The Eagles

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Eagles

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 am

Folks,

The Eagles will make their first-ever awards show performance at "The 41st Annual CMA Awards" airing live from the Sommet Theater in Nashville on Wednesday, Nov. 7 (8-11pm EST) on the ABC Television Network. The band just released (Oct. 30) their first studio CD in 28 years: Long Road Out of Eden which is available exclusively at WalMart. (Starting tomorrow WalMart will also have the special holiday edition of Sugarland's Enjoy the Ride CD which includes Ellis Paul's song "Little Wood Guitar"! BeckyG don't you just love WalMart?) :)

Watch the video to the Eagles' "How Long" HERE and read lots more about the new CD HERE. Gosh, they sound as aweseome as ever! :) (Not too shabby to look at either!) ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 pm

Where does the time go? 28 years...wow...about time, I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up...Will be watching the CMA show for The Eagles. I love these guys and especially anything Don Henley puts his voice to.

Sugarland works for me, too...just love watching Kristian onstage have all that fun....and Jennifer is pretty fun to watch, too. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Folks,

I am really loving the new Eagles CD (it's actually a double disk). They sound so darn good.....and the writing is exquisite - even some of the song titles!

"no more walks in the woods"
"busy being fabulous"

And my favorite:
"Frail grasp on the big picture"

Here's the last verse from "frail grasp":

And we pray to our Lord
Who we know is American
He reigns from on high
He speaks to us through middlemen
And he shepherds his flock
We sing out and we praise His name
He supports us in war
He presides over football games
And the right will prevail
All our troubles shall be resolved
We have faith in the Lord
Unless there's money or sex involved
Frail grasp on the big picture

The one word to describe the title track "long road out of eden" is BIG. BIG sound, BIG theme, BIG in length (10+ minutes), but it is so very very good. Here's some of the lyrics:

Weaving down the American highway
Through the litter and the wreckage, and the cultural junk
Bloated with entitlement, bloated on propaganda
Now we're driving dazed and drunk

Went down the road to Damascus, the road to Mandalay
Met the ghost of Caesar on the Appian Way
He said, "It's hard to stop this binging once you get a taste
But the road to empire is a bloody, stupid waste"

Behold the bitten apple, the power of the tools
But all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools
And it's a long road out of Eden

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 am

When I called my Boston cousin last week about "the boat" he said he had plans to see The Eagles. For some reason it jolted my sense of time. How long's it been since you talked with anyone who said they were going to see The Eagles in concert. Gotta love it. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 am

Believe it or not, almost two years ago exactly I arrived in Munich, Germany, having seen Ellis Paul perform the night before in Wasserburg. A kind American (from Ft. Worth, Texas!) helped me find my way to the B&B where I would be staying. On the 2-block walk, we shared our reasons for being in Germany - surprisingly we were both there for MUSIC. Me for Ellis Paul. He for The Eagles. :)

His name was Bill....I wish I had gotten his e-mail address. :(

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:When I called my Boston cousin last week about "the boat" he said he had plans to see The Eagles. For some reason it jolted my sense of time. How long's it been since you talked with anyone who said they were going to see The Eagles in concert. Gotta love it. 8)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 am

Karen.....try this

google Bill Eagles Germany

stranger things have happened....ya just never know he may have blogged about the concert and bumpin into another american on her way to see some fella named Ellis....oh I wish I'd gotten that artist's last name. :lol:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 am

...Going to see the Eagles tues night. They are in town for four shows at the new ampitheater around the corner from me. Just opened last night.

I'll let ya know.......

Annie :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 am

Annie, you lucky gal. Good for you! :)

I'm still playing the heck out of Long road out of Eden....

KarenZ
annieb wrote:...Going to see the Eagles tues night. They are in town for four shows at the new ampitheater around the corner from me. Just opened last night.

I'll let ya know.......

Annie :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 am

Annie.....that's fantastic...ENJOY!!! :D

Back in the 70's an old family friend in his 50's ("OLD" to me) was over for coffee one morning. He'd been to California a number of times and loved it. He spoke about "Hotel California" which really blew me away. I thought, how does this "ol timer" know about The Eagles and this song?

He said that to him the song was more about what's it like to be in California in the spirtual sense. More about the spirit of California versus any physical structure such as a hotel.

Guess he wasn't so "OLD" afterall!!! 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks! :)

Here's a link for pics from last night's opener..

http://tinyurl.com/5g9c3r

It's funny to see them all in suits. They look like a bunch of bankers!...

....good lookin' bankers... :wink: 8)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 11:46 am

annie....thanks for sharing those pics..... :shock:

tell me they loosened their ties after awhile....... :D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri May 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Well the concert on tuesday night was epic on so many levels. Imagine 12000 people trying to take cover under a flimsy canopy while under a tornado warning. Let me tell ya, hail hurts! LOL!

But when all was said and done with the exciting weather start of the show, the music was fine!! These guys sound amazing, still!!!! So glad I got the chance to see them again. The timing of the show is a little slow for me, but I am still coming down from my last Bruce show so I will concede that, that is not a fair comparison. It has to be said as well, that they look amazing too!! Joe Walsh never fails to bring a smile to my face. He is just flat out fun!! And man can he play a guitar!!! The new guy was very impressive as well....Stuart Smith (took Don Felder's place).I don't know where he came from but he's a great addition. They had a big horn section with them too....very nice! If they come to your town, def check them out, especially if you have never seen them. They do not disappoint!!

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend all!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 3:16 pm

annie

Thanks for the show and weather report..... :shock:

Hail hurts! That cracked me up.... :lol:

Will have to see when they play our way! 8)
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”