Questions regarding book club, etc. discussions

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Questions regarding book club, etc. discussions

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:15 am

Folks,

Our ever-creative leader has suggested that in addition to discussing books, it might be fun and interesting to discuss movies also based on his recommendations. Ellis would put up a list of recommended movies and we'd have a vote like we did for the Book Club discussion then specify a length of time to view the movie.

Accordingly, I have 3 questions for you. (I'd put up a poll, but unfortunately a poll can only contain one question.) :(

Question #1:
Are you interested in discussing movies based on Ellis recommendations?

Question #2:
If you answered "yes" to the above, would you prefer the movie discussion(s) to alternate with the book discussion(s) or run concurrently? Or does it not matter to you?

Question #3:
I'd like to make a separate Forum for our discussions to make them easier to locate. Do you think a separate forum is a good idea? (I would move the Into the Wild thread into the new forum.)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:47 am

Q#1. Sure, it would be fun to discuss movies Ellis recommends.

Q#2. Please do it concurrently. Some of us don't watch movies (or at least not many of them) and some don't read books (ditto), so that way more people could participate.

Q#3. Yes, definitely a good idea to have a seperate forum for book/movie discussions. That way they and other conversations won't get lost or confused.

Thanks Karen!!
-wendy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Karen - books now films! Well this is really taking the Board into new territory - great idea!

My responses are exactly as Wendy's to all 3 questions.

Perhaps someone will volunteer to lead the Film Group so that it doesn't all fall in your lap as you do so much for the Board as it is.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Jela,

I was not planning to lead any movie discussions. :) Which actually brings me to something I've been wondering about. Will we have different individuals leading each discussion (whether it be books or movies) or one person leading each series? I guess what I'm asking is if YOU plan to lead each book discussion...or should we have a different "leader" for each one. Am I right in assuming in a "regular" book club that people take turns leading?

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Karen, I think that it would be a really nice idea to share out the leading of discussions about books and films, so that way, everyone who wants to take the lead, gets a chance to do so.

I also think that by sharing it out, people will more readily volunteer to lead the discussion. By sharing, no one will feel that they have over-committed themselves because they are not having to lead every time.

I guess that with the more traditional Book Groups, it can work either way - the one I attend is always led by the same person but other Book Groups may take turns. Whatever works best for the particular group is the right way to proceed.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Jela,

I didn't want you to think you had made a long-term commitment if that wasn't your intent! :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 am

Karen wrote:Question #1:
Are you interested in discussing movies based on Ellis recommendations?

Question #2:
If you answered "yes" to the above, would you prefer the movie discussion(s) to alternate with the book discussion(s) or run concurrently? Or does it not matter to you?

Question #3:
I'd like to make a separate Forum for our discussions to make them easier to locate. Do you think a separate forum is a good idea? (I would move the Into the Wild thread into the new forum.)

For me:

#1: Love seeing and talking about movies.

#2: Like the idea of alternating, but will try to participate regardless

#3: Separate Forum

Jela wrote:Karen, I think that it would be a really nice idea to share out the leading of discussions about books and films, so that way, everyone who wants to take the lead, gets a chance to do so.

And then the same person doesn't have to provide the wine each time. :wink:
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:27 am

Karen, you are so thoughtful. I'm happy to commit for such a good cause (!!!) but pleased that others might want to take up the baton.

It'll be fun rotating because that way we get the diversity which is so important in these types of discussions.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Hey all,

Anybody else have any thoughts and/or comments about having a Movie Club? :) (I guess if a Book Club is to discuss books, then a Movie Club is for discussing movies.) ;)

Speak up! Don't be shy! Try to tear yourself away from listening to Ellis Paul Essentials long enough to chime in here! 8)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Hey, if this post actuallygets through I'll be amazed!! for some reason after I sign in and try to submit, it sends me back to the sign in box...over and over again....ANYWAY...I read all the post and many times want to comment but just can't.... so here it goes.

I like book clubs and assume I would like a movie discussion too. I happen to have the book and movie of To Kill A Mockingbird right now. I've tried to read it a few times, and just don;t get through it. Someone told me try the movie first for this one, then the book will be more enjoyable.... SO I guess I would vote for this book or movie next, since it is on EP list as well. SPeaking of movies I did go to see The Departed last night... I'm not much of a filthy language bloody movie type of girl, but.. I was interested in the Boston Police side of this story. If you can get past the blood and language it's a pretty good movie.

Well here I go to submit....fingers are crossed!!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:48 pm

I would be open to a movie discussion group. I'm not sure I remember seeing Ellis recommending movies, so how would that work? How would we choose the movie to discuss. Perhaps around Oscar time we could hold a poll on the nominees and discuss one of those.

I saw the movie House of Sand and Fog earlier this year on DVD. I'm now reading this book and enjoying it alot. My wife did not see the movie and said she cannot get past the first few pages. She's not able to get the jist at all. She finds it all too boring.

I wonder if there's something to the movie first...book second thing. I'm always hearing " the book was better than the movie" comments when someone sees a movie made from a popular book they have read.

So that may be another good discussion to have down the road. The combo discussion of book and movie and the reasons we might prefer one over the other.

For now .......movies sound good.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Paddy,

Ellis' movie recommendations is in the works. When he gets some listed, we can have a vote like we did for the book. Not sure when it will be....but it's on the horizon. :)

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”