VA Tech tragedy

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

mm

VA Tech tragedy

Postby mm » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 pm

It's been a really hard day hearing the devastating news out of VA Tech, which is where I went for my undergraduate schooling. I love that campus, and I had classes in the hall where the shootings took place. There are lots of connections, though they were a number a years ago. It was always such a beautiful, peaceful place.
My heart and prayers go out to the families and friends of those involved.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 pm

Monica, how emotional and awful it must be for you to see the video coming out of of your old campus. It's been a trying day.....let's all send positive thoughts and prayers for the victims, their families and friends, and all who have been affected in one way or another.

I suspect living in Virginia has made this a tough day for Ellis. He has put "autobiography of a pistol" as a free download on his MySpace as one way to do something positive in response. Look for a newsletter message from him within the next day or so as well.

I can't help but wish the lyrics in "9 months to fix the world" would come true - and that we could "clear the world of bullets and confiscate the guns...fill up all the barrels with chewed up bubble gum".

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 pm

My day was just so uneventful, starting out in the usual way they all just seem to begin. A few to do list items to tackle. A bit of time checking in here. A quick run to the dentist office with my son ( his first cavity ) only to find an empty building with a sign on the door saying "Sorry, No Electricity". Back to the house and back to more of the uneventful same.

Awaited my son's arrival from school, and despite the cold, told him we'd have a catch, once he finished his homework. The time flew by as we practiced all aspects of hitting at a little league level. Well, ya try to keep it at that level anyway, but it always ends up sounding more like the bigs.

Time got by us and before we knew it, my wife had pulled up in front of the house. Shocked that she would be home so early, I asked her the time. It was close to 6 pm. We finished up our batting and headed for the warmth of home. I came in as I usually do, saddled up to the kitchen counter, and started to check some emails and other mundane things.

The news was on and with the volume down a bit, I wasn't payin much attention to it. My wife was though, as she had heard the news that I had not. That's when the news was broke to me. She said to me as she eyed the story that I soon began to watch very closely " Hey, did you hear about the school shooting today?" "No". I hadn't, I don't think I even had the tv on once all day. When I looked at the screen they were flashing scenes from Columbine years ago. In my mind, for a minute, I thought it must have been the anniversary of Columbine, and someone went nuts at a High School somewhere in America to honor the occasion??? They were showing photos of the two teens responsible for the deaths at Columbine.

Then it sunk in, as the story unfolded here. Not a high school at all. No, not some confused picked on teenager at some high school. It was Virginia Tech. Wait a minute, this is a school I know of. Okay, how do I know it? Sports, of course. Okay, why else, I thought. Wait, Ellis moved to Virginia recently. Is it near Va. Tech? I don't know. It's close enough to home that he's feeling it more than me right now. I have been oblivious to this news all day.....and it happened early this morning.

Then my wife tells me it's the highest death count ever in a single shooting. Then the news tells me the death count is 33 dead. They say it has surpassed shooting spree at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas back in the early 90's. I don't recall the year exactly, but I do recall that I knew someone who was eating in the cafeteria when the gunman started shooting up the place. She escaped unharmed. She was President of a bank my girlfriend at the time was employed by. I knew the home office was in Killeen, Tx. I knew her Boss went there occasionally to talk shop with the big boys. When the news broke then, I instantly thought of the connection, but figured there was no way she was in Killeen that day, let alone the very place the shootings had just taken place. As I watched the unfolding news that day, we received word that she was there, actually there, ground zero of sorts, and had escaped unharmed. It's an awkward sigh of relief at best.

I saw the late press conference tonight, and I was shocked to learn the way the events unfolded, where police assumed the inital 2 persons shot and killed were part of a domestic dispute, I think they called it. It was a few hours later that the rest of the shootings took place on the very same campus.

With Police very much on the scene, and on the job, and looking for this person of interest, he lays waste the lives of 30 or more people. Like that.

I don't know how you break news like this to friends and family of these innocent victims. I don't know how you live with news like this. I don't.

I too pray for the families, friends and loved ones. They likely woke up today, not unlike the rest of us, looking forward to another uneventful day.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 pm

I just picked up the evening paper to discover that the young man with the bullet wound to the femoral artery of the leg (who would have bled to death if he hadn't used an electrical cord on himself as a tourniquet) - pictured being carried out of the building by 4 policemen - graduated from my high school. He was an Eagle Scout....which probably saved his life.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Karen,
It's so tough all around, especially when it hits close to home. It's a small world in some ways. It's an extreme set of circumstances here that no one should ever have to be in with so many lives that have been affected and changed. We all need to keep the prayers and good thoughts for the students and families.
Thanks, all.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 am

I've read Ellis' thoughts on the recent tragic event at Virginia Tech. His words came via an email that some of you have no doubt also received. Somehow I knew Ellis would be able to put into words the problem behind the tragedy. Thankfully we have folks like Ellis to shed some light on the subject at hand. If not on the email list, keep a lookout for it on Ellis' Blog.

just noticed:

Karen Z has just posted it in "Call Out the Paparazzi"

Thanks Karen...well done, as usual. With links to the Governor of Va.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:55 am

Folks,

There's a beautiful video on the VA Tech website In Memory of All Those We Have Loved and Lost. The video is set to the music of Eddie From Ohio's "Walk Humbly Son". I'm sure many of you know EFO's music. The group is made up of Julie Murphy Wells, Robbie Schaefer, Michael Clem and Eddie Hartness. What you may NOT know is that Schaefer, Clem and Hartness are all graduates of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA.....and Julie Murphy Wells graduated from VA Tech with the Class of '88.

Here's the link:

In Memory of All Those We Have Loved and Lost

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:23 am

Thank you for the link to this moving and heartwrenching tribute to the victims and survivors of this tragedy.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:37 am

Echoing Sue Ellen's comments, thank you for a chance to reflect in peace a very moving tribute to the fallen at Va. Tech. Watched it a few times y'day and the snapshots and video, set to a beautiful hymn like song by EFO had me thinking of a speech given long ago by President Kennedy when he announced to the crowd in Berlin, Germany that we are all Berliners. The moving speech by the poet laureate in residence at Va. Tech gave me the that same sense of connection. For it can be said, that at least for now, we are all "HOKIES" - and it's safe to say "We are Virginia Tech!!!"
paddy

Return to “Say Something”