Boston Marathon ~ Nor'easter

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Boston Marathon ~ Nor'easter

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:52 am

Anybody running in the marathon today? Checking Ellis' forum while you're warming up for this one? :P

The storm that has hit the East Coast is hard enough to deal with, and a marathon length race is tough enough to get ready for, let alone a 24 hour delay as seen here.

Anyone ever run a marathon? Do the cooler temps help? I wonder how many folks had to call into work today....."yea, hi, it's me Jim/Jane - you know why I won't be in today" - "See ya tomorrow".

Hope you guys/girls are all fairing well during this storm. Stay safe.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:39 am

Ellis mentioned the other night he would like to see the marathon run in the snow....he also mentioned he wanted to be on his couch watching it!!

This coming from a former track star!!

paddyinthepub

too funny!!!

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:49 am

:lol:

Oh that Ellis....what sense of humor...what a realist!!!

I just dropped my son at school (2 hour delay today) and noticed a couple of trees on the way to being uprooted..not completely out of the ground but they will likely have to come down. These were along the route, not trees in my yard or even my neighborhood. So far we have faired well. The news around town and the NE in general is pretty unbelievable given that it's mid April.....this my first Nor'easter, ever.

Will/Is the Boston Marathon being televised today?
paddy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:28 pm

Paddy-

I realize this is a couple of days late, but ai figured I'd fill you in.
Of course the maration is televised, Downtown is a mess and it would take a really severe weather for them to cancell the marathon. Too many people from around the globe show up, can't cancell. Too much money involved...and besides, if you're rumming 26.2 miles, you're already crazy and a little weather doesn't seenm to matter :wink:

Marathon monday is also a state holiday in Massachusetts - Patriots' Day. Big battle in concord/Lexington. There is a huge civil war re-enactment on this date every year also. The also have an afternoon home game for the Red Sox and the Marathon runs right past Fenway park...LOTS of people.
Susan

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:46 pm

SusanH.....

My bad!!! It was my impression the race was slated to be run on Sunday and thus delayed til Monday due to weather. I gather from your words that it was scheduled for Monday all along. :oops:

To be honest I never really could watch marathons on TV with any real interest, unless I happen to tune in near the finish to see the men's and then the women's marathon winner crossing the line. I love to watch the masses at the start.....and I;ll flick back every now and then if I'm watching tv that day, just to see how it's going.

Did anyone happen to watch the race? I missed it.

Sounds like one hec of a party in Boston, if you don't mind crowds and all the hassles getting around. It's times like those I wish i lived in the city proper, in stead of out on the outskirts liike I always seem to do.

The weather has certainly improved here, although the Delaware River flows south towards Philly from areas that recently saw 12 inches of rain. The trickle down effect has local news reporting a new rise in the river here and thus some local street flooding as creeks rise and spill into the streets.
paddy

Return to “Say Something”