James Blunt (aka the British Ellis)

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

James Blunt (aka the British Ellis)

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:37 pm

Folks,

Goodness, we have been remiss. No James Blunt thread since the new board got launched - and it's been 3 months! :shock:

Let's see...we probably need to recap. No, it is NOT Ellis Paul's voice in the Hilton Hotel TV commercial. No, it is NOT Ellis Paul's voice on the radio, in restaurants, department stores and numerous other places singing "You're Beautiful". That would be James Blunt. :) However, Ellis Paul does have the walk of a British thug. ;)

Anyway....I digress. The reason for this thread is to make my big announcement. James Blunt and I are friends. He's always inviting me places and wanting to give me free stuff. T-shirts. Tickets to shows. Trips. Then I found out he was a two-timer. Actually more than a two-timer. He sent invitations to his other 207,000 MySpace friends as well. Dirty rat. :cry:

But....I'm a pushover....so I'm going to see him on October 5 in Pittsburgh! I figure if he's gonna be a 1-hit wonder, I better go while I have the chance. ;)

Ellis Paul has staying power.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:54 am

Too funny Karen...... Please give us a good report on the show.

And I still don't hear the similarity......
Jeff

Becky

Postby Becky » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Karen, you lucky dawg! I want to hear all about it. You know, though, as much as I loved JB's cd...I listened to it constantly when I first got it (I even stayed up really late one evening for the re-airing of him on Oprah. Unfortunately, that evening there were storms in the area and his segment on the show was constantly being interrupted for weather updates...it was so irritating...especially since the t-storms weren't even close to where I was.) Anyway, I haven't listened to that cd in quite a while now. You're right...Ellis is the one with staying power.

Regardless, please give us all the details...I want to know everything!

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:47 pm

The Bad News: James Blunt's Pittsburgh show was cancelled. :x and :cry:

The Good News: I'll be able to see Mark Erelli open for Chris Smither instead. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Karen, that's quite the trade, I'd say. I once came THIS close to seeing a special show by Emmylou Harris. She had just released a wonderful concept album {The Ballad of Sally Rose} and was set to play the whole thing in it's entirety. Bad storms, Houston is known for them, forced her to cancel the evening. So, I've been there, sort of.

One fine Tuesday afternoon this summer, I was setting up lawn chairs for the outdoor concert at Eagleview. The guys settng up all the gear were playing GREAT MUSIC through the pa system. I was stumped as to who the artist coming thru those speakers could be. AHA - got to find out, for this will truly be a discovery of monumental proportions - it sounded that good. Song after Song, just great stuff, and me curious as get out.

Finally ask the sound crew guys - WHO - IS - THAT ? When they told me it was Chris Smither I was floored. Wait - just - a - minute.....I know the music of Chris Smither.......that's Chris Smither??? Yep they replied - his new one. It was hard to believe, hec, I own one of his earlier CDs. This is something else though. Gotta get his new one for sure was all I kept thinking.

Enjoy the show........I'm sure James still thinks - "you're beautiful"

I know we all do!!!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:41 am

Karen - you've got by far the best deal! Mark Erelli and Chris Smither beat the socks off James Blunt - do post a report of the show.

And by the way in the news this morning it was announced that James Blunt's song 'Goodbye my Lover' was the most requested song this last year to be played at funerals - I'll say no more!

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 am

For his fans, and only because it showed up on my Yahoo list of music related stories this morning.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061003/en_nm/blunt_dc_1

Enjoy !
Jeff

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:21 pm

I'm sorry, I bought Blunts CD (before it got so popular) and while I thought it was pretty good at the time, I quickly grew tired of it. He's got a good voice, though I never mistook it for EP's. I agree that James Blunt seems more like a one hit wonder.. or maybe a two or three hit wonder. :?
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:12 pm

A search for Blunt on Tivo reveals he's scheduled to perform on TV this week on one of the popular network morning shows.

For some reason, I just don't care.

I mean, At one time, I was just gaga over him and the new CD and would try to catch him on all tv appearances, lord knows there were enough of them in the early days of his skyrocket to superstardom.

