Wabi Sabi and Zen

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Wabi Sabi and Zen

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 pm

Folks,

OK...my interest has been peaked and I decided to find out more about Wabi Sabi and Zen. Inquiring minds can click below to read the Wikipedia articles on both topics. Short definitions:

Wabi Sabi = nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Zen = moment by moment awareness.

Wikipedia: Wabi Sabi

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen]Wikipedia: Zen
[/url]
Ellis, if you're reading this - any chance you can put a demo of the new song on MySpace? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 pm

I like the definition of Wabi Sabi.....I really do.

Been seeing the phrase for days now out here in the setlists of recent shows and trying to make sense of it. All i could come up with was that it sounds like the little kick of flavor added to soy sauce when we eat sushi - but, that's called "wasabi" - then I thought of the little spot down at the southern tip of Baja Mexico...but that's Cabo San Lucas...or as Sammy Hagar and others call it...CABO WABO.

I really do like the literal meaning and sentiment found within. I can't quite recall right now, is the new ZEN song also considered one of the new children's songs Ellis has been writing lately?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:51 pm

The way I understood Ellis' explaination:

Wabi Sabi is like rust adding character to a gate. Things becoming more interesting and beautiful as they age.

Like me!!! :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 pm

Paddy--
As far as I can tell the new "zen" song is not a children’s song.
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:02 pm

And ME! :D

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:The way I understood Ellis' explaination:

Wabi Sabi is like rust adding character to a gate. Things becoming more interesting and beautiful as they age.

Like me!!! :P
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Say Something”