Josh Ritter

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Josh Ritter

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:47 pm

Hey everybody,

Here's a link to Josh Ritter's recent live performance/interview on The World Cafe. And he's returning the The Club Cafe in Pittsburgh on August 1 :!: I'm listening to the World Cafe broadcast now...Josh has a full band performing with him.

Josh Ritter on The World Cafe - June 19, 2006

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:30 am

Karen, very stupied question - but is Josh Ritter related to the late John Ritter?

barb62

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am

barb, allow me to jump in.

John Ritter was related to another popular artist - his dad, Tex Ritter.

As far as Josh and John Ritter, don't know that one.

I'd guess no.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Barb, I don't think they're related. Josh's parents are both academics - scientists, I believe.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

thanks for clarifying this guys! I did know that John Ritter's dad was Tex Ritter - that is why I thought Josh could be his grandson.

barb62

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:51 pm

For those in the Boston area, Josh is playing a free concert for WBOS on August 3rd.

Check www.WBOS.com for more info.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:17 pm

Leaving work on time today so I can get my work-out in at the Y then head to the Club Cafe to see Josh Ritter. Hard to believe he's playing such a tiny (50-60 seat) club after having seen him at the 250-seat Memorial Hall in Shelburne Falls, MA this past May.

For all you Josh fans, he will be a doing a live in-studio this afternoon on WYEP. Probably in the 3pm EST hour. (The times are not very precise.)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Oh, you are too lucky!! WTMD played him today. Ahh, I wish I could come too.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:13 am

Josh Ritter was fabulous Tuesday night. It wasn't any cooler inside the Club Cafe than it was outside. Even though here's probably no more than 50 seats in the place, there was easily 120 bodies CRAMMED in. Josh and band-mates were literally dripping-wet. It was painful trying to squeeze through to the restroom or the merch table. The crowd was attentive but enthusiastic....and at the artist's request it was a non-smoking show. One more reason to love Josh. ;) He stepped away from the mic and did "Wings" (my favorie song from Hello Starling unplugged for the final encore. Spine-tingling. I just love how his face reflects pure joy at what he's doing. He's so darn cute too. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 am

Yeah, pure joy, like a kid doing something really fun, but maybe a little naughty, like playing in a big mud puddle.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Josh Ritter and his and the band will make their national television debut on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" this Friday night, Aug. 11, 2006. The show airs on NBC at 12:35am EST.

Now if we could only get Ellis Paul on Conan..... :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Yea, I really don't get it? Conan and his peers bring on plenty of under the radar acts and I often scratch my head, like where's Ellis ?

Afterall, there is the Boston connection. :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:31 am

Here's a link to Josh's recent appearance on 'Conan' - Enjoy

http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/?id=368477fd-4246-4b01-b3b3-e46473aa1b5b&delivery=stream

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Folks,

Here's a video link of Josh performing "girl in the war" on CBS Late Night with David Letterman - Jan. 12, 2007. (First is a 15-second commercial.)

Josh Ritter on Letterman - Jan. 12, 2007

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 am

Folks,

Josh will be the guest today on WUMB's Live at Noon. 12pmEST.

www.wumb.org

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:17 pm

I've listened to the new CD once and have to say that on first listen (which admittedly was in the car) it was a real disappointment. I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to listen to it some more.

All his previous CDs have been fabulous and his live performances quite something. A few years ago he supported Joan Baez on tour over here, they played a local venue which seats about 1800 people, it was sold out and most were there for the main act - Josh played solo and from the first note had the audience in the palm of his hand - you literally could hear a pin drop because he was so mesmerising.

We have tickets to see him again very soon and really look forward to that - the tickets are selling out fast so I was on the phone to the box office as soon as I heard he was coming back our way.

Anyone else heard the new CD yet?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:43 am

Jela...I'm hearing and reading similar passing glance reviews. I gave it too quick a listen one day on the listening station at a local books/music store. No way to judge, obviously, but I was left a lil cool by what I heard. Let us know if it grows on you.
paddy

herve

Postby herve » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:19 am

Hello everyone,

I think it's the kind of album which I don't lie much although i know it's a good one! Weird feeling, like I *know* I'm missing something :? I guess the bonus EP has the best tracks and that the next album will be closer to Golden Age of Radio in terms of production. This one is over-produced, i think. Sam Baker is at the other end of the rainbow, i would say. But obviously, his fans love the new album, I mean Josh's.

Hervé

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:18 am

I've heard that Josh's new album is "different" but with some good things on it. It arrived in the mail a few days ago, but it (along with 3 other new CDs) is still in the cellophane wrapper since I've been mired down in family stuff. Hopefully in a few days I'll have some comments to share...

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Last night was 'Josh Ritter' night and we saw him, with band, in concert. This was the 8th time we'd seen him live and even though he was nearing the end of a very long tour (has been on the road since August) he was, as always, just brilliant. He is so enthusiastic and that really comes across in performance. He played quite a few songs from the latest CD but did mix it up with songs from a selection of his back catalogue so we had some really quite loud and raunchy (!) songs as well as quiet acoustic ones. Also Dylan's 'When I paint my masterpiece' We'd heard that he had been doing Springsteen's 'The River' (one of my faves) but he didn't play that last night - would've loved to hear him sing it tho'

I've been playing the new CD over and over during the past weeks so it is growing on me but I still feel that the production doesn't do him justice - it's too busy. Seeing the songs performed live does really add to the undertsanding and appreciation of them. He is so talented and such a wonderful songwriter.

