Ellis Paul characters and Halloween

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Ellis Paul characters and Halloween

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:15 am

Good morning folks and Happy Halloween!

I was just remembering a funny moment from a few years ago. It was around Halloween and BeckyG and I were together and were either going to some Ellis Paul shows or planning on going to some Ellis Paul shows. In a moment of silliness we had the idea that it would be fun to go dressed as a character from an Ellis Paul song....and we started thinking about which characters we could dress up as. As I recall, Becky suggested wearing a party dress and combat boots. :) Then I declared that I wanted to go as my favorite line - a prophet in a party dress! In my mind's eye that translated to a red strapless taffeta gown and matching red stiletto heels. But Becky declared with a look of shock on her face "I'm not wearing a beard!" (I guess she took the "prophet" part more literally!) ;) It still cracks me up! :D

Any other ideas out there? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:12 am

Happy Halloween to you too, Karen!

That story has me laughing here. I have a visual of you and Becky all dressed up with beards!

Ellis should do a Halloween show where everyone has to dress up as one of his characters!

I'd pick the Angel in Manhattan!

:D Monica R.

Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks for bringing back fond memories, Karen! If I'm remembering correctly, we were driving those miles and miles of Texas. Fun times. :D

I think if I were going to a dress up for a show, in honor of the new CD, I'd go as a dragonfly. I've always liked dragonflies...especially since that movie came out a few years back with Kevin Costner about his wife who died and communicated to him thru dragonflies.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Halloween!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 pm

K-A-R-E-N

I'll respond to you in letters..... :wink:

C-A-L-E-N-D-A-R-M-A-N

:D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Becky, Monica, good ideas! Paddy, which holiday? :)

I think I'm gonna stick with being the Deliver Me girl. ;)

Becky, I still think you'd look good in a beard. :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:17 pm

Oh...I dunno...give me one.... :lol: I was thinking of going as Calendar Man....open to any and all...if forced to choose tho..here goes.

St. Patrick's Day....

Who's your paddy??? :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:21 pm

You all are cracking me up today!

:lol:

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:46 pm

I want to be one of those 'renegade women' from Alice's!

Happy Halloween - we've had children trick or treating this evening at out front door.

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:16 pm

Since I'm such a mess, I'd pick Maria. Or maybe the gal in "When we Begin," although I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull off a "black strapless dress."

Or maybe I could be a character from one of Antje's songs? I could probably pull off a dandelion!

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:39 pm

Maria is beautiful and she's wearing a long slinky dress that swirls around her as she dances!

If I can't be the Deliver Me girl, I want to be a Puerto Rican Peggy Sue with yellow shoes. Think J. Lo. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 pm

I was thinking I could find an old suitcase......cut a hole in the bottom of it...one big enough that I could wear it around my waist. I'd fill it with all the necessary items needed for a trip across country. I'd find a bunch of Wisconsin stuff to wear...and a name tag that reads:

Hello: My name is Robert Wilson

"I'm from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and I've been living out of this suitcase, for 14 days"

:wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:49 am

Jela, you be the renegade woman I'll be the bar tender, and I'll slide you the mason jar full of what ever you want in it, you'll have a jolly good time :) !!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:09 pm

These ideas are all great!! I have an idea......when everyone is here for the New Years shows, we can get together for a costume ball.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 am

JennyLevE wrote:This is amazingly funny -- there are some great ideas here.
I think that someone needs to be "this old car" and what about the urban girlfriend or the suburban parents? Of course there is also Jimmy Aberdeen... there are so much great characters -- it is impossible to choose. Does anyone have a boots and a rhinestone suit?

I think that the girl from "Independence Day" is really intriguing. I woudl probably be here -- though I am sure that her costume is not at all elegant.

Someone would have to be the Jukebox on Ellis's grave... a "blacktop train"... or maybe even the gun from "autobiography of a pistol"...

There are also all those superstar celebs referenced in "Martyr's Lounge" -- with sunflowers growing out of their heads...

OK -- now I am getting carried away... :roll:
--Jen

Return to “Say Something”