covering ellis paul material to spread the word

Discuss ways to get the word out!
john1977

covering ellis paul material to spread the word

Postby john1977 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 am

hey gang,

for those of us who are performing songwriters, i think a good way to spread the word about ellis paul's music is to take on the task of covering some of his songs. i'm not a very good guitar player but have been able to come up with some easy arrangements of some of my favorite ellis tunes. i play "washington d.c. 5/91" pretty regularly at open mic nights and from now on i'll make sure to mention the essentials album and the fact that ellis is my favorite songwriter when performing his songs.

just another idea to help spread the word...

john

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 pm

John,

Great idea, and I think I mentioned something similar in a thread about getting some of his music out in PDF or pther format for performers.

I don't yet have a single Ellis song in my repertoire, which is very sad. I need to tab out a few songs and get them in my rotation. Not that I play many times or places publicly where I would use them, but there would be a few opportunities. And getting them to some of my other guitar playing friends, especially those who play more venues than I do.....

We need to figure out how to get some of Ellis's songs more accessible to the performing guitar playing community.... assuming Ellis wants some of us covering his songs.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm

If either of you guys need a back-up singer, I'm available. ;) I got the Patty Griffin parts down pat....and have made up lots of my own good harmony parts too. I'm particularly strong on "Minor Key" if you want to start there....

And Jeff, you've heard my "Blacktop Train" ooh-oohs! 8)

Poor Ellis.....he probably never suspected the "spread the news" ideas would head south this quickly! OK....I'm cracking myself up so badly that I can't type!!!! :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:45 pm

I actually do have "Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key" in my playbook already..... we'll have to work on it next time I see you.
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:07 pm

I don't know if this will fly ........but here it is:

Lately, for some strange reason, I've been imagining Sir Elton John getting permission from Ellis to record "Home" and it's a big hit.

Does that work for any of yous guys?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Spread the News”