4th of July songs

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

4th of July songs

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:20 am

Happy 4th everyone!

I didn't realize there were so many songs about the 4th of July, many of them with that title. That realization happened last night while listening to Music Choice on TV when I heard Shooter Jennings' song titled "4th of July". The only one I knew was Springsteen's "4th of July Asbury Park" (Sandy) although I didn't really know it until The Swoonworthiest included it on his live CD Courier. :wink: I think it remains my favorite 4th of July song.

But in doing a bit of research I've discovered others:

U2 4th Of July
GALAXIE 500 Fourth Of July (this was an early band of Luna's Dean Wareham)
DAVID BYRNE Independence Day
X Fourth Of July
SANTANA (with Everlast) Put Your Lights On
AIMEE MANN 4th Of July
ELLIOTT SMITH Independence Day
DAVE ALVIN Fourth Of July

Any others you can think of? Any favorites? Besides Ellis Paul, of course. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:33 am

Robert Keen recorded a cover of Dave Alvin's Fourth Of July and made it his own. Great version of the song.

Great topic....looking fwd to more...
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:24 am

I remember well being 17 and hearing Van Morrison's St. Dominic's Preview. It has always held a special place in my Van Morrison collection. Perhaps because it was the first. Perhaps it was the overall vibe and the way it opened my eyes to this artist and this kind of music.

Independence Day on this record is one of my faves.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 am

I guess I was one of the few who was at a computer yesterday... because I was at work :!:

Did anyone hear any notable 4th of July songs yesterday? I watched a bit of the Steven Tyler/Joe Perry performance with the Boston Pops 4th of July show on TV last night. That was some different music to celebrate the 4th. :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:20 am

Karen, Thanks for asking, but my cable is still out....so my answer is:

Dream ON :lol: Did they do that one?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:04 am

They sure did. In all it's screamin' glory. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:10 am

I think that was the theme song of my senior prom. Not sure because I didn't go, but I'm pretty sure that was it. Scary.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Say Something”