Feb. 1 in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Feb. 1 in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:30 am

Ellis Paul's first CD release Say Something was released on Feb. 1, 1993.

In celebration of Say Something's 14th birthday, please post what your favorite song or memory is of this CD.

My memory is of attending my second Ellis Paul show on Nov. 22, 1997 and being blown away when he did an a cappella version of the title track. It was at the UU Church in Titusville, NJ....a venue I didn't return to until 2 months ago (Dec, 2, 2006)....only to discover that EP hadn't been back in those nine years either....great song....great CD....

I apologize for posting this a day late.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Wow. I could go on for ages about this collection of songs.

What is there NOT to like about it?? Every single one of these is a "keeper", a song that sticks in your head and follows you around and makes you dig into the images, feelings, questions raised.

Favorite? I literally cannot pick just one. Top few? Perhaps...

Just the Jester Fool - for those lines that make me smile, each and every time I hear it (wooden floorboards, Cinderella, barefoot feet, for example...).

Blizzard - for those incredible images, so clear and complete that I can almost taste the exhaust.

Washington DC 5/91 - for the images of DC at night and for the socio-political issues alluded to.

Look at the Wind Blow - for the memories of youth at that age and the great sing-along chorus!

I could go on and on, but it's really someone else's turn now...
This is one of those albums I want to say THANK YOU for.
-wendy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 pm

Yes the first Ellis song I ever heard, Look At The Wind Blow, is on this album so it will always be a favorite. I think the title of the cd gives a glimpse to the future of this songwriter; that he will have something to say (and sing about) for years to come. You can hear the "youth" in Ellis voice in these songs especially now that you've heard his voice mature over the years. But unlike early records of other artist, this one is full of talent and I remember thinking then, (over ten years ago) WOW if he can sing and write lyrics like this now I know that I will be listening to him for years to come.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Say Something......indeed.

This CD got numerous OCD spins when it came in the house. All hours, night and day. All weather, sunny days and Thunder Booming Thunderstorm days Houston is so well known for.

We got "Stories" the day it came out, and fell hard. Might have been an insert that alerted us to SAY SOMETHING. We got it in short order, and man oh man were we hooked.

I particulary love the simple nature of the Album Cover. That photo of Ellis has always reminded me of the way James Taylor looked in the early days. And the music, well, only some of the best we had ever heard.

Had cruised a bit myself with an old friend in his parent's old FORD, so the song "Look at the Wind Blow" was an instant favorite. "Blizzard" is another favorite, mainly because of how it captures a snow storm in song. Didn't have much of it growing up in Houston. Before moving away, snow had always been sort of mystical to me anyway. But Ellis singing of driving through it to reach the girl...wow.

Love this record.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:55 am

I can't actually remember the first time I heard this CD but it has such a strong collection of songs AND is produced by Bill Morrissey, a hero in our household.

It is public knowledge that Bill has been struggling to overcome an alcohol addiction and we were pleased to learn recently that he was coming out of rehab and wish him all the very best with his continued recovery.

At the 28th Dec gig at Passims Bill mentioned a young singer/songwriter, Anais Mitchell, who had impressed him immensely at a festival they both played at. If he mentored Ellis when he was starting out and is recommending someone else, we've got to listen! Richard bought her CD, which is currently in my car (!) and we were not dissappointed. Bill's recommendation, as expected, was spot on. She's about to release her new CD (Feb 13th) and is coming over to England so we are seeing her at a house concert and probably a public concert too.

I know I'm rambling on but Bill Morrissey must have been a major influence on Ellis and so giving of his time to help a young musician on his way and boy look at what Ellis has achieved since! I also think its lovely that what Bill did for Ellis, he's been doing the same for Antje and just look at what she's achieved these past twelve months.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:55 am

Anais Mitchell will be at Stone Soup, (my local coffeehouse) at the end of Feb. Never having heard (of) her before I didn't know what to expect, but now I will listen with eager ears!! Thanks for the heads up.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:12 am

And I'll be seeing Anais Mitchell at a house concert here in Pittsburgh on Feb. 17! If you saw the link to this year's Folk Alliance nominees that I posted yesterday, you may have noticed that she's nominated for Emerging Artist of the Year.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”