Songs in TV commercials

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Songs in TV commercials

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:30 am

Folks,

Have any of you seen the Advance Auto Parts televison commercial showing a variety of persons changing the air filters on their cars with The Hollies singing "All I need is the air that I breathe" in the background? Such a great fit for a song - really clever. :) I hope this link works:

Advance Auto Parts

Any other songs in commercials that you like? I wish Patti's idea for Jiffy Lube to use Ellis' "3000 Miles" would happen. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:24 pm

I really liked Nissan's 350Z commercial with Woody Guthrie's "Riding in my Car"

Blacktop train might be a good car commercial too!

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Also the post office used Woody's "Mail Myself to You." It's been a while since I've heard that, though.

And Emily, don't forget another of my favorites (and I'm sure yours as well!) is Oklahoma Blood Institute's commercial with "The World Ain't Slowin' Down" in it. :D A portion of it is on the website at:

Oklahoma Blood Institute

For a while, I used to hear Patty Griffin's song "Rain" on commercials for St. Anthony's Hospital in OKC. (I think it was this particular hospital if I'm remembering correctly)

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:45 pm

I hear Hem's "Half an Acre" a good bit in a commercial for......I forget! I think it's a real estate company. :oops:

Becky, thanks for that wonderful link!!! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:12 am

You're quite welcome, Karen! :wink:
Didn't someone on the db previously suggest "Take all the Sky you Need" for an airline commercial? What about "Seize the Day" for an ad for a travel agency? We should consider careers in marketing. :lol:
Becky

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:58 am

Becky- how could I forget the OBI commercial??!! I'll never forget one of my friends commenting at one of EP's concerts when he played that song that everytime he hears that song he wants to give blood. :)

My degree is in marketing and I have yet to use it - maybe we should start something up. ;)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:02 am

Eliot Morris, you remember him, the guy I used to think was Adam Duritz in disguise.......his song "This Colorful World" was used in a commercial for Crayola Crayons.

and btw....Eliot's musical style and voice, while CC influenced and AD like, still rings true enough.....file under must hear for fans of Counting Crows.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Little did we know, when we started this discussion about songs in commercials, that we would someday hear Antje Duvekot singing over a national ad for Bank Of America.

Though I haven't seen it in a while now....it's still way cool!!! :D

Congrats again to Antje Duvekot & co. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”