Happy Birthday Stories! (Sept. 19)

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Happy Birthday Stories! (Sept. 19)

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:41 am

Another birthday! Yes, it was on this date in 1995 that Ellis Paul's Stories was released. My first Ellis Paul CD! :) Like any first love, it holds a very special place in my heart. If you put a gun to my head and asked me what my favorite Ellis Paul CD is, I probably would answer Stories for that very reason. ;)

Since this worked so well a few days ago, let's do it again. :) Below are the opening lines from each of the eleven tracks on Stories. Let's see if we can identify each song from the opening line. Also....feel free to say a sentence or two about the song title and/or CD. It was fun/interesting to read some of the comments made about the Translucent Soul songs the other day! :)

Again....let's each take only one to allow more folks to participate. :)

1. Preacher won't you preach to me
2. Picture my face at your kitchen table
3. She is searching for some form of salvation
4. I'm a pistol, a forty-five, I just shot two men in this hot-house dive
5. You said, "Don't wait up, don't count the minutes."
6. While Hollywood sleeps, A young man is dying
7. My name is Robert Wilson, I'm from Eau Claire, Wisconsin
8. I can count all the lights in the city from the ledge on the 27th floor
9. This time let's not bring up my disasters
10. Do not mention his name
11. If you could paint her, she'd be a Picasso

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:38 am

4. "I'm a pistol, a forty-five, I just shot two men in this hot-house dive" is Autobiography of a Pistol.

This is such a great commentary about the use of guns in America, and how destructive they are. I love that it is written from the perspective of the pistol and comments on the violence of people, without coming at it directly.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

shari

Postby shari » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 am

5. You said, "Don't wait up, don't count the minutes." - Last Call

I love this song. The line about lay my head in the arms of this sofa reallys gets me, it paints the whole picture...

Shari
Last edited by shari on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:49 am

6. While Hollywood sleeps, A young man is dying is the opening of River.

I really didn't care much for that song during my first listen, but is has grown on me over the years. A very poignant song. If you haven't seen the YouTube video whihc uses this song, (and I apologize for not having the link), highly recommended.
Jeff

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:50 am

Sue Ellen wrote:4. "I'm a pistol, a forty-five, I just shot two men in this hot-house dive" is Autobiography of a Pistol.

This is such a great commentary about the use of guns in America, and how destructive they are. I love that it is written from the perspective of the pistol and comments on the violence of people, without coming at it directly.

Sue Ellen

I adore the line "Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets that do....."
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:06 am

Preacher won't you preach to me....... is....... Last at the Table

Also my first, and therefore, my favorite. I like the follow up line to the opener....I need a pint of philosophy, I'm hurt and thirsty, set me on my way.

I think the point was it's gonna take strong advice and/or liquor.
Also another song where Ellis is wailing on harmonica.

These were all indeed great........stories. The Album cover of Ellis in Alleyway of Boston, I presume, also allowed me to picture Ellis and friends doing the latenight "busking" I had been reading about.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:44 am

I can count all the lights in the city from the ledge on the 27th floor

King of 7th Avenue... How Ellis can put feelings from observations into words and music just amazes me. I had this CD, listened to it for years before I actually liked this song. Now I think it is one of his best.

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:21 am

2. Picture my face at you kitchen table

is from Don't Breath, perhaps the single most breath-taking (pardon the pun) song of the group. Such a poignant commentary, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. It's darn near swoon-worthy listening.
-wendy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:06 pm

My name is Robert Wilson, I'm from Eau Clair, Wiscon..

Is from 3000 Miles. I love this song live, the whole intro. LOVE it!
:D
Susan

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:46 pm

10. Do not mention his name is Who killed John Lennon? I had to go for the one with a British angle!!!

The shooting of John Lennon was one of those instances where you always remember where you were when you first heard the news.

I was at work and the wife of a colleague phoned to tell him - he passed the news on to the rest of us in the office and no-one could quite believe it. What a sad, sad way to die and what a loss to the world - such a talented and influential artist - my favourite Beatle.

Jela

care

Postby care » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:46 pm

11: If you could paint her she'd be a Picasso- she's got a few things out of place

Here she is.

:D

great phrase.

shari

Postby shari » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Hey Jeff,

Here is the link to the video about River Phoenix.... I loved this video too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6tilhW-IcM

I tested the link and it's still there....

My (teenage) son goes gaga over this song. Actually, I am pretty sure that Stories is my son's favorite Ellis CD, but I'll have to be sure that I'm not lying... :-)

Shari

mm

Postby mm » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:15 pm

In regards to Breathe, very poignant, yes, but years ago I had that album (on a cassette tape!) and was addicted to it for a while. I used to take my dog to work with me every day, and whenever the song got into the gorgeous harmonies at the end with Ellis and Jonatha, my dog would start howling, first softly, then more strongly. Just about every time I played it. She never did that for any other song or artist or duo that I remember. Good taste, I'd say, and what a good girl she was.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Really enjoying this guys and gals. :) Maybe tomorrow two more EP devotees will grace us with the last two:

3. She is searching for some form of salvation

9. This time let's not bring up my disasters

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 pm

Just a few words on how much fun this trivia thread is for all of us to both participate in as well as to read everyone's personal experiences with not only the album but the song they chose to match up to it's title. I must say it was really hard to decide which one to grab and answer early this morning when it first appeared. At the time they all seemed easy enough to match up, but now, I can easily guess # 3 ( another great song ) and for the life of me have NO IDEA what #9 is, at all.

I'll quote Ellis Paul lyrics to explain it:

"You know I'm getting older" ...which is from......WAIT... it might show up on a forthcoming trivia thread, so I'll just close by saying it's from:

clueless :?:

:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:28 am

Clueless,

Here's a clue. #9 is the name of one of our forums on the board. Does that help? :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:50 am

That's a great clue.....not helping jog the gray matter this am tho.

Hmmn....most opening lines to Ellis songs bring on instant recollection for me. I get the next line or two of lyric, the music, and the chorus come right back front and center as if googled in my data center.

This one is still not familiar.........I Don't know why.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:03 am

Ok, finally.....I think I have it.......looked at it in a new way, gave it a quicker tempo than before, used KZ's clue, and I do have it.

Great Song!!!

Carry on. :?
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:10 am

Paddy,

"You know I'm getting older" -- that's from my first obsessively favorite EP songs, no wait, that might be a lie, but certainly one of the first.....

:-)

#9 - I can sing it, but I'll be darned if I can think of the title....it'll come to me...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:22 am

The line "I'm getting older" is from what I usually refer to as my first favorite EP song. It has that distiction because it's the first song I ever requested at a show.....and miracle of miracles....my request was granted. It was in Columbus, Ohio....at what was also my first ever house concert....wow....what a great memory/feeling....still..... :)

Gee....I guess we have yet another song title to guess. Anyone want to take a try? Although if no one wants to, you don't have to justify yourself to us. ;)

KarenZ

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:27 pm

3. All Things Being the Same

:)
-Katie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 am

OK....I guess I get to finish this one off. :)

#9 = "Looking for my friends"

KarenZ

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”