Song of the Week - July 3, 2006 - Independence Day

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Song of the Week - July 3, 2006 - Independence Day

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi folks,

Thought "Independence Day" might be the perfect song for this week... a song that provokes much speculation. Why did he kick her out? Lots of metaphorical clues seem to indicate some level of cheating going on...the fact that he can't lay in his bed the same way. She's getting mysterious phone calls. He sees the light both figuratively and literally as the fireworks crash....his epiphany....it's when he realizes what's going on....and the final affirmation is the phone number he finds hidden in the matchbox. In some ways the female character feels like it could be Maria from "Maria's Beautiful Mess"....lots of the same chaos...and the seemingly ability to cast a spell on those around her.

This is another song that at one time I had to play repeatedly for days.... :)

Not sure about "If you paint the daylight tragic you're never gonna figure it out." You guys have any insight about that line? Any other thoughts?

KarenZ

Independence Day
I'll shed some light on the mystery
Of why I kicked her out on Independence Day
With the fireworks burning I found myself learning
Couldn't lay in my bed the same way
Stand by me that's what she said if the shit hit the fan
Would you stand by me,
Stand by me
Well, here I am
Here I am

6 o'clock in the city
The shade was fighting back with the morning sun
Then the alarm started ringin'
Her curls fell round her
She asked me when the buses run
And the phone's been ringing since Monday
She's looking for a place where she can talk all alone
But here I am
Here I am

I know your tricks, your magic
But I don't know what your truth is about
If you paint the daylight tragic
You're never gonna figure it out
Out...

From a chair in the kitchen
I watched her live her life in a batting cage
Swingin' through jobs, through her family
Then it hit me, it grabbed me
She's winding up like Satchel Page
And I could hear the crash of the fireworks
Bringing in the light through the windows and doors

It lit a little matchbox found in the kitchen
I read the name and number and I fell on the floor
But here I am
Here I am
Here I am

I know your tricks, your magic
Now I know just what your truth is about
If you paint the daylight tragic
You're never gonna figure it out
Out...

Stand by me
That's what you said
You said you'd stand by me
Stand by me
Here I am
Here I am -- Ellis Paul
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:25 am

This song got repeated spins in my player too. I think player is the key word here. My take is that the guy has fallen for this girl hard and it is very early in the relationship. He knows little about her for the most part.

Most of their time spent alone has been at her place. She has to ask him when the buses run, so she's not familiar with his neighborhood. He has taken a chance on this girl. She's possibly trouble. He finds out in fact that she is.

He can't lay in his bed the same way. Lay is a slangy verb here. What he's found out about her is that she is something of a call girl. She can't make any money as a nine to fiver......paints the daylight tragic.

The phone's been ringing since Monday is her cellphone in her purse. She has not answered it. When she does, she looks for a private place to talk. A sure sign that her allegiance is not with him, but with the person who sets up her appointments. Probably her madame or snoop daddy dude. If the shit hits the fan would you stand by me?.......maybe he knows what she does and is ok with it..and willing to stand by her side if the powers that be won't let her just walk away.

The name and number on the matchbox is a final straw for our guy. It's printed on the front of the matchbox, not handwritten. It's just that she's been back to her ''old tricks'' and this ''place'' is infamous for picking up ladies of the night....''I know your tricks, your magic''. She's making a living at this and it's more than he can handle. Perhaps he was a sucker and she had him convinced that she had quit those ways......only to find out via the matchbox that he had been played.

That's my 2 cents this morning. Only thing is....I've never looked at this song as close as just now. I never in a million would have said this about the song when I used to be ocd and play it repeatedly.

I'm sure I left something out or put something in that ought not be there, but it's still great fun to speculate.

Thanks Karen.......and Happy Independence Day everybody!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:48 am

I also played this song over and over, I love the beat to this song. I think he has known the girl for awhile. Knows her habits, her "rocky" relationship with her family.
I always pictured a handwritten name and number on the matchbox, Like someone saying call me. I think it is someone he knows. He wouldn't have been surprised if she was having an affair, the relationship wasn't going well, he was just surprised he recognized the name and number, thus knocking him to the floor.

I'll need to listen to this song a few times today, I wonder if there is something different than from the lyrics that makes me think this way.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:45 am

I get the same impressions and pictures from this song as Patti does; I also imagine he knows she's fooling around, but is bowled over when he discovers who it is.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:19 pm

ok, now I'm really having fun with this one. I know these songs can be subjective and we usually all hear these songs about the same.

But, after Sue said she agreed with Patti I had to go back and read the lyrics all the more closely......and it gets worse!

Our guy is no longer safe in his own house.

The girl is involved with a heavy mafia guy and has decided to leave him.

Her curls fall round her...she has cut her hair for disguise.

She needs a bus out of town...when do the buses run?

He said he would stand by her....he knew she had a boyfriend...he just didn't know it was the likes of Tony Soprano.

This could totally work as the back story....but would totally ''change '' the song for most of us.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”