General Book discussion

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

General Book discussion

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:24 pm

I noticed people talking about books in the Poll thread so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Other than the book club books, what does everybody read?

Right now I am reading "S is for Silence" by Sue Grafton. It is part of a series about a female private detective in the '80's, and I have been reading them since "A is for Alibi"
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Bonnie,

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you are a fan of Jonathan Kellerman, as am I. I found him a while back and have been hooked ever since. I'm currently reading Private Eyes. After that, it's Linda Barnes, Cold Case. If you've never read anything of hers, I highly recommend her. John Lescroat is another of my favorites.

Happy reading!

Monica R.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:26 pm

My youngest is now old enough for "Harry Potter;" we've started at the beginning of course, and I figure it will take us at least a year to work our way through all seven (number seven will be in bookstores in July (hopefully))...it's been a number of year's since I read "Sorcerer's Stone" with my older two; long enough to have forgotten many of the details, and to really enjoy this re-read. Plus, it's all new to her, and it's great to see her excitement every night when we pull it out.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Sue Ellen- I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, the new book definately comes out on July 21st! ( I've got mine pre-ordered) I will have to start rereading the books soon. I always reread the whole series before a new book comes out, you always find hidden clues. They are really wonderful books. I hope you daughter loves them!
Susan

JennyLevE

Harry Potter +

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I, too, am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I remember, fondly, when my Dad would read the early Harry Potter books to me, my brother and my sister. Once we got to the fourth book, however, my sister (who was little at the time) began to get a little to scared to listen and by the fifth book my brother and I wanted to read them much faster than a chapter or two a week and so the family tradition ended.

I am really excited for the final book.

On another note, I have just started the book Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It is fantastic. When I'm reading I hear a song as if the woman was singing her tale. It truly is remarkable.

Looking forward to discussing Huck Finn (I read it last year for school, so just intend to skim it quickly before the discussion).

--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:12 am

Folks, my comments here are less what I'm reading lately, more about a book written by singer songwriter Bill Deasy. It's called RANSOM SEABORN. I enjoyed it immensely.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed tonight that Bill's book takes the prize.

Here's a link to the 2006 Needle Awards:

http://girlondemand.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... inees.html
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

care

Postby care » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 pm

as anyone read any of jodi picoult's books?

i recommend "my sisters keeper" and she just released a new one called "nineteen minutes"

Return to “Say Something”