Today (Oct. 25) in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Oct. 25) in EP Music History Trivia - win a prize!

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 am

"If you could paint her, she'd be a Picasso.
She's got a few things out of place.
Like when she smiles, it's slightly out of line.
It's half awkward, yet half grace." -- Ellis Paul

Pablo Picasso was born 125 years ago today on Oct. 25, 1881.

To win a copy of the Kerrville Folk Festival 1995 Highlights CD that includes Ellis Paul performing "Paperback Man" (he won Kerrville's prestigious New Folk Award that year), simply be the first person to reply to this post with the title of the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above.

Good luck! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:45 am

oooh....I know this one......and what a prize this CD is today. While these Kerrville compilations have always impressed me and garnered my interest and dollars, I can honestly say that I simply had to have this one when I saw Ellis Paul on the track listing. I had not heard Paperback Man before hearing the live version captured from the stage at Kerrville, so it was a major feather in my "find all things Ellis Paul" cap.

Great song. Great prize.

Good luck everybody.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm

"Here She Is"

Barbara

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Yay! We have a winner! Congratulations Barbara! Please PM with with your snail mail address and I'll pop your prize into the mail. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Thank you, Karen! :D

I am so excited and very surprised. The rest of you are all so knowledgeable and quick at this trivia. I didn't think I would ever come up with an answer.

I must admit that I had two little Ellis Paul fans looking over my shoulder and helping me with the answer.

I had never even heard of the Kerrville CD or the "Paperback Man"song. We are all really excited to hear it.

Barbara

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Way to go Barbara and company. Congratulations all around. You are in for a treat with Paperback Man. I don't remember who else is on 1995's Cd from the Kerrville Festival at the moment, but it's usually a real treat.

Enjoy!!! :D
paddy

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:15 pm

Thanks Paddy.

We are really looking forward to hearing it.

Barbara

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 pm

Here She Is

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:10 pm

Oops! Should have read the posts before replying.
Congrats!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Hey guys...if it was up to me, and I had a few copies of Kerrville 1995 to pass out as prizes...I'd be sending you one. I really like your method. Throw your answer out there without looking to see if anyone else has won. Hec....it was a good call actually. Last week, during the giveaway of the new Essentials CD...often the trivia answers came in seconds apart, crowning one forum member a winner and the other a close second.

So I give you two a definite A for effort...and close by saying:

Michael&Cathy......Welcome Aboard :!:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:35 am

Folks,

FYI, here's a link to the Kerrville Highlights CD on Amazon. Lots of great stuff on it. Just listened to the snippet of the Cheryl Wheeler track - OMG. And I swear "Paperback Man" was the first EP song that caused me to exhibit OCD tendencies. Having just listened to the snippet at the link below, it could easily happen again.....

Kerrville Folk Festival 1995 Highlights

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 am

Karen, OMG....U R right!!!.Not sure if I'm OCD again on this song or as IllinoisBill put it starting to reach MPS ..... :D At any rate this lil 20 second tease of Paperback Man plays over and over here on it's own and it sounds SO good!!! I'd forgotten just how much I liked this song.

Stellar lineup thruout the disc from 1995....I'd forgotten that too!!!

Thanks for the link to the trip down Memory Lane this morning. :)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks for the welcome, Paddy. I don't think Michael & I are exactly shy, just slow starters. :)

Never really looked at the trivia section before, and in reading back, WOW, there's some really obscure stuff here!! And I thought WE were huge fans! Actually, just so you know a little bit about us, we first saw Ellis at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa (Buddy Holly's last venue), then at Ginkgo's in St. Paul. Then Ellis provided the entertainment at our wedding reception on the La Crosse Queen last June. And, of course, we saw him again last Friday night at the Pump House. Anyway, can't even imagine being able to see him as much as you all have, but we do as often as we can.

Enuf for now. Thanks again for the welcome and we'll be hanging about.

Cathy(& Michael, too!)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Cathy...and Michael too.....Best Wishes to the newlyweds....now that I know. I kind of remember some hint out here somewhere that Ellis was playing someone's wedding reception. Maybe it was a comment or two left out on the front page where Ellis's blogs allow folks to add comments.

That's great...WOW.....folks always wondering what kind of band to hire for their Big Day.....and you guys got Ellis Paul. I remember reading that and thinking....How Cool Is That..... 8)

While never one to crash a party, or wedding - tho Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson made it look like so much fun - I'm wondering if you guys would be up to sharing with us some time what that was like.

If you want to keep it private....I/We totally understand.

Thanks for chiming in, again...and if ya find the time and feel up to it - the Get To Know You Survey awaits all newcomers to the board.

Lastly, do you know Robert Wilson, he's from Eau Claire, Wisconsin?

I could not resist........ :D
paddy

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 am

Karen:

We received the CD in the mail on Saturday. Thank you so much! I had trouble getting it up the driveway! Everyone wanted to open it right away.

For some reason, my computer wouldn't allow me to listen to the link you posted. I had to wait until the CD arrived to hear "Paperback Man".

We love "Paperback Man". I can't tell you how many times I have listened to it. I invited another Ellis Paul fan over to listen and heard "OH!!! I have been wanting to hear the rest of that song".
This was special since this person introduced us to Ellis' music and started the whole thing rolling.
We're also enjoying the rest of the CD, as well.

This makes me wonder what other CDs are out there with snippets of Ellis Paul....mmmm...I bet all of you know!

Thanks again!
Barbara

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 am

Barbara,

The Timeline on my Ellis Paul Archives web site (linked below) lists all the CD compilations and CD guest appearances that Ellis has appeared on. I believe the number of compilation CDs is ~51 and the number of CD guest appearances is probably close to that number.

Ellis Paul Timeline

You can also find this information in the Discography Word document (.doc) on Ellis' web site, linked below.

For the Press

KarenZ

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks, Karen :)

Your archives website is wonderful!

There's so much music to listen to...looking forward to all of it.

Barbara

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”