :o Does this mean I have to think up 25 new questions for next year - Oh My! I better get started. :D

Having these quizes are fun! I really like the EP song one you did for New Years Eve and they way we had to post only one song at a time was cool.

There are bunches of talented people out in EP land - perhaps a talent show is in order??? Did someone just say talent show? Perhaps we should get practicing for August in Vermont. 8)
Dean

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone!!! That was great fun to read everyone's responses all along.
And I'm very excited to have guessed correctly. (It was early this a.m. and only because I sort of fell asleep with my laptop last night that the discussion board I had been checking was on the screen when I opened it this morning.)
I'm so looking forward to the Legacy CD!!!! Believe it or not, I do not currently own it, though I may have had it many moons ago in the tape form or at least wanted to! It is that recording of Patty Griffin's "I Write the Book" that first blew me away with her talent, as I heard it a few times on the radio and had to find out more about her. I may be wrong, but might that be the only album on which that song is recorded?
So thank you very much!!!!
Monica
And hello to all and best wishes for a new year of peaceful happenings.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:28 pm

monica -- I'm pretty sure legacy ii is the only place you'll find a recorded version of patty griffin's "I write the book" -- what a song!!! It was our introduction to this amazing artist, too!!!

In fact, we missed Ellis Paul's "ashes to dust" in the # 2 slot on the cassette for the longest time fast forwarding to patti griffin's song and then greg brown's "who would've thunk it?" My wife gave it a listen and we soon embarked upon our musical journey into the world of one Ellis Paul. 8)

Funny side story.....with tix in hand to see Patti Griffin for the first time (way, way back in the day) we had the chance to see her perform an instore at a loval record store in Houston. She was out promoting "living with ghosts" and we saw her in the afternoon and later that evening.

It was then and there, at Planet Records on Westheimer, that I first saw her perform. Afterwards I told her how I'd found her on legacy ii and LOVED her song "i write the book" -- and asked her if she was playing it live these days. She said it's a good song for her to open with as it helped stretch out her vocals. I went on to tell her that when I was a kid my dad always called me paddy -- to which she replied: "ahh!!! paddyinthepub"

She signed my copy of her debut cd to "paddyinthepub" and I thanked her and told her i was looking forward to the show later that night at Rockefeller's in the Heights. Imagine my surprise when she took the stage and the first thing she said was "Is paddyinthepub??? This goes out to him."

"I write the book"

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Great Story Paddy.....:)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed that one, Patti...

Funny thing about these artists....you have a one on one moment with them and it lasts you a lifetime. On the other side of that coin, an artist like Patty Griffin meets so many fans over the span of time that passes between meetings that she's likely to forget that one special moment in time. Alas...when Flaming Red came out, I was living in Pittsburgh and got the chance to say hi to her after a Border's in store performance and then later that evening at Rosebud's in the strip district.

When it was my turn to say hi and get my copy of Flaming Red signed, she said "hi...who should i sign this to?" Of course, I tried to remind her of our chance encounter in Houston a few years earlier....and said to her:

"it's me........paddyinthepub"

Nothing...... :cry:

She signed it:

"paddyinthepub, we meet again!"

That was good enough for me..... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”