Joshua Bell - busking in a subway station

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Joshua Bell - busking in a subway station

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I came across this on another forum that I occasionally post to and thought that you'd be interested to read it.

As an experiment, world renowned classical violinist Joshua Bell busked for 45 minutes in a Washington DC subway station during rush hour. How do you think he was received by the commuters???

Its a lengthy article but really does make some good points. I won't say anymore until you've had a chance to read it yourselves

Washington Post article 'Pearls before breakfast'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Jela,

Wow. What an experiment. And what a long newspaper article! Replete with video clips! I'm not surprised at all at the outcome. I don't want to say anything else that might give it away...

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Very interesting. although I too, am not surprised. Rush hour in the morning, you just don't have time to stop. Everyone one of us is guilty of the same thing, no time, too busy, just ignore it, pretent it's not there.
Susan

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am

Saw this at the library y'day with no time to read it..so i printed it off.

22 pages at 10 cents a copy.... :shock: looks like a cool experiment.

Thanks Susan. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Folks,

Two friends on the board both highly recommended the book "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett. Even the waitress behind the bar at the Pinos Altos Opera House spoke hightly of it. :) So....I'm in the throes of reading it. In a nutshell, it's a story about 58 international hostages and their captors who forge unexpected bonds through no common language - except music. Just a few minutes ago I read the passage below....and it immediately made me think of this thread on the board...and those of us who are lucky enough to have found Ellis Paul's music....and recognize it for what it is...

Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see.

And hear.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:10 am

Following the Washington Post article here's a commentary that apperaed in today's edition of the Times

Times article

I think that both articles raise an interesting question - Do most people value great art (a musical performance) only when they are being told it is great by for example being charged to see/hear it?

I have to say that I would probably have walked straight past Joshua Bell because I don't know much about classical music and have very little knowledge of classical compositions. Would I have been able to recognise a virtuoso? Probably not in this genre but if it was someone performing in a genre that I am intersted in then yes I hope that I would be able to recognise excellence.

What do you think you would have done?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 am

Jela,

Because of the timing/location I suspect I would have walked right past too. However, had it been in an amphitheater on the Washington Mall....or even on the steps of the Capitol, I think I would have stopped to listen. Assuming, of course, that I liked what I was hearing.

I do think people in general are awayed when told something is great...and/or when they have to pay $$$. I was just thinking the other day that I'm just not going to apologize or feel guilty/weird when I don't like something or someone who the majority seems to like. (I often do think there's something wrong with me in those instances.) Some of the singer-songwriters who I hear on the radio who are (temporarily anyway) the darlings of the day, I sometimes think have very little talent....but they are touted as "the next big thing" or whatever.

I'm an iPod hold-out, BTW. :)

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:I think that both articles raise an interesting question - Do most people value great art (a musical performance) only when they are being told it is great by for example being charged to see/hear it?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:09 am

Woke up in the middle of the night last night and good thing I did.

Down to the kitchen for a late night coffee (my defense against the flu bug that ran rampant through our family over the holidays. :wink: )

Turned on the television and the local PBS staion was airing Live From Lincoln Center. It was taped the day before, New Year's Eve. A full symphony orchestra was onstage and an amazing soloist on Violin.

Thought to myself "that is one beautiful violin" -- wonder if it's a strat?

Was just about to channel surf away when the info button revealed this guy wasn't just any old soloist.

It was Josh Bell.... :D

I sipped my 2am coffee and basked in the beauty of the music pouring from the Lincoln Center stage and this man's violin. I fell asleep to it and woke hours later, still sitting in my chair.

Feelin fine.... :wink:

Love this forum!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”