Flynn

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Arrgghh! :evil: I only got to hear the first song! Then WORK interrupted! At freakin' LUNCH time!!!

What else did I miss????

Annoyed in Pennsylvania,
KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Dear Annoyed,

You still heard more than I did. I hope someone posts a report. I did see him on my t.v. this a.m. and that was fun. :D He sang Emerald Dream. There was no interview, but the announcer mentioned the show tonight.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:48 pm

Bonnie,

Any report from Flynn's CD release show? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 am

Bonnie,

NancyS, a member of the EP board who is a BIG Tom Pacheco fan (the artist who opened for Flynn) is dying to hear about the show. I'll admit, I'm curious too. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Me, too!! :D Long story short, years ago sitting at a song circle, mid afternoon, Kerrville Folk Festival. This guy saunters up and pulls up a chair, and when it's his turn to play, he proceeds to blow me away. And get this, I never got his name. Been wondering for YEARS who THAT guy was and if I'd ever stumble upon his name. And finally, I learned, through an e-letter from Folkwax, that the guy's name is Tom Pacheco. They had reviewed one of his albums and had a photo of him. :D Still haven't heard any of his releases.....but I'll remedy that, now that I have put a name to that face. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:58 pm

Ok, ok. I'm here!! :mrgreen:

SusanH took down a setlist, I'm sure she'll post it when she gets a chance.

Like any good host, Flynn was at the door to greet people as they entered Passim. Well, he was probably just getting some fresh air, but it had the same effect. :)

There was a big crowd. Not a sellout, but most of the tables were full. This was a full band show with John Sands on drums, Richard Gates on bass and Keith Reid on keyboards. The band sounded great, like they'd been playing together forever. The only give away was the music sheets laying in front of them all. At one point John's blew onto the floor. Even though he did not miss a beat, he had a look of sheer panic on his face. :D

Flynn performed most, if not all, of the new CD. He did a few standards too. White and Human, of course, complete with Cher/gondola story. He also played Fragile My Heart for the first time live. He had the whole crowd singing along to Let Yourself Go. He even treated us to a little dance. The man has got some moves. :P Check out my other friend Sue's video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqx6rBm0xv8 . Ellis and Antje joined him onstage to sing harmony on Be Careful What You Wish For and maybe one other. Then Antje and Flynn sang Breathless. Ellis came back during the encore for Let It Be. Flynn was sure to point out that this time it was HIS show and not Ellis'. :mrgreen:

I don't have very many pictures as I was sitting too close for anything but nostril shots. Ralph said that he saw we were sitting right up front. Like I'd be anyplace else. :roll: :wink: Don't blame me, it's assigned tables at Passim. It's not my fault I bought tickets as soon as they went on sale. :oops:

Tom Pacheco was joined by his brother. I did not catch his name. They played a nice set. Although he almost got hit with Susan's mother's cane when he told the story of the old lady next door. "81 is NOT old!! :x " :lol:

Nance

Postby Nance » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have not posted on the board for quite some time, but am an old fan of Ellis's and friends. I heard that the show at Passim was great!!! Unfortunately it was my first week back to teaching in NYC and I couldn't "call in sick" just yet. I was excited to hear that Tom Pacheco and his brother Paul were playing together in Boston after almost 30 years. I would like to encourage people to visit Tom's website www.tompacheco.com to learn more about this prolific artist. I would have been in complete musical heaven to hear all of these musicians play together.

On this very special day, here's hoping for world peace.

Nancy

bonuela

*****change to show******

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:05 pm

Flynn's show at Tazza Cafe in Providence has been changed from Thursday 9/20 to Wednesday 9/19.

Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 9:00 pm

Providence, RI
Tazza Caffe
250 Westminster S.
Providence, RI 02903

phone: 401-421-3300

MadHopeHunny

Postby MadHopeHunny » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 pm

i've seen flynn.. 4 times now. he's fantastic :) all thanks to bonnie!

i've seen ellis paul.. 1 1/2 times :) one time we went to see him play... my brother-in-law was playing with him (brendan devitt - his band is called The New Siberians). and we hadn't seen ellis paul again until he played with flynn.. so i'll call that a half show :)

can't wait for the Tazza show. just hope i have a babysitter :)

hey bonnie i just noticed you put up a link to my video! i need a new video camera.. my digital camera doesnt take good video :)

i have the pictures i took that night uploaded
http://www.expectedmiracles.com/gallery/flynnpassim

sue

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:13 pm

Welcome Sue!!!

