Kurt Vonnegut

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Kurt Vonnegut

Postby wendy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 am

I was sorry to hear of Kurt Vonnegut's death today. I've always liked his books. They are preplexing and thought-provoking and mind-opening, though rarely easy to read.
The news coverage mentioned the fact that he was a serious music fan (jazz being his preferred genre)

His self-requested epitaph:
The only proof I've ever needed for the existence of God is music.

I like that.
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:21 am

Wendy,

Thanks for the post. I had not heard the news. What a great quote.

Karen

The only proof I've ever needed for the existence of God is music.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:19 am

In the interest of accuracy, here's the exact quote from the NPR broadcast (I seem to have done some unintentional editing while trying to get it on paper :oops:)

Though he was a vocal religious skeptic, Vonnegut wrote in that final essay collection that "if I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: 'The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music.'"

I still like it.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Wxpn in Philly played a short set of songs by artists who were influenced by Kurt Vonnegut's works. The DJ broke the news about Kurt's passing and mentioned there is a website and an article there that touches on the subject of artists and songs directly related to Kurt and his work.

Wish I had jotted down the website....sorry folks. The 3 song set played included Man Out of Time by Elvis Costello and a song by Dave Matthews Band.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”