I remember seeing him solo a few years back when there was about 10 of us in the audience - oh that I could see him play solo again....he's doing a benefit at Passims soon - are any of you Bostonians going? If so, I'd love a report. I think you will be in for a very special evening.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:18 am

It always seems to be feast or famine. I hadn't bought anything new for a good while then at one time I purchased the new releases by Iron and Wine, James Blunt, Alison Krauss and Robert Plant, The Eagles, Josh Ritter and, of course, Ellis' Dragonfly Races. (I've also had Sugarland's "Little wood guitar" on repeat a good bit but admit that I have not listened to anythiing else on their CD.) :oops: I've spent quite a bit of time with each - except the Josh. I must admit, I've only given it one listen.....and I know I should give it a few more spins, but getting through the first track was really kinda painful. Jela, your description of the CD being "busy" is perhaps too kind a word. ;) I have no memory of any of the other tracks - although I have heard "right moves" quite a few times on WUMB and like it every time....which tells me that I should give the entire disk another try.....but after that initial listen I've been hesitant. Part of the reason is because the others CDs that I listed above are all so darn wonderful and I've been going back to each of them! I have loved Josh's previous stuff, so I'll try to make another extra effort to listen to the latest one again. Many artists seem compelled to spread their musical wings.....and as much as I can appreciate that, there is already so much change to adjust to day in and day out, that sometimes I just want things to remain the same! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, I've given it 3 or 4 more listens. There's a couple pretty good pop tunes, but my biggest complaint is the overall audio quality - which I find very "tinny".....causing me to have difficulty easily hearing most of the lyrics. I have to strain.....and even then, I can't hear what he's saying most of the time which really lessens my enjoyment. Also, along with the incomprehensible vocals, there's a certain Dylan-esque vocal quality that I hadn't heard in Josh's voice before. Jela, did you hear that at all? I don't know.....I don't think this is a CD that I'll return to often....although it's on Mark Erelli's list of top CDs for the year. Some of the "busy" production (to quote Jela) is pretty much noise to my ears.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 pm

I gave it a spin about amonth ago...listening station at a book store. It was a passing glance at the music, but it was a little too busy for me too, so I passed on it. I still have to go back and hear his last record, The Animal Years. Appreciate your candor here, Karen. It's not always easy to say something less than positive about artists offerings.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Yes Karen - it was the production that I found really disappointing especially on first listen. As I've now listened to it a lot more I can appreciate the songs but still don't like the production.

I also saw that it was on Mark Erelli's top 10, would it be in mine? Don't think so.

I saw also that Zach from Josh's band is producing Mark's new CD due out in 2008.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 am

Folks,

For those of you who missed Josh's appearance on Letterman Tuesday night, here's a YouTube video link of his performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FogpxtGWnr8

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Re: Josh Ritter

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15 am

Absolutely great show last night in Brighton (practically on our doorstep) where Josh Ritter did a headline show, fitting in around playing support to Ray LaMontagne on his current UK tour.

Billed as 'acoustic' the band comprised Mark Erelli :) and Zack Hickman. Mark variously played electric guitar, lap steel and mandolin with Zack on double bass. Josh Ritter never stopped smiling, played lots of songs from a range of his CDs + new material. Crowd was brilliant, singing along to many of the songs. Biggest cheer was for 'Kathleen' They suprised us all by doing a Tom Petty cover 'King's Highway'

Mark Erelli got a chance to do two of his own songs 'Volunteer' and 'Five Beer Moon' which also got a great reception from the sold-out crowd.

Just fabulous evening and will go down as one of my favourite gigs of the year.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:29 pm

...and here are a few photos from last night's concert

Josh Ritter, Brighton, UK

Josh just smiles and smiles the whole way through a concert; in fact having seen him a fair number of times since 2002 I can't recall a concert where he did anything other than smile - he quite clearly loves what he does.

He is so photogenic and just so adorable!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Paddy, I'd forgotten that these pix had already been posted :oops: when I said that I'd post links to them here.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Saw Josh Ritter on Tuesday night here's what I posted on another board

Last night's show was a solo acoustic one, in a wonderful venue (converted church) with just the best sound system! Great intimate feel to the show, cabaret seating with pews at a higher level on three sides, where we sat and consequently had brilliant sight lines to the stage.

Yesterday was the official release of the new CD 'So Runs The World Away' although it has had an earlier release date in Ireland and on download. Bought a copy and have been listening today*.

Such a great show - I heart Josh Ritter! He always looks as if he's REALLY enjoying himself on stage - his enthusiasm is so infectious.

Set List

1. Southern Pacifica
2. Change of Time
3. Rumors
4. Good Man
5. Locks
6. The Curse
7. Folk Bloodbath
8. Harrisburg
9. Moon River (cover Lyrics - Johnny Mercer, Music - Henry Mancini) off mic
10. Lark
11. In the Dark (all lights turned out, just candlelight from the tables)
12. Stuck to You
13. Kathleen
14. The Temptation of Adam
15. Who Knows Where the Time Goes (cover - Sandy Denny)
16. Another New World
17. Bright Smile
18. Dogs or Whoever

Encore
19. ?? Song for Sarah Palin
20. Come and Find Me

This was his only UK date, sold out very quickly but he will be back with a band later this year - can't wait.

*I just can't get enough of 'The Curse' - where does he get the inspiration from to write a song about an archaeologist and an Egyptian mummy who are in love????? Amazing!

I've been listening to the new CD since (on constant play in the car) and it's just brilliant. If he comes your way, don't miss him. Karen he's in your neck of the woods very soon.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Folks,

Josh Ritter has written a novel called Bright's Passage. You can download the first chapter for free at this link:

Josh Ritter - Bright's Passage

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 pm

If you're quick you can download eight tracks for free at http://noisetrade.com/joshritter

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”