Richie Havens

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Richie Havens

Postby wendy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:43 am

What a glorious end to a snowy-stormy day (and power-less)!
First our area was "blessed" with a heavy, wet snowfall that dropped trees and powerlines, and then with the presence of a true folk/rock icon, as Richie Havens performed at the Boothbay Opera House last night.
WHAT A VOICE!
This man's sound hits you in the gut and resonates...forever. It's soothing and energizing and almost hypnotic. A couple of very talented friends accompanied him (sorry I didn't catch their names) on guitar and cello, but the voice was totally Mr Havens. What an evening. Sigh. (that's a happy sigh)

(for those of you who don't know, Richie Havens was an integral part of the Greenwich Village scene in the '60s and has been making music and touring ever since. Check out his listing in Wickipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Havens It's really enlightening.)
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:35 am

Wendy...while "puxatawny phil" ~ the infamous groundhog, resides in the same state....I claim no responsibilty for his predictions. I was all set for Spring myself...where on earth did this come from? Oh yea, CANADA!!! :roll:

Nothing like good music to warm the spirit, taking our minds off this unseasonable snow for even a few hours. I spoke to a young man last night outside Pittsburgh, and he said he was heading south for spring break and thus avoid any more of this misery. When I asked if he was Florida - bound, he said no, " D.C." :shock: I guess that's far enough. 8)

One last weather related and musical anecdote ~ yesterday afternoon I drove 250 miles west of here to the small town of Greensburg, Pa. to see Bill Deasy and his Full Band perform on the campus of The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. Great venue, great concert, great idea - for the most part. In my younger days, such a roadtrip would have been a piece of cake regardlees of the weather. The 250 mile/4 hour trip west was easy enough. There were intermittent stretches of light snow flurries and clear skies. Again, all by light of day, fully alert, and more than a little high on adrenaline for what the destination held in store.

Had all kinds of great music along to keep me from slipping into any kind of sleepiness. Don Con and Ellis all over "Paradox of Grace" and the amazing 2nd Disc of Ellis Paul Essentrials ~ that's the rockier one ~ chalk full of all the great tunes we've been discussing here lately. Melissa Etheridge helped too, as did Chris Knight. So the ride west was easy.

After the show, around 10:30pm, I'm looking at what I hope will be an easy return trip. It's only 250 miles to home, another 4 hours in the car with plenty of great music to keep me alert. Thirty minutes into the drive on 76 East as the flurries start to get heavier, suddenly I get the sense I'm smack dab in the middle of an Ellis' wintry love song "Blizzard". Snow is coming hard and fast and sideways at the windshield and playing tricks with my senses. All traffic is slowing to a safe crawl and lots of folks had given up and pulled to the shoulder. I pushed on, got behind some big rigs with bright taillights helping me keep my bearings with the road. Coincidently enough, as the flurries began to lighten, it was time to switch CDs again, and this time I just happen to grab one of Bill Deasy's less mainstream releases, a collection of songs called "Drain Tapes" to pop in for another much needed adrenaline boost. Halfway through the fifth song on the disc ~ "I Will Go" ~ the snow stopped.

Phones line open ~ are you there?
Baby the sound of your voice ~ is kinda like air.
Were you sleeping? ~ this could not wait.
The angels are stirring ~ I think they're awake
And preparing to usher us gently up out of the dark.

Over the mountains and rivers and
under the light of the sheltering sky
I travel onward ~ with stars in my eyes

Long as it takes to deliver my
message of hope to the whole world tonight, tonight
I will go...I will go....Yes I will go...I will go

Is your faith waning? Or does it flow?
Where this road will lead us ~ I do not know.

Oh I will love you
with all of the love
I have left in my heart

The song has always reminded of early Jackson Browne. I once asked anyone who knew ~ just who was singing the amazing bg vocals on the track. Like I need to check this guy out too!!! The answer came quick and obvious. It was Bill himself....laid the bgvox down in the basement. :oops: Come to think of it, as I listen again and again to it tonight, this would be a great song for Richie Havens to do. Ahhhh, I knew I'd get back to Richie Havens....didn't you?

