they grow up so fast

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

they grow up so fast

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:29 am

The day our son was born, one of the docs tried to let me in on a little secret that only parents with experience really know. My son was newly born and all of 30 min. old.

It was with the following words that he tried to advise me:

''take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast''

I nodded in mock agreement, not knowing at all what he was trying to tell me. I think it sinks in more and more everyday. Michael is only 7 and a half. He's attending a youth golf camp in the area. He is a year or two younger than most of the other kids. He's an only child and just loves the instant camraderie that school and such camps brings. He's makes friends easily and often. He is uniquely observant.

Today, as we are set to leave for only the third day of camp, he says:

''dad, all the other kids have water bottles, all I have are these STUPID juice boxes''. :cry:

Share your stories if you will, and remember:

they grow up so fast
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:40 am

At my birthday party I opened a George Forman grill. My almost 9 year old godson Curtis explained to me.......

"We didn't get you a big one because you are alone all the time"

:D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:11 pm

''kids say the darndest things'' :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:34 pm

Oh Bonnie ! That's made me laugh out loud - they say the funniest things don't they?

We had two groups of friends round for lunch, three children between them - as as starter I made a platter of smoked salmon, quails eggs, baby new potatoes tossed in dill and garnished with dill sprigs

Elliot, 5 years old ....'Mummy why has Auntie Jela put grass on the food?'

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:23 am

My soon to be second grader son has a small fascination with sharks... and apparently a lil more. He asked his mom the other day:

Do Sharks have sex? :shock:

She asked him what he meant by that. To which he said:

Ya know, do sharks find other sharks sexy or hot? :D

That's my boy! 8)
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:24 am

:lol:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:01 am

Paddy - why am I not surprised that this came from your son?!
:lol:
Too cute.
~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:23 am

Talk about the sharks they used to know.............. 8) :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 am

My son Michael, age 7, was curious about something last night. He sees his DAD bouncing back and forth between two fan forums all the time.

Hey Dad, do Bill Deasy and Ellis Paul belong to the same club?

Whatdya mean?

Ya know, all this talkin on the computer about Bill and Ellis. Are they in the same club?

Oh, ya mean the same discussion group. Well, no, not exactly the same club. But it'se very similar, cause their fans like to discuss how much they like their music.

To which he replied:

They're not very popular artistses [ AR-TIS-IS ] are they?

Well, Michael, I guess you're right, but they are popular among people who know their music.

Yea, he said, but they're not really popular, ya know, like PINK. :oops:

Where have I gone wrong? :lol:

The opening montage of the World Series game last night was a musical thing with a few rappers led by Eminem. It went on for about a minute. The entire time it was on he was dancing around like it was the some of the best music on the planet......YIKES. :roll:

Again, where did I go wrong? :wink:
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 pm

Not to worry Paddy, my boy likes Eminem too....or at least he used to. These days he's into Ellis, Antje. CW, Richard Schindell, Ben Harper.....

Speaking of my boy, here is one of my favorite stories from when he was about 5 or 6.

His fish had died and we buried the fish in one of our flower boxes. One morning, we were sitting on the front step waiting for the school bus and my son said to me, "Mommy, when my fish was here on earth, he had a body and a life. Now that he's died, his body is still here on earth, but his life went up to heaven and now he is an angel fish."

He's 16 now and I remember that moment as if it were yesterday.

Way too fast.

Shari

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Yea, he said, but they're not really popular, ya know, like PINK.

Go you your room son... go to your room.

