music festivals

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

music festivals

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 pm

Long before discovering the Kerrville Folk Festival - I had attended only one music festival. It was Willie Nelson's Annual Fourth of July Picnic held outside of Austin, Tx.

I could not believe how much fun a festival could be. The year was 1986 and I was a fan of Willie's....as well as Neil Young, also on the bill. What memories.

Kerrville surprised me too. All that music, on stage and off. The campgrounds in the wee hours, Ellis at Camp Nashville, David Wilcox here and there. Ahh, good times. John Gorka live for the first time around a late night song circle, the only light the burning embers of the campfire.

Do you have a favorite festival...past, present, or future?
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow, Willie's 4th of July picnic in 1986... I was born in 1986 so that one was a little while before I got into folk music.
I have only been to one festival, Woodyfest, here in Oklahoma and it was pretty great.. although one year I want to actually camp there. I would also like to go to Kerrville and Austin City Limits sometime in my life.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:10 pm

I've not been to Kerrville in ages....but year after year, in early May, I get a smile out of my wife at the mere mention of Kerrville. I always say to her, "we're going to Kerrville." Just a great getaway for music lovers.

Our very first Ellis Paul show was Kerrville.......it was Ellis' first mainstage performance the year after winning New Folk. Maybe 1995.

It was my wife's first trip to Kerrville......she was blown away by all the great music everywhere. Also the whole camping in the meadow and swimming in nearby rivers - "the funky cold medina" - was a favorite spot.

All total I've attended the festival 4 or 5 times...always a blast, if you don't mind losing sleep. And near round the clock live music. Old friends have mentioned the physical changes to the main stage grounds, restrooms, and showers, and gone as far as saying I would not recognize the place.

I've had my eye on many a festival over the years, and the Austin City Limits Festival is the latest......what a lineup of artists they had last year!!!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:00 am

Folkwax arrived today with this news:

Kerrville Folk Festival Schedules Available:

The Kerrville Folk Festival will take place May 24-June 10 this year. The world's most famous acoustic Folkfest takes place in the beautiful Hill Country of Central Texas (before it gets too hot!) The schedule and the sheer number of artists appearing is much too rich to present here, but all the info is available now at:

www.kerrvillefolkfestival.com/2007schedules.htm
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:07 pm

That's a heck of a lineup....... need to figure out hwo to justify 18 days in Kerrville :)
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:27 pm

My favorite t-shirt from the festival:

Music People Are Crazy

I think that says it all.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:36 am

With festival season on the horizon, it'd be great to hear about some of your favorite outdoor festivals. I noticed this morning that John Gorka will be playing this year at the Stan Rogers Folk Festival. That makes perfect sense as Stan was an early influence on John's music.

What I didn't know....the fest has been going on for 10 years. :shock:

Here's a quick look:

http://www.stanfest.com
paddy

paddyinthepub

new bedford summerfest

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:25 am

Greater New Bedford Summerfest

July 6,7 & 8, 2007
New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park
New Bedford, MA

Some lineup this year.....more info at the link.

Standout artists slated to play include:

Vance Gilbert~Susan Werner~Jake Amerding~Maura O'Connell~
Patty Larkin~Rory Block~Jess Klein~James Keelaghan~Jack Hardy ~ and more.....including Kate Taylor......I've heard those Taylors can sing. :D

oh yea....Jeff Black will be there too. 8)

here's a link to the festival site: http://www.barrel-of-music.com/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:44 am

The Boston Music Festival (Sept 15 and 16, 2007) has a stellar lineup this year that includes :

EllisPaul
VanceGilbert
PattyLarkin
LoriMcKenna
JakeAmerding
CatieCurtis
BillMorrisey
ChrisSmither
ChrisTrapper
AntjeDuvekot
MarkErelli
JessKlein

This is like an all-star game.... :P
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:22 am

It most certainly is! Are you going paddy?
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, Mtngal, it is alot closer than Kerrville, and I'm due for something with the word "festival" in it... :lol: I hope I can make it..... :wink:

Anyone else with their sights on this one?
paddy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:14 pm

I am planning on being there!
Susan

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Well, for those in/close to/longing to visit Oklahoma... The Grape Ranch Vinyards in Okemah is hosting the Red Dirt Music Festival this weekend. Looks to be much fun, with great Okie favorites like The Red Dirt Rangers, Tom Skinner, Bob Childers, Travis Linville and lots, lots more.

I don't think I'm going to able to make it, as back to school for the Fab Five has taken it's toll on my pocketbook this month... but I'll be there in my heart! :)
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Return to “Say Something”