Welcome to the Ellis Paul Discussion Board!

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

Welcome to the Ellis Paul Discussion Board!

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 pm

Thanks to all of Karen's hard work the new board is just thriving.

It would be great if we could get more active members wouldn't it?

If you enjoy reading the boards, please feel free to post. This is a great environment. Not only to discuss Ellis Paul and his music, but also to talk about general topics.

Stop on in and say "Hi"

:mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Bonnie, Thank you Thank you Thank You.

We wondered out loud about this in Ogunquit, didn't we. Yes, indeed! How to pass along to All who read this board that although we appear to be a click, we are far from it. In Spirit, anyway. I got a kick out of PeteM on Saturday when it dawned on him that most of us were meeting in person for the very first time.

I strongly believe and stated that it's much like reading your favorite newspaper columnist(s) and while you very much enjoy reading you feel no need to repond to what's been said. That's understandable.

The folks we're hoping will respond to this thread are the ones who feel like " saying something " and just aren't sure where to jump in. This would be as good a place as any. In fact, thinking about this earlier today myself, and thought a new thread along the order of " for newbies only ". In that place they could feel comfy and test the water and such.

The EPDB Board of Directors would only be allowed to " lurk - a - way " but not post until a given amount of time had passed or number of newbies had joined and started their own talks. Of course, it goes without saying that the sentiment shared is " Welcome to the group ". So we could hang back and let others do the posting. Naturally, If newbies felt compelled to say hey to certain devotees by name, we could post back.

Otherwise, their very own thread. And once comfort levels rose, the Get To Know You Survey, better known as 20 Questions.

In closing, we welcome all newcomers. Most of 'em anyway and you newbies will understand once you've invested some heart and soul and time and along comes a spammer jammer kind of new member. Otherwise, as posted in another thread about this sort of thing:

Come on in, the water's fine.

Bonnie, on a personal note, thanks again for this thread and let's hope It has somewhere near the momentum that Ogunquit Aug.05.2006 has seen.

And really enjoy seeing your Armadillo Avatar. It's rare to see one Upright. :shock:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:54 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:And really enjoy seeing your Armadillo Avatar. It's rare to see one Upright. :shock:
I didn't know they came that way.... ;)
Jeff

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Yes, new members, "lurkers," anyone reading - WELