Special 4th of July World Cafe radio broadcast

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Special 4th of July World Cafe radio broadcast

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Hey folks....if you have the opportunity, make sure to catch the special World Cafe 4th of July radio broadcast celebrating songs of America. Just finished listening to the first hour of the special 2-hour broadcast and it was just wonderful. The hour closed with Ray Charles' "America" and I swear I never heard all the little idiosyncracies of that song before. Wow. Other artists represented in the first hour were Bruce Springsteen, Randy Newman, and one non-American, Mark Knophler gettng some help from James Taylor on "sailing to Philadelphia". The second hour will include songs of small towns, including Iris Dement's "Our town" as well as "this land is your land" sung by Woody Guthrie and son, Arlo. David Dye says he will end the special with the "star spangled banner". I guess it's too much to hope that he somehow managed to get an Ellis Paul version. :wink:

I suspect the special broadcast will be repeated over the next few days so check out the World Cafe web site to find when it's broadcast in your area.

Great music to clean the kitchen floor by.... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Oh...I should have guessed. It was Jimi Hendrix's electrifed Woodstock version of the "star spangled banner". If only Frances Scott Key could have heard it.... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey that's a pretty good version !

Went to a Red Sox game a couple of years ago and happened to catch our favorite folk singer doing the National Anthem. He did a tremendous job - a little understated in some ways, but powerful because of that I think. Wish I had that captured....
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:12 pm

"Understated but powerful". Such a great description. And it's why our lapel pins are perfect. ;)

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”