We will get you to a full Ellis show just as soon as possible. Abby will love his new kid's stuff.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:39 pm

mhh

Thanks for sharing the photos from Flynn's CD Release party.
While Cannondrop looks good, Antje looks stunning!!!
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:36 pm

ok, so don't pay any attention to me.

the show is on for the 19th. :oops:
Last edited by bonuela on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:47 am

Sue - many thanks for posting your photos on the board. It sure looks as if it was a fun evening.

Jela

Nance

Postby Nance » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:00 am

Great Pics! I have been waiting for Ellis to come near my home (NYC area) Unfortunately he is playing on Yom Kippur-Sept 25th which is a no-no-for me, but I see a bunch of NYC dates after that. Hope to see some of you there.

I couldn't make it to Passim for Flynn's cd release, but please check out my very dear friend Tom at www.tompacheco.com The same person who turned me on to Ellis turned me on to Tom a few years ago-a true national treasure.

Peace,

Nancy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:22 am

Flynn played last night at Tazza. As always, it was a great show. It is a really comfortable room to hear music in, and the pizza was excellent. 8)

I don't have the exact setlist, but I know he sang:
The Answer's Not Enough.
Emerald Dream
Human
American Wake
Be Careful What You Wish For.

The room is really too dark for photos, but over the weekend I will see what I got.

MadHopeHunny

Postby MadHopeHunny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:25 pm

i just love seeing flynn :)

and it's always fun to see musicians being "normal" ;) like turning around to see ellis paul just sitting at a table enjoying the show!

the room was super dark.. my pictures and video came out terrible :( but heres a pic of flynn at the tazza show ;)

it was really annoying.. there was a flashing red stop light right outside the window next to flynn. so distracting!

MadHopeHunny

Postby MadHopeHunny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:28 pm

theres the red light on the left.. grr!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 pm

Here are some pictures from the last few Flynn shows.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... t_=9059929

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm

"TAAAAAA---ZAAAAAAA"
You don't have to put on the FLASHING RED LIGHT!!! :lol:

great photos gals.....thanks for sharing.
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:41 am

Hi Bonnie,
Just saw your pictures of Flynn - I see he got a haircut - really looks good! Are you still going to the show in Jim Thorpe on Oct 13th? My husband and I will be there along with 4 of our children - we have front row seats! Can't wait!

We're leaving tomorrow on vacation to your neck of the woods - Cape Cod MA. Hopefully we'll have nice hiking weather.

Thanks again for the great pictures!

Barb62

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 am

Yep Barb,

We will be there. We are driving in Friday so we have some time to enjoy the town.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:22 pm

Just a reminder to any Pennsylvanians out there. **cough** Paddy **cough**

Flynn is playing in Jim Thorpe on Saturday

Saturday, October 13th, 2007 8:00PM

The Mauch Chunk Opera House
14 West Broadway
Jim Thorpe, PA 18229

phone: (570) 325-0249

PRICE: $15.00

mauchchunkoperahouse.com/

MAUCH CHUNK OPERA HOUSE show 8:30 / doors 8PM
Tickets $15 adv. / $20 day of show

He is also playing in New York City on Friday.

Friday, October 12th, 2007 9:30 pm

Mo Pitkins
34 Avenue A
New York, NY

phone: 212-777-5660

PRICE: $10.00

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:31 pm

:lol:

Thank you for that, Bonnie. That hit home in the best way....

Will do our best..... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:31 pm

What a night!!!

Flynn wowed the crowd at The Mauch Chunk Opera House in Jim Thorpe, Pa. with a commanding stage presence that started with a powerful new song from his new CD "The Answer Is Not Enough" and lasted clean through to the final note. He played songs old and new, and included a cover of Christy Moore's "Black is the Color."

His guitar, vocal, songwriting, and sense of humor was on full display and delivered in spades. He played Mo Pitkins (NYC) the night before, talked of it's pending closing (a few weeks left) and the time he played the Big Apple at the time the Red Sox were poised (and did) win the World Series and Flynn (not knowing of the intense rivalry) made mention of having the honor of singing the national anthem at Fenway Park. The tension was palpable, and Flynn joked about quickly perfoming an off the cuff ditty that went something like "i love the yankees..the yankees..i love the yankees." :lol:

Good to see my old friends from the forum (has it really been 18 months since Jonathan's in Ogunquit?) Bonnie, SusanH, and Lynn. They will have the setlist posted later on I'm told. Also nice to meet barb62 and her entourage in tow all the way from Egg Harbor, NJ.

This is a really nice place to see a show, great sound sytem, nice folks. The town of Jim Thorpe, chalk full of history, is fortunate to have a place like this one to compliment all the wonderful things this town holds.

Hats off to Jtams Productions (fantastic job!!!) who runs the show, they are set to present some fine acts in the near future....Lucy Kaplansky w/ Antje Duvekot opening, the swoonworthy and exceptionally talented Richard Shindell, and a group new to me...Girlyman.

All the way to Jim Thorpe...I couldn't help but chuckle and hum....

a road trip...going on a road trip..... :wink:

Thanks for the nudge Bonnie....good times. :D

Obviously, there's some truth to "the answer is not enough." At one point in the show, during Flynn and Ellis' song (If She's The One) Flynn had temporary lapse of lyric memory. He looked Bonnie and Lynn's way, smiled and said "Help" -- It was not enough, and Flynn joked that that was Ellis' part...before finding his way to the lyric and bringing it home. Bonnie commented afterwards that Karen's really good at on the spot lyrics help and it would have been great if she were there. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:22 pm

I wish I could have been there!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though.....the boyz are in town this Thursday - exactly TWO MONTHS since seeing them in Newmarket, NH. That is just WRONG! :x

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Who knew? Should come as no surprise, but still, who knew?

“Merry-Go-Round” first appeared on the independently-released “Little Peppermints”; a new (and to these ears, significantly improved) version, produced by Boston’s Flynn, is featured in a new commercial for Bank of America.

:D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 pm

A great review of The Answer's Not Enough. Antje and Ellis are discussed too!!

http://flynnmusic.com/index.php?page=news

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Bonnie,

Right you are...that's a great writeup on Flynn and Ellis and Antje.

Where is my copy of "The Answer is not Enough" :?: :?: :?:

It's around here, somewhere. I'll have to go find it and listen anew.

"Why do you $%*& with me?"

Seriously, it is around the house, somewhere. I'll find it.

"I don't need no sympathaaaaaaaay"

paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Hey all, (and Bonnie!) :)

The current (June) issue of Performing Songwriter (with Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova on the cover!) also lists Flynn's The Answer's Not Enough as one of it's DIY Picks! I like some of the adjectives used in the review: romantic and sumptuous especially. ;)

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pag ... /index.cfm

Flynn
The Answer's Not Enough
Featured Download: "The Answer's Not Enough" MP3

Hailing from Boston carries a certain amount of cachet, given Beantown’s reputation as a repository of musical talent. Flynn, formerly of the band Cliffs of Dooneen, has cut through the competition—his first album was accorded a Boston Music Award for outstanding debut—but it’s his personal triumphs that merit distinction. Paralyzed from a fall, he successfully regained movement in his arms and legs, and subsequently carved an enviable career as a performer, producer and composer.

Flynn’s fourth album reflects an unbridled tenacity. From the ominous title track and cool croon of “Emerald Dream,” to the romantic yearning of “If She’s the One” and its ambling ode to affirmation “All That I Am,” the rich weave of emotions mingles freely with sumptuous tones and textures.

flynnmusic.com

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 am

Sumptuous?

I bet he gets some grief for that.

He is still living down "unbelieeeeeeeevable" from Road Trip.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 am

Flynn is playing a Boston area show this weekend. He is also hitting the road with Ellis this fall.

Friday, June 20th, 2008 7:30
Jamaica Plain, MA
Notlob Parlor Concerts

Price: $15.00

http://notlobmusic.googlepages.com

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:36 am

Bonnie,

I guess we know where you will be on Friday. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:30 pm

KarenZ wrote:Bonnie,

I guess we know where you will be on Friday. ;)

KarenZ

I was going to wash my hair and do some laundry. Why do you ask?

:P

Of course I'm going to see Flynn. :roll:

Are you going to see EP in CO or CA? Flynn will be at those shows!! :D

mm

Re: Flynn

Postby mm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Just a heads up for late nighters . . . the fabulous Flynn will be on the air with me tomorrow night, Sat Oct. 4th, on WBZ AM radio 1030 in Boston. The Mostl​y Rock ‘N Roll program will be the topic​ of conve​rsati​on on Jorda​n Rich’​s overn​ight talk show.​ Jordan's show airs live from midni​ght to 1 AM EST,​ reach​es over 38 state​s and all of New Engla​nd at that time of night​.​
We will be joine​d by phone​ with some of the music​ians we’ve​ featu​red,​ including Flynn, Alana​ Davis​,​ Lenni​e Peter​son,​ and Adam Ezra.​ We will also discu​ss many of the other artis​ts (Ellis!) who have been on the show.​ The program strea​ms live on http://www.wbz.com.
Monic​a M

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 am

Monica.....I so wanted to stay up late for this one.....alas, fast asleep long before airtime. Hope it went well.....would love some details when you can. Do let us know if it's archived for later listening. Thanks.
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am

I think I must have fallen asleep around 11:45 and of course woke up at 1:15!!!!

Was wondering it if will be archived too. Hope so!

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Iiiiiiiiit's showtime!! :mrgreen:

Flynn has finally posted some live shows. Yay!!

http://www.flynnmusic.com has full details.

December 27 2008 - Portland ME opening for Ellis
December 31 2008 - Cambridge MA opening for Ellis
January 29 2009 - Cambridge MA headlining * see below
January 31 2009 - Doylestown PA opening for Ellis
February 14 2009 - Titusville NJ
May 2 2009 - Kingston MA

Thursday January 29 2009 8pm
Club Passim Cambridge MA
Tickets are only 15.00.
http://www.passimcenter.org

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm

I saw Flynn open for Ellis and the boys last night in Portland ME.

Its unbelieeeeeeeevable that I haven't seen him since June. Yikes. Get out and play some shows dude!!!

Excellent set. He had his new 12 string with him and that just adds so much to the songs. He started off with White. I almost got up and left. For those who have seen him regularly, you know that is the song he usually closes his set with. I have always told him that he ruined White for me. Since hearing it means the show is over, I now hate the song. :wink:

He has started writing songs again and played a new one for us.

It was wonderful to see him perform again and I hope he starts playing out again.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for the update Bonnie - I am looking forward to hearing him open New Year's Eve... I don't think I have herad him since he played in Mansfield - and that was over a year ago.
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Jeff, maybe you'll even make his solo show at the end of January?

I'd love to see a big crowd for him.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, I have it on my calendar, although that is a tough night for me with work the next day - but we are going to try.

Not sure I want to wait until May 2 in Kingston..........
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 am

Come and join Image and Image
and maybe even Image or

at Image

to see Image perform.
Image opens the show.

Flynn w/ full band
January 29, 2009 8PM
Club Passim
Cambridge MA
Seth Glier opens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:21 am

Great post Bonnie!

Just sorry that we won't be there. Have a wonderful evening and do post a show report.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 am

Only if there's another booze cruise.....and that ain't happenin' in January. :(

(Bonnie, you're a riot.) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:48 am

Bonnie,

Be a dear, YOUTUBE the show for us!!! :P

Although, with the prices at priceline.com lately, it's almost cheaper to travel than stay home!!! :lol:

Enjoy the show and thanks ever so much for the loverly invite. 8)
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:10 pm

I wish it wasn't a Thursday night....... trying to keep it a possibility but I am not sure we can make it there... But haven't seen a whole Flynn show since Mansfield.
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:50 pm

KarenZ wrote:Only if there's another booze cruise.....and that ain't happenin' in January. :(

Well.........Passim does hope to have their Beer and Wine license in effect by the end of this month..... :P

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Just wanted to remind the local folks about this show, and to let those far and away in on a sample of the fun.

Flynn and Seth Glier will be on WERS at 10am EST on Thursday 1/29/09.

You can stream it online here.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:20 pm

I am scheduling a special "meeting" at work so that I can listen to the interview, since I won't be able to attend the show :(.
Jeff

Return to “Looking for My Friends”