Upcoming musical road trips

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Upcoming musical road trips

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Roadtrips worth mentioning could go here. Suggestions appreciated and encouraged. Richard and Jela, live vicariously through us if you like. :)
At least until you are able to journey across the pond. Til then, hold on!

coming up in my area: Outside Philadelphia

Lori Mckenna and Mark Erelli

Concerts on the Square - Exton, Pa. August 22nd

Bill Deasy and Liz Longley

Steel City Coffeehouse..... Phoenixville, Pa .....July 12th

The Media Theatre.....Media, Pa......August 19th

Safe travels all and have a great summer.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:42 am

I have just GOT to go see the Counting Crows on their summer tour.
Our 2 chances closeby look like Philly and Hershey,Pa.

From the old board, in the thread.....before, Ellis, who?,
my wife's answer would have been Adam Duritz.

It's symphony backed and pricey, but we HAVE to see this guy.

Especially if Eliot Morris is opening. :lol:

Way too OCD on this release.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:11 pm

We sure do have to live vicariously - often just sit here thinking if only we lived on the other side........happily a lot of our fave musicians do come over to England so we grab every chance we can to see them.

Additionally, being at SXSW now for three years running and at Newport Folk Fest twice we get our US music hits in big chunks!

Currently planning the next US trip - watch this space!

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:25 pm

Jela,

For a long time in my musical history, I only listened to music from the UK, so I feel your pain!!

This was pre internet too, so it was not easy to buy the music, let alone see it performed live. I remember flying home from England once. We had engine trouble. The first thing I did was grab the records that I had just purchased. If we crashed, I had no intention of leaving them on board. :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Its funny how nearly everything we listen to is US, the only UK musician that we really like and rate among the tops is Richard Thompson but he's a one off - so original and hey wouldn't you know it he lives in the States and is married to an American!

We always find it amusing that when we go to SXSW we want to see the US artists and always think that their shows are going to be sold out and that we'll have trouble getting in so we get there early and what happens? well so far, touch wood, we have never had a problem and find that the sold out shows are usually the Brit artists who the Americans are queuing round the block to see. Suits us fine!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:06 am

I find it interesting that our friends across the pond have been to SXSW in Austin and New Year's Eve at Passim in Boston....both of which I have never attended! :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:22 am

Yeah, I do too.

That's just not fair. :lol:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:27 am

:shock:

Karen, YOU have never been to Passim for New Years? And you call yourself an Ellis fan? :P

I was very fortunate. The first time I saw Ellis was a December 30th show (2004). At the time, I had no idea the importance of those shows. I believe they call that serendipity. :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:31 am

Doesn't 166 shows NOT at Passim count for anything? :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 am

KarenZ wrote:Doesn't 166 shows NOT at Passim count for anything? :wink:

KarenZ

Nope.

I'd best see you there this year!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:44 am

It's already in the planning stages thanks to Richard & Jela. :wink:

KZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:47 am

I'm reminded of the popular New Year's Eve song here.

Auld Lang Syne

I think that fits this conversation, right? :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Karen, Don't look now but I think James Blunt has plans to follow you and Ellis from town to town during your texas trip. I looked at both EP and JB tour dates and darned if they don't match up more than once.

Maybe you could arrange a sing - off ? :roll:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:59 am

We are off to Pittsburgh in a few hours for a weekend of fun in and out of the sun. It's time once again for Bill Deasy and the Full Band to take over Club Cafe for two shows on Saturday Night. We'll be there for both of them.

Other excursions include the amusement park Kennywood as well as their sister waterpark Sandcastle. Oh, to be young again!

Funny note....a fan once posted on Bill's site that she had turned her AUSTRALIAN friends on to his music. From then on, the friends would refer to this guy as ''the carpenter''.

Why you might ask? Their answer was simple:

''build easy''
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:00 am

Karen,

Nice lil town ya live in here. Had a blast with my son at the waterpark along the river. My how Homestead has grown! That strip of land was lil more than a concept and maybe the movie theatre when we lived here.

Bill's show(s) last nite at Club Cafe were rocking, rolling, intense. They were in a groove, a mood if ya will. Bill took the stage for the early show with a stylish plain white t - shirt and a summer sun streaked shock of blond hair. He looked like he could have grown up in Laurel Canyon circa 1970's. Holy Moly, the man was the def of swoonworthy onstage last night.

And then there's the way his songs take flight. The backdrop behind the stage makes it looks as though Bill is in the middle of a beautiful star filled sky. With the songs to match. He played with the intensity of a Rock Star, which by all rights he should be. Those boys belong on larger stages across the land, no question. Don't know how much longer the Club Cafe can host this kind of act without being a little worried about the condition of the roof.

Had the good fortune to meet up with several of the folks from the forum at both the early and late shows. What a nice bunch. I think most of them were anxious to solve the mystery: who is this guy that won't stop posting about music and stuff? Mission accomplished.

Off to Kennywood today before heading home later on. And they say Cleveland R.O.C.K.S ...........yea, right! If that's true, then Pittsburgh, on paper, has ROCK covered!!! Bill Deasy with Full Band shows are all the proof one needs. Someday he'll play the big outdoor shows and I'll get to see him '' Take All The Sky HE Needs ''. :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:38 am

Thursday July 13
6 -9 pm
Energy Park DownTown
Greenfield Mass.

FREE CONCERT

SIGNATURE SOUNDS ARTISTS

kris delmhorst
mark erelli
lori mckenna
jeffrey foccault
peter mulvey

I love outdoor music too. And free can be fun.

Anybody live close enough to greenfield to make this show?
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:59 am

I'll be there Saturday. Think they will still be singing then? :P

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Gee I dunno, maybe!!! If ya tell em yer coming, they might hang around!

I'm contemplating a roadtrip to Penn State to see Bill Deasy and the Full Band play the Quaker Steak and Lube in State College, Pa. It's about 3 hrs from home and the wife has not been asked about it yet. So we'll see.

It's the age old argument most of the time: ''you're not the boss of me''

So we'll see.....plus it's a free show tonite, so if you know anyone up that way tell em paddy said it's a sure bet.

Did I mention that it's tonite?

Start time 9 pm

I got to get gone, I got to get going....the grass still needs to be mowed.

stay tuned........ :lol:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 pm

Will do. One of my bestest buddies lives in Greenfield!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:42 pm

bon - yer buddy - greenfield mass or greenfield pa?

Bill's free show in central pa at state college

followed by altoona pa the next night where he performs the natl. anthem
and a concert following the altoona curve minor leauge baseball game.
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Mass.

Sorry. I told her to go see Mark Erelli not Bill Deasey. Shorter drive!
:D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 pm

On the road again indeed. I had the pleasure of meeting SueEllen and her 3 beautiful children tonight at the planned concert in Exton, Pa at Eagleview concerts on the square. The concert was the annual kid's night with performances scheduled to be Cat's Pajamas with Robbie Schaefer opening....I should have known, right? I saw Sue Ellen as she approached the outdoor setting and recognized her and one of her children from the old post yer mugshot thread on the old forum. What a pleasure it was surprising Sue Ellen as she had no clue what I looked like. I'd asked one of her kids if they'd driven far for this concert and the reply was " no, not really, just from Maryland. Then I knew it was SueEllen. They joined us at our chairs and blanket stage center about ten min. before showtime and 15 min. before the skies opened up. Concert cancelled. We scurried to shelter. Had Beer and Ice Cream til it cleared. They were back on the road again. I sit here on my low battery laptop in my car in my garage as power is still out in the area. Sue Ellen, please let me know you guys had a safe arrival home and again, what a pleasure.
paddy

Return to “Say Something”