Guess it just goes to show something about staying power.......and over saturation of the marketplace. I dunno, I'm just over it for now.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Folks,

Meant to post this 2 days ago when the Grammy Nominees were announced. James Blunt has been nominated for 5 Grammy Awards included Song of the Year and Record of the year for "You're Beautiful". :) I'll bet we get to see him perform it (with his clothes ON) at the awards ceremony. ;)

Dylan and Springsteen also received nominations.

See the full list of nominees here:

49th Grammy Award Nominees

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:46 pm

I was excited to see among the list of nominees some of my favorite artists. in the running for Best Rock Album ( Tom Petty's Highway Companion and Neil Young's Living With War) and Best Rock Solo Vocal Performance nominees Bob Dylan ("Someday Baby"), Tom Petty ("Saving Grace") and Neil Young ("Lookin' For A Leader").

I have the Petty and Dylan CD's and keep snatching my brother's copy of the Neil Young. He's the one who introduced me to Petty and Neil Young at a very early age... along with many other wonderful artists. But you can blame my sister Bonnie for my penchant for Dylan. 8)
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm not trying to belabor this point, but I felt like sharing this. I recently had the opportunity, via Tivo, to view a full length concert by James Blunt.

I was excited to see how the songs from Back to Bedlam sounded in a true concert setting. The place was arena sized and packed with crazed fans. I thought to myself, this is gonna rock!!!

It was a major disappointment for me. To watch this talented songsmith do his best to connect with his audience was painful. He often has an expression on his face similar to a deer caught in a car's headlights. :shock:

A real gap existed between performer and audience. I kept fast forwarding thru the concert looking for it to get good. He played song after song from the album, all songs I liked on CD. The band was tight alright, a little too methodical maybe. There was no real attempt to have fun with the music, which by now I'm sure even they are tired of playing. Oh, and not one new song to show that he's moving on from those songs and bringing his fans songs they'll enjoy as much as the hits they were familiar with.

It's a shame.......I really liked Back to Bedlam. I have lost interest. :?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:45 pm

I still like him - alot. :) He'll be performing at the Grammy's two nights from now (Feb. 11)...but in the meantime, you all have GOT to watch this video of him performing "Goodbye My Lover" live and on piano. There is so much feeling and passion in his performance...and I love this song. The two piano-driven songs on Back to Bedlam are my favorites - the other song being "No bravery".

James Blunt performing "goodbye my lover"

James has five Grammy nominations: Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "You're Beautiful," Best Pop Vocal Album for Back to Bedlam, and Best New Artist.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:37 pm

Happy Birthday, JB!

He's older than he looks. :)

James Blunt bio

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Folks,

James Blunt's follow-up release to Back to Bedlam, All the Lost Souls, is being released Sept. 18. You can listen to part of the song "1973" from the new release on his MySpace, linked below.

James Blunt on MySpace

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Folks,

James Blunt's new CD All the Lost Souls is being released tomorrow - Sept. 18. You can watch an acoustic version video of "I really want you" from the new CD on Amazon at the link below:

Video of "I really want you"

I still really like him. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Love the Album Cover for the new record and the price it's being offered for at Amazon.com -- Kinda like the song -- it's a little "fast" in places where he speeds up the song with a bunch of lyrics in short time -- very BEE GEES like and then I hear strains of Cat Stevens in the song as it slows and regains a powerful stance. He's in good company with both those artists.... :wink:

Look forward to the full studio version of "I Really Want You."

And the album.... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:07 pm

Nice writeup and interview with James Blunt:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20873128/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Karen,

for all you do...
this one's for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Cd5LwV6eg&NR=1

:D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Gee thanks, Paddy. :) I'm swooning. Scruffy is looking good to me. ;)

James has got it. Whatever "it" is. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:00 pm

I was thinking of shaving today....that was until I saw "Scruffy."

:lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:40 am

Hey all....

James Blunt has a one hour concert soon to be aired on tv.

Control Room Presents....James Blunt perfroms at KOKO in London.
Channel 9 in Philly...WPHL
October 15 at 9pm

Course it may be different in other regions...but that's a start.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Karen...took James Blunt's new CD out for a spin y'day.