I'd heard of Richie Havens through all the music that passed through my yonger days...was it the Woodstock Soundtrack when I was but 11 years old? Yep, I think that was it....A friend ~ the odd one in the group ~ be had the double ~ maybe even triple vinyl recorded version of Woodstock.

It was eons later that I would cross paths with his music again, and in the least likely way. It was a new favorite record of mine, by Cliff Eberhardt, that had Richie Havens playing acoustic guitar and duet vocals on the powewrful title track ~ "The Long Road"

Whew.....talk about taking the long way home..... :oops: I really enjoyed seeing Richie Havens last summer at the "Under the Stars" music series held Sunday nights all summer long in King Of Prussia, Pa.

Richie Havens, finally.....in the flesh before my eyes. He has such a presence, it was like watching royalty walk by as he made his way from the pavillion in back through the crowd toward the stage. What a spirit this gentle man gives off...I was mesmerized the whole time. I fantasized going up to him and saying something stupid like " Mr. Havens, I just loved your duet vocal with Cliff Eberhardt on "Long Road".

I ain't that brave. :?

Yet!!! :wink:

Here's the only lyrics I could find of that song..complete with guitar tabs.

E
There are the ones you call friends
Amaj7 A
There are the ones you call late at night
E
There are the ones who sweep away your past
B B7
With one wave of their hand
E
There are the ones you call family
E Amaj7 A
There are the ones you hold close to your heart
E
There are the ones who see the danger in you
B B7
And won't understand
E G#m A B
I can hear your voice in the wind
E G#m A B
Are you calling to me Down the long road
E G#m A B
Do you really think that there's an end
E G#m A B E A E A
I have followed my dreams, down the long road
E
You are the one that I met long ago
Amaj7
You are the one who saw my dream
A E
You are the one who took me from my home
B B7
And left me off somewhere
E
Somehow I feel you are here
E Amaj7
You are waiting in that dream
A E
Somewhere down this road we will awake
B B7
And be at the start again
E G#m A B
E G#m A B
E G#m A B
E G#m A B E A E A E
I have lived my whole life, down the long road

SOLO

C#m G#m F#m B
I've got to find you tonight
C#m G#m F#m B
Are you waiting for me
C#m G#m F#m B
I have followed my dream
C#m G#m F#m B
I have lived my whole life
C#m G#m F#m B
Are you waiting for me
E G#m A B
E G#m A B
E G#m A B
E G#m A B E A E A E
I will live my whole life, down the long road

From Cliff Eberhardt "The Long Road"
Windham Hill Records 1990
Aixoise Music(ASCAP)/Eberhardt Music(ASCAP)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 am

Hey Paddy,
Thanks for your wonderful tale. That Cliff Eberhardt's "Long Road" is a great song; Richie Haven's voice is serious icing on the cake. The man does have a presence that is amazing.

Give a listen to "Follow" on one of RH's early recordings ("Mixed Bag", for instance) or on a compilation. I think you'll be converted again. 8)
-wendy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:04 pm

I had not heard much Richie Havens music (at least not to pay much attention to....) until I heard his version of W*O*L*D on the Harry Chapin Tribute CD..... Absolutely magnificent. I love the character in his voice - warm and smooth in some ways, deep, dark and troubled at the same time as it carried the sad story out to the listener.

What a treat he must have been - especially under those circumstances - at the Opera House !
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm

"The bright good morning voice, that's heard but never seen
playing all the hits for you, where ever you may be"

I am the morning DJ
on W-O-L- DDDDDDDD!!!! :D

Great song..I just saw the Harry Chapin tribute CD in the record store yesterday!!!

Without my reading glasses with me..I could not see the track listing.

RH singing W.O.L.D. .....can't wait!!!
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Some real treats on there Paddy. Graham Nash singing "Sandy"..... The Boss singing "Remember When The Music".... The Hooters singing "One Light in a Dark Valley". One of my favorite CDs. I still miss Harry.....
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 pm

Yea, I miss him too. Gone way too soon. Look foward to getting the tribute cd now...thanks for the nudge... :D

I own most all Harry Chapin's studio releases (great stuff!!!) and a wonderful live double lp "Greatest Stories Ever Told".

Still hope to come across some live concert video someday.
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”