2006 World Cup

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

2006 World Cup

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Bonnie wrote:Can any team stop Brazil on the World Cup?

Apparently so:

VIVE La FRANCE!!
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:17 pm

How fitting, as America celebrates her birthday once again, and we revel in All things American, we need simply think of Lady Liberty, a thing of beauty, a beacon for freedom, and a gift from the French.

VIVE La FRANCE, indeed.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:01 pm

What's the name of the player for France with the long blonde hair that looks like Jimmy Dale Gilmore's twin? (Surely, Bonnie will know!) Swoonworthy, I tell you. :wink:

Sue Ellen, what you would have had to have typed to make every other letter red and blue is boggling my mind. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Yeah, I was impressed with those colors too. Was gonna give the alternating colors a try too but I have to be somewhere on Thursday. :lol:

I don't even know why I'm on this thread, really. Have not had tv on in my house for 10 days running and had no clue who was doing what in this sport....... :cry:

It's been a real eye - opener around here. :shock:

Was this the final or should I find a sports bar? :D
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Well, no need for a t.v. or a sports bar to follow world cup action:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/index.html

I think Karen you might have been thinking of the Ukrainian player:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/178953_TYMOSCHUK_Anatoliy.html

Zinedine Zidane is definitely swoonworthy:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/photos/index.html?i=13&d=1

Some men just do bald really well. And his footwork today was something to behold.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:01 pm

Sue Ellen,

You're right! It was a player for the Ukraine! :oops:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:07 am

SueEllen, Send Karen a photo of what she really wants to see.....A nice shot of that guy from The Ukraine from the hip down. It's a leg thing for her, remember? :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:59 am

I am very much looking forward to Tuesday. A friend has spent every game day since her return from Germany in an Italian cafe. I am meeting her there to watch Germany v Italy!

As for today's game, I only know France won. I have not watched the tape yet.

Personally, I prefer Figo to Zizzou.

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:17 am

I think I'm finally startin' to get what the attraction is about soccer..... ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:27 am

Karen, Like I've said before, I've known the occasional '' perfect hair day''. But this guy has me wondering if I even know what I'm talking about. :?

Does this mean we may just have to open up a new topic for MLS fan photo of the week to include the swoonworthy found in this sport? :wink:

These guys really do pour it all out there, don't they? Sweat pouring off of them. Maybe a whole new definition of dripping cool. :P
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:54 am

Here's another attraction:

This is Crespo who plays for Argentina and Chelsea (English Premier League).

and I Know someone will agree about this guy:

This is Jaime Moreno who plays for D.C. United.

Soccer players, not too big like basketballers, not too bulky like footballers, and not too skinny like runners. No wonder they call it the Beautiful Game. :wink:

Sue Ellen
Last edited by Sue Ellen on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:34 pm

I had to post another picture of Zinedine Zidane, as the link I posted before apparently rotates pictures. I think Karen should like this one as she has that thing for legs:

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:17 pm

All I have to say to Sue Ellen is nyah nyah, here is a much better picture of Jaime!! :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:17 pm

But I don't like bald heads. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:37 pm

Perhaps this is better for you Karen? He didn't make it to the World Cup this time around, but he helped the US to qualify.

Taylor Twellman:

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:10 pm

You rock Bonnie...what a great photo; if not Figo how 'bout Jaime Moreno then?

Karen wrote:But I don't like bald heads.

And, pray tell, why not? Some men do bald very well (please see the Zidane reference).

Sue Ellen

and I am not a trouble-maker.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:40 am

Sue Ellen, I can't help you on the Figo front. As for Jaime? I was too stunned by the fact I was finally meeting him that I didn't say a word.

Next time you're here, come to a game with me and I can introduce you to a Rev or two!!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Boy am I glad I was in an Italian Cafe and not a German Beer Haus.
Italy beat Germany in the LAST minute of overtime!! Let's hear it for the Azzurri.

Tomorrow will not be nearly as condusive to soccer. I will be at work during the Portugal/France game. :(
Last edited by bonuela on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:25 pm

With two goals!! Wasn't that amazingly exciting? What a game.

Those are some happy Italien men.

Yee Haw, France v. Portugal tomorrow.

Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 am

Bonnie et al:

Living legends out to end on high
Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane have won medals together at Real Madrid but tonight's semi-final between Portugal and France will pit these two living legends against each other on the world stage for the first - and last - time.

I anticipate a great battle on the pitch.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:29 am

OK....so maybe you two have convinced me to tune in tonight. :wink:

White time? What channel? :)

Karen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:32 am

3pm EST on ESPN or ESPNHD.

I will be avoiding all information until I can get home at 4:35 to watch it on tape.

(I hope!)

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:36 am

I'll not post my elation or dejection til after 8:00 then. Figo or Zidane? I hope Zidane is not entering retirement tomorrow...He has to go to the final!!

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 am

I have been really enjoying Portugal's play, but I will be happy with the outcome either way. There are rumors that neither Figo nor C Ronaldo will start.

Of course I hope Italy wins the whole she-bang. A lot of those poor sad fellows have no club team to go home to, and will probably end up disgraced and in jail. :lol:

Sorry. It just makes me laugh that they are having no problem concentrating on the World Cup while back home at least half of them are being investigated in a big scandal.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 am

What's the big scandal for those of us who are soccer newbies?

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:18 am

Really just your basic scandal. Betting, game fixing the usual. :P

Honestly, I don't know all of the details. It involves the biggest club team Juventus. One of the higher ups in that organisation just "fell" from a window and is pretty badly injured. It sounds like a thriller novel or a great movie. Too bad it is real, and reflects poorly on the sport and some very talented players. :?

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:27 am

Just figured out how to post that picture, with a little help.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:38 am

it seems like a pretty even match! :D

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:58 am

It does look like a pretty even match, but I'm am definitely partial to the French.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:05 pm

I know you're partial to the French. :P

I just meant the pictures look exactly alike. :D

Yesterday, the lone German fan walked up to the owner of the cafe to wish her a good game. She smiled sweetly at him and replied. "Good Luck.......I hope you lose."

In the spritit of good sportsmanship,

Bon chance!

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Well Bonnie? Can I say anything yet?

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Mais oui!
:D
Great game. Fair outcome. And someone has a new screensaver!! :P

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:18 am

Well, what could I possibly say to top that?

sue ellen

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:20 am

Except, "Oh, screensaver, what a great idea."

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 am

It was a great game to watch. Especially without an allegience to either team. I could really enjoy the play and the talent.

Sue Ellen, you aren't in my area this weekend are you? A friend is having a party to watch the final.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:54 am

I thought Henry was a little off, but overall I think the play was excellent. The final should be fantastic.

Sue Ellen

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:55 am

If you girls could fill in the clueless here on the forum.....

who won?
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 am

I'll give it a go:

What Americans call soccer the rest of the world calls football; it is a game of the people. Kids don't need any equipment and play it in the streets all over the world, they live it and breathe it. They don't even need a real ball, they can improvise with a ball of rags and play in their barefeet.

The World Cup is played every four years and allows a nation to bring together it's best players from their clubs to compete against the rest of the world. Like an All-Star game. A nation competes in it's region to qualify. This year U.S., Costa Rica, Mexico, and Trinidad/Tobago represented North America. World Cup begins with 32 Nations, broken into groups of 4, with each team in a group playing the others to determine who advances to the Round of Sixteen. From then on, it's knock-out: win and you advance, lose and you go home.

There are traditionally very strong national teams: Argentina, Brazil, Italy, England, Germany (Bonnie, help me out). When a nation with a strong team hosts, they have a huge advantage. This year Brazil was a heavy favorite as was the host nation, Germany. Brasil was knocked out in the quarters by France; Italy defeated Germany in the semis.

Yesterday's game was the second semi-final with France against Portugal. Zidane of France and Figo of Portugal are club team-mates. Zidane is a striking midfielder with 107 caps (has played in 107 international games for France). He is saying he will retire after this year's World Cup. He has amazing footwork; when he has the ball it is like it is attached to his feet with a string and it is amazing to watch him work around numerous defenders. He anticipates where a ball will be placed, or where his team mates will be. Thierry Henry is a striking forward with 84 caps, and in fact is in the competition for the "Golden Shoe" awarded to the player who scores the most goals. Henry has played for Arsenal, a premier team in the English league for several years. Usually he and Zidane work wonderfully together.

My comment was that Henry seemed a half-step behind yesterday; missed a couple of key shots on goal because his timing was a little slow, and his passes were just a bit off. Zidane has been playing like a man posessed. The French won off a penalty shot by Zidane. Portugal had 12 shots on goal and 8 corners, while France only had 5 shots on goal and 3 corners. Portugal had more chances, more attack, an offensive advantage and still lost. The beauty of soccer and why it is thought to be so loved world wide. It represents most people's life; you work really hard, do everything right, and only infrequently make the goal.

Does that help? And Bonnie, please correct any misstatements and fill in what I've missed.

Probably you'll be sorry you asked.

Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:18 am

Bonnie, what happened to that great photo?

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:57 am

I still see the photo. Does it not show up for the rest of you?

The final score was

Portugal ~ 0

France ~ 1 on a Zindine penalty kick

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Must be it was screened out at work; that is just the best photo.

Right, the essential detail: France 1, Portugal 0.

Ahhh, now the French just need to kick some Italien derriere on Sunday. Or maybe I should say some Italien dietro.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 am

Help I am going through withdrawal!!

I need some World Cup action!! :P

I can't seem to get excited for tomorrow's "third place" match. It seems cruel to make those 2 teams play any more. They both did so well that they should be allowed to rest. At this point I am sure they all feel there is no difference between 4th and 3rd place.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:39 pm

My condolences Sue Ellen, but man that Zidane blew it. What was he thinking? He was going out in such a respectable manner and then pouf! He headbutts someone and gets ejected from his last game ever. What was he thinking? That was just sad. :(

Oh well. South Africa 2010 here we come!!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:17 pm

I was so upset by that, Bonnie! My understanding was that the Italian player who he attacked had said something highly derogatory and racist to him and Zidane, who is very outspoken in the French press against racism, went nuts. But then again, that is 2nd hand from what is being said in France, and what some Italian friends of mine are saying. Zidane should have kept his cool, of course, but...

Either way, ALLEZLESBLEUS!!!

It was a great game, they played marvelously, and besides - they'll always have 1998!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm

But he is a smart man and it is obvious that anything said at that point in the game was meant to draw a foul. By headbutting he just gave in to the racist remark as EVERYONE French and Italian wants to know what was said to instigate that reaction. Either way, the butt happened so late after the initial physical contact that it's cleat he LET the other guy get to him. He should have walked away. :(

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:41 pm

*sigh*

Yes, he should have. It was a sad day.
:cry:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 pm

In a twist on the removing your shirt in celebration, Italian player Gennaro Gattuso removed his shorts! :shock:

Here is a photo link if you feel the need to check it out! :P

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo?slug=getty-57625972rm409_final_italy_v_7_08_06_pm&prov=getty

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:21 am

Ahh, even great men like Zidane can be big babies. Disappointing, and yet...not terribly surprising.

C'est la vie...

Now I can concentrate on Le Tour.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:57 am

Is anyone left in Le Tour ?
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Click this link if, like me, you really hate unsolved puzzles and unanswered questions:

Materazzi Insulted Zidane's Sister

So, he's a great brother and not a baby. That makes me happy.

Sue Ellen

Return to “Say Something”