Love it!!!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Karen...here's a video of 1973 live in studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIzNxDL_fCw&NR=1

JB's voice reminds me of another of your faves.... :wink:

...and it's not EP's.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Paddy,

Awesome video. Thanks. Ummm.....I can't think which other of my faves he sounds like......cause when I'm watching JB my brain is pretty much useless to process anything else. ;)
KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Karen.....hang on!!! The answer and a bonus photo are coming!!! :D

bonus photo:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/music/artists/JamesBluntMainPubAndrewZaeh.jpg
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Here's the reveal.....as found in an editorial review on Amazon.com:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
In 2005, James Blunt was everybody's favorite overnight success story. In 2007, he's the guy who's making rock meaningful again. All the Lost Souls,, the sophomore effort from the Brit responsible for restoring the seriousness of "beautiful" as a compliment, brims with big build-ups, epic-sounding ballads, and lyrics to lose yourself in. The vibe, laid out neatly on first single and opening track "1973," is clear-eyed and heavy-hearted; in anybody over 35, it'll produce nostalgia tempered by hopefulness--here's a set that suggests rock has got its head screwed on straight again, that the path to real feelings need not necessarily be led by Norah Jones. In anybody younger, it'll cause the unsinkable suspicion that a lot of modern balladeers should be digging deeper. But in both cases it will satisfy. Compared with David Gray and Damien Rice last time out, this time Blunt seems to owe a debt to Barry Gibb--his voice quavers as sweetly and with the same delicate reach. Stand-outs on a brief but dud-less set include "I Really Want You," in which the sound of Blunt's breaking heart is set sparely and elegantly to something approximating the chirp of a cricket, the poignant and desperate "Give Me Some Love", and the VH-1 ready "Same Mistakes." -Tammy La Gorce

Product Description
Blunt's sophomore album, All The Lost Souls, displays a huge musical growth from his smash hit debut, Back To Bedlam. These new, more mature songs, recall the sounds of Elton John, Cat Stevens, and Neil Young. In addition to being an excellent album, All The Lost Souls is packed with singles.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Great photo. (Where's the icon for drooling?) :oops:

Gosh, according to the review he sounds like alot of people. Who's my other fave? I don't care for Damien Rice at all. David Gray is OK. Barrry Gibb is a thumbs up. As is Neil Young. :)

BTW....my favorite song on All the lost souls is "same mistake". Repeat all. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Karen.....small world.....spoke to my wife via email a few minutes ago and her favorite from the new record (debuted on her ride to work this morning) is track #4 which turns out to be your fave too...same mistake. :D

Sorry...I thought Barry Gibb was the obvious choice.....that's who I think he sounds most like...although I was thinking BeeGees in general rather than one in particular.

Here's what international stardom gets ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9Jos4GjSs
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 am

If you're up early and able to watch ABC's Good Morning America....

You're in luck!!!

James Blunt performs....... :D

"Get your tivos runnin....head out on the highway!!!"
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:57 am

Short and sweet...and just a little sad.

Spot on and the band nattily attired in suits. For some reason I missed this song on the new record.

What really amazed me was how James answered a question posed by the GMA interviewer. He touched upon James' military career and asked what James thought about Prince Harry serving in Iraq. James said he was just doing his duty, as he should. But it was the way James then pointed out how folks seem to focus on celebrity and the lighter stuff and tend to forget there's a few wars going on around the world. Bravo, JB.

Carry You Home

Trouble is her only friend and he’s back again.
Makes her body older than it really is.
She says it’s high time she went away,
No one’s got much to say in this town.
Trouble is the only way is down.
Down, down.
As strong as you were, tender you go.
I’m watching you breathing for the last time.
A song for your heart, but when it is quiet,
I know what it means and I’ll carry you home.
I’ll carry you home.
If she had wings she would fly away,
And another day God will give her some.
Trouble is the only way is down.
Down, down.
I’ll carry you home.
And they were all born pretty in New York City tonight,
And someone’s little girl was taken from the world tonight,
Under the Stars and Stripes.
I’ll carry you home.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:48 am

Folks,

James Blunt will perform "Carry You Home" on Dancing with the Stars, tomorrow, Tuesday, April 15 at 9pm EST. It's not a program I would typically watch, but I may have to tomorrow. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:45 am

Oddly enough this show was on last night when I walked in the room. Odd, because we don't normally watch. I said...."oh good, James Blunt is on the show tonight." My wife looked at me like I was nuts. Well, I got the days mixed up, and they announced that James Blunt would be on tomorrow night.

Which, of course, has me bumpin this up.

It's tonight!!! 8)
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”