(movie) Into the Wild

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

(movie) Into the Wild

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:10 am

The movie based on Jon Krakauer's best-selling book about the life of Chris McCandless is scheduled to be released in the US on Sept. 21, 2007. (Oct. 27, 2007 in the UK)

Watch a trailer for the film HERE.

Lots more about the film HERE.

Ellis Paul's lyrics to "The Ballad of Chris McCandless" can be viewed HERE.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:18 am

Thanks Karen - I shall look forward to watching the film when its released over here.

Perhaps we should do a 'film club' discussion of it on the board, even though I'm going to be at least a month behind you guys in the US. Would any of you be up for a board discussion?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:29 am

Jela,

Sounds good to me! We can wait until you've had a chance to see it.

BTW.....the credits at the end of the trailer say "original songs by Eddie Vedder."

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JennyLevE

the ballad

Postby JennyLevE » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Do we know if EP's song made it into the movie? I'm looking forward to seeing it.
I read the book, which was amazing. If anyone else has read Into The Wild and has not read Into Thin Air -- they are really missing out.
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:03 pm

thanks for the links Karen.... The Ballad of Chris Mcandless (if not in the movie) will def. get lots of attention as a result of this movie. I don't remember now if you mentioned that song in the wikepedia article, but I'm sure you can add it. The movie looks pretty good.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:33 pm

There is an article (cover story) in Outside magazine , Sept. issue about the making of this movie. It does mention that Pearl Jam's Eddie Veder (?) has done a few songs for the soundtrack. EV had never heard of the story before Sean Penn brought it to his attention. HELLO Hollywood there is all ready at least one great song written about this young man.

The article is informative, I look forward to the movie.

PS

I was at Jiffy Lube when I read this story... you know the company that should be using the song 3000 Miles in its advertisment :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Patti,

Yes, I saw the latest issue of Outside while browsing an airport bookstore last weekend - bought it, read the article, then passed it on to Ellis. Here's a link on the Outside website where you can listen to a podcast interview with Christopher Keyes, the article's author.

Outside magazine

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:40 am

Folks,

Eddie Vedder's soundtrack for the movie was released yesterday:

Into the Wild soundtrack

KarenZ

theredhead6

Postby theredhead6 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:22 pm

What a shame if they don't use the song. I can just hear it playing over the credits...
javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:13 pm

We're ALL disappointed. :(

Welcome to the board redhead6! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Oh, I know Eddie Vedder from my days in Seattle, wish I'd known he was
the one putting the soundtrack together for "Into The Wild."

Psyche!!!

Seriously though, I was just reading the reviews of the soundtrack over at Amazon.com and was thinking it would be nice to see Ellis' song about Chris McCandless get some kind of mention.

Can anyone picture Eddie covering "Ballad of Chris McCandless?"
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 pm

TIVO alert.....Into The Wild featured today on Oprah.

Oprah re-airs late night the program that aired earlier in the day.

Today's Oprah show featured the film, it's star, and star director.

Check your local listings and start your tivos..... :wink:
paddy

care

postponed?

Postby care » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:37 pm

i thought it opened today!?? and now i'm seeing that it has been postponed until november!? i'm mad!

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:26 pm

Maybe, just maybe, it is so they can add Ballad of Chris McCandless to the end of the movie footage!!!!!!!

I am going to go check my local movie listings!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:40 am

barb62 wrote:Sean Penn is directing a new movie entitled "Into The Wild" and it is the story of Chris McCandless. What can we do to get Ellis's song in this movie? Wouldn't that be great! A young actor named Emile Hirsch plays Chris in the movie. Oprah had Sean Penn and Emile on her show yesterday.

I never knew Chris McCandless was a real person - always thought he was a fictional character - it was pretty neat hearing this on Oprah!

barb62

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:41 am

Barb,

Sadly, the song is not in the movie. :(

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:39 am

yes but DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN IT COMES OUT!?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:38 am

Folks,

From what I've been able to determine, the movie was released on Sept. 21 in LA and NY only and will be released nationwide on Oct. 19.

You can hear a good bit of the movie's music at the film's web site:

Into the Wild

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:49 am

finally someone with answers. thanks karenz.

care

Postby care » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:35 pm

I SAW IT!

it's playing in cambridge and boston.

GO SEE IT!

will have more later. i have to run now.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:39 pm

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :D

Nice prize....care...thanks for the info...I'll be checking locally.

I'd be interested in how the soundtrack sounded to you...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:05 pm

The movie is not playing around here yet.....but a friend told me that there was a segment about Chris McC (and the movie) on Nightline the other night and that Ellis' song aired during the segment! :shock:

Here's the link to the Nightline segment, but no song. :(

'Into the Wild' Inspires Adventurers, but at What Cost?

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 pm

I am really excited -- I am going to see the movie tomorrow afternoon! :lol:
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Folks,

Here's a link to another interesting article in the OC Weekly (Orange County, CA). Some EP content:

http://www.ocweekly.com/film/film/mystic-or-idiot/27924

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 am

I had to check and make sure this wasn't in a Boston paper! :lol:
Obviously, this man is an EP fan.
Interesting article, too.
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:41 pm

The movie (which finally came to my part of the country on the 19th) sure is getting lots of press. Here's an article from NationalGeographic.com.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adven ... -wild.html

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:55 am

Today's (London) Times newspaper has given the film a 5-star rating - the highest available!

Here's the link
Times Film Review

Am looking forward to seeing it - just such a shame that Ellis isn't on the soundtrack - it would have got 6 stars!!!!

Jela

LaurieBlue

Postby LaurieBlue » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 am

We saw this amazing movie last night. I agree. It's a crime Ellis' song wasn't in there. It would have been perfect as the closing credits rolled.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:17 am

Hi Laurie and welcome! :)

I still haven't seen the movie. :( Maybe this weekend.

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:05 am

My biggest disappointment with the movie was not hearing Ellis as the credits rolled. It would have been too prefect!
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:00 am

Well, I'm up at 3am unable to get the movie - which I finally saw this afternoon - off my mind. Sean Penn stayed remarkably true to Krakauer's book and seeing it all played out on the big screen was powerful and incredibly moving. I now also have a greater appreciation for the soundtrack CD that I received from a friend as a Christmas gift....although I could still easily hear Ellis' opening chords of TBOCM coming through the theater speakers as the credits rolled.....

Wonderful performances by all the actors. Terrific movie.

KarenZ

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Karen,

Did you see this in a theater? BC it seems to be gone from the theaters down here. I really wanted to see this one on a big screen! :(

I have the soundtrack, but have not given it a good listen yet. I know that Eddie Vedder is kicking off a solo tour in April to support this soundtrack. Should be good.

Thanks for the review, looks like I'm gonna have to wait for the DVD which comes out in a week or so.

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Yes, it was on the big screen. It returned to the local Maxi-Saver this weekend after doing a very limited run (locations not that convenient to get to) in the area last fall.

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

I honestly have no interest in seeing this movie. I have heard wonderful things about it, but I got so angry reading the book. In my opinion CM comitted suicide, slowly, over a matter of years, but he clearly had a death wish.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Say Something”