Blue Moon songs

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Blue Moon songs

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 am

Folks,

Depending on the time zone you're in there is a Blue Moon either yesterday (May 31) or today (June 1). A Blue Moon is the name given to the second full moon that appears in any one month.

The artist who started me following acoustic folk music was Nanci Griffith. My very favorite Nanci song is "once in a very blue moon". I think the song is sorta Nanci's signature song.....Nanci calls her band the Blue Moon Orchestra.

It occured tome that there are lots of other Blue Moon songs. I can think of several....including Van Morrison's "once in a blue moon" (a totally different song from Nanci's!) and of course there's "Blue Moon" by the Marcels. :)

Can you name any others? I'll bet the moon in Ellis Paul's "Washington, DC" was a blue moon.... ;)

Politician and a stewardess
Underneath the monuments and the moon
He talked of national security
She talked of Paris in June
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:27 am

Oh Karen, you obviously weren't listening to NPR's "All Things Considered" the other evening! :wink: They interviewed the fellow who started the "rumor" that a Blue Moon was the second full moon in a month. He explained that in reality, a Blue Moon is the fourth full moon to fall in a season. (also how the original error came to be)

Full moons have names within each season (look in a Farmer's Almanac to find them), but since it is exceedingly rare to get 4 full moons in a season (much rarer than 2 full moons in a month), those moons never got named. There was a possible linguistic origin for "Blue Moon", from a french phrase (I've forgotten what it was)... I'll see if I can find a link to that news broadcast and interview.

That said, I've always liked Nanci G's "Once in a Very Blue Moon". Will have to track down the others!

here's the news link (hope it works!): Thanks!http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10554059
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:37 am

Wendy,

You are definitely our NPR girl! :D

Thanks for the link - it worked! - and for helping to correct the common mis-definition of Blue Moon......whatever the definition, Blue Moons have been an inspiration for quite a few songs! :)

I just listened to the NPR story - it was quite interesting!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”