Haha, I'm just kidding. Seriously, kids just can't distinguish bland unoriginal top 40 stuff from quality, thought-provoking music (a lot of adults can't either for that matter). I was playing Ellis' Live CD for my uncle and you would have thought it was a recording of fingernails scratching a chalk board by the reaction his daughter was having (I think she was 11 or 12 at the time). I cracked up when her dad politely told her, "Kailey, you're a kid, you have no idea what good music is." Hah! It was a miracle I was able to refrain from insulting Good Charlotte and 50 Cent or whatever it is she listens to.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:12 am

I'll set the scene:

It's spring break...no school all week. We'd promised a sleepover for the one boy unable to attend the big sleepover this past January for my son's 8th Birthday. Last nite we had the long awaited sleepover. They easily burned midnight oil, determined to make the most of the situation. I wanna say the official "bedtime" was pushing 1:30 am. :shock: The trip to the local candy shop earlier in the evening likely contributed to their inability to get sleepy at a reasonable hour. I knew they'd sleep in this morning, and they awoke only a short while ago. As I sit here in the kitchen enjoying morning coffee, I hear my son say to his friend these words:

"you passed out before me"

They grow up way too fast!!! :shock:

...and, in closing.....THAT'S MY BOY!!! :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:14 am

At bedtime last night, as the three of us ascend the stairs from the basement to the first floor, these exchanges took place:

Mom: Ouch.....I think my hip is out of joint.

Dad: Ouch.....I think my knee is out of joint.

Son: I Feel Fine!!!

We had to laugh...at ourselves mostly, and at his innocence. :lol:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:05 pm

In a group of adults last night Curtis was the only wee one. People were complaining about going to coffee shops and not getting their "non fat soy half cafe carmel latte" as ordered. He pipes up, "This one time I went to Wendy's and ordered a regular meal. I got a kids meal. :shock: " :lol:

paddyinthepub

Re: they grow up so fast

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 pm

I love coffee, no brag, just fact! Make it several times a day. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. No shame, just fact. I make a pretty strong cup, it's the way I roll. It ususally goes pretty well. There's no measuring for me, it's all by eye and feel. No zen practices in effect. In fact, I will often see how fast I can go from zero to coffee brewing. I amaze myself sometimes. I'd love to have it on video to view. It's probably close to high comedy. Once in a while, maybe a handful of times in my long history of brewing coffee, I have forgotten one important step. The carafe. It's an integral part of the equation. With no carafe in place I return ready for a nice fresh cup of joe only to find coffee pooling on the counter.

It's happened maybe 5x ever. It happened earlier today. Not the morning brew. Not the mid morning brew. No, this one was after lunch. All ready for another cup and uhhhhh, the blasted carafe at the sink from the earlier rinse instead of it's rightful place under the cone shaped plastic where the freshly brewed coffee is dripping. Onto the circular carafe holder/hot plate of the coffee machine. And all over the counter. Not to go all side track here but Antje's amazing new release The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer has Antje singing the very last song on the disc in her native German. It's a gorgeous song, almost lullabye in softness and beauty. I don't speak or read or hear German, but I swear, in one part of the song, I hear Antje sing Coffee Machine. 8)

So the coffee has pooled around the coffee machine, and I commence to cleaning. I grab cloth kitchen towels (staying green here, paper towels would have been easier) and get to work. It takes two of the towels to get the counter back to it's dry counter looking self. I rinse the coffee out of the towels then soak them in the sink to help loose the coffee color from them. I commence getting back to the business at hand. In no time at all, I'm enjoying another cup of Starbucks Gold Coast coffee. Enough said. Almost.

Left the towels soaking in sudsy water all afternoon.

Fast forward to starting laundry upstairs, shortly after my son arrives home from school. I ask him to gather hand towels from the downstairs bathroom and kitchen. He tosses 2 up from the powder room. He says that's it, except for 2 in the sink that are all wet. Ahhh, I say, remembering. Okay, I'll get those. I make my way to the kitchen and upon entering have his full attention. Rare these days. He's 10 now. I explain why the towels are all wet. I told him the 'funny thing happened on the way to coffee ' story.

He acted non-plussed. He stepped out of the room for what amounted to 15 seconds. When he returned he said to me......"hey dad, you made counterfit coffee" -- "get it, you made counter fit coffee"

kids say the darnedest things!
that's why i'm here!
that's my boy!

:wink:
paddy

Return to “Say Something”