Kim Taylor

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Kim Taylor

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Folks,

Just want to reiterate what I said about Kim Taylor in the "Club Passim - Oct. 28, 2006" thread. Kim opened the two shows for Ellis that night and I have now officially reached MPS (mental patient status) on her CD. My two favorite tracks are "95 things" and "baby I need you"...but they're all stand-outs.

Jeff, I know you bought her CD that night. Have you given it a listen yet?

To repeat, you can listen to a few of Kim's songs ("glove" and "my dress is hung" are really good) on her MySpace at:

Kim Taylor on MySpace

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Seems Bruce Warren, Program Director of local radio station WXPN in Philadelphia, says Kim Taylor's new CD is one of the best of 2006 in the genre......and she plays the station's venue World Cafe Live on Nov.7 th.

My interest is starting to peak.

The comparisons I've seen made are of Fiona Apple and Beth Orton.

Not bad company.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:58 am

Here's a few words of high praise...from Bruce Warren :

Singer-songwriter Kim Taylor has a beautiful new album out called I Feel Like A Fading Light that puts many singer-songwriters to shame. A native of Florida, Taylor has been living in Cincinatti since the late 90's with her family.

Taylor's new album was recorded with Jimi Zhivago, formerly of Ollabelle and features Mars Volta drummer Blake Fleming

From Cincinatti City Beat dot com:
"Zhivago and Taylor capture the songs' organic atmospherics and candle-flicker ambiance to perfection, never piling on too much extraneous ornamentation in favor of allowing the songs to hover on their own inherent power. For Fading Light, it's her gauzy singing that is the most immediately grabbing element, her voice floating in the same hemisphere as smoky, emotive song merchants like Fiona Apple or Beth Orton, but with the liquidity and phrasing of a classic, creative Jazz chanteuse like Billie Holiday. Fading Light is intoxicating, narcotic Pop with depth and soul, darkly effervescent and as bewitching as any record you'll hear this year. Visceral, timeless and seductive, it's the kind of album you can get lost in, never caring if you ever find your way back out."

Nice...
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:16 am

Paddy,

I agree with everything except the Fiona Apple/Beth Orton comparisons....since I am not fans of either of those two....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 am

Karen,

I like the comparison to Billie Holiday...and after reading the piece again realize that it's not so much a comparison to Fiona and Beth, just that her vocals float up in the same hemisphere of smoky and emotive song merchants like those two.

It works for me on the Beth Orton level, we like her music plenty, and can take or leave Fiona Apple...depending on the song and mood we're in. :)

At first I thought all these words about Kim Taylor were from Bruce Warren, now I see he included a review from elsewhere.

At any rate.......I'm hoping to hear more real soon. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:08 pm

This is for folks in the Philly area in the way of a show coming up at World Cafe live on Tuesday--November 7th.

It's funny...as a fan of the music of North Carolinan Thad Cockrell--I had just this week been wondering if I'll ever have the chance to see him play live--the note to self was check his website for tour dates--never did.

I went to wxpn radio website to look for Kim Taylor's concert info-- lo and behold one of the many artists on stage with her that night is Thad. :D

November 07 An Evening with David Mead, Matthew Ryan, Michel Malone and Thad Cockrell with Kim Taylor World Cafe Live

Happy camper here...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:58 pm

OK.....so I've been listening to Kim Taylor alot since seeing her open for Ellis at Passim on Oct. 28.....then a couple days ago (and again last night) I saw this "A Diamond is Forever" commercial on TV and I'm thinking "That's Kim Taylor's voice on the commercial!" And 'lo and behold I found the commerical on YouTube! When I did some research there's at least 5 different guesses on who's singing.....but I swear it's Kim Taylor....and supposedly it's a cover of a Cat Stevens song....

"A Diamond is Forever" commercial on YouTube

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”