July 10 in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

July 10 in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize!

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:36 am

Ellis is pictured above at an early WoodyFest with good friend Don Conoscenti and another artist who happens to be celebrating his 60th birthday TODAY! This artist's career exploded in 1967 with the release of "Alice's Restaurant." The song premiered at the Newport Folk Festival and helped foster a new commitment among the '60s generation to social consciousness and activism. He went on to star in the 1969 Hollywood film version of "Alice's Restaurant", directed by Arthur Pen

Can you name today's birthday boy who's releasing a brand new CD In Times Like These TODAY? Ellis has recently been telling a funny story about meeting this well-known singer-songwriter. :)

I'll send a copy of the DVD from the 8th Woody Guthrie Folk Festival (2005): Woody Sez: A Tribute to Woody Guthrie to the first person who replies with the answer to today's trivia. (Ellis performs on the DVD.) :)

Click HERE for answer.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:24 am

Happy Birthday to Arlo Guthrie!!!

Alice's Restaurant, all 18 minutes of Side one of the LP, was one of the handful of albums I bought with my first paycheck working as a busboy in a restaurant. A handful of friends and co-workers there were quite the hippies and turned me on to a number of great artists, this artist and Album among the many and I just knew I had to have it!!!

It's funny looking back and recalling my parent's reaction to the music that was playing on my stereo.....especially Alice's Restaurant.

I had them sit for all 18 minutes of it.....hoping they'd see the beauty of such a well told story....alas....generation gap was huge back then. :wink:

It took me weeks to play Side 2 of the record, and when I did, I knew I'd found an artist whose music I liked and a record that was truly one for the ages...... 8)

side note: my wife works with a guy who looks just like Arlo Guthrie. His name is Dan, and every single time I see him I tell him he looks just like Arlo Guthrie. He is just one of the nicest guys i have ever met. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:48 am

Congrats Paddy!!
It appears as though Arlo has recovered from the initial fright of Ellis stripping down to show of the tattoo of his dad! :lol:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:07 am

You got it, Paddy! Send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll pop the DVD in the mail when I return from WoodyFest.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks Karen....and everybody....including Ellis and Arlo Guthrie.... :)

I'll have to plan a trip to Woodyfest one of these days!!!

Safe travels all and also looking forward to the reports to come.

side note and Woody Guthrie trivia:

Willis Alan Ramsey's debut record in 1972 had a song about Woody.

Anybody know the song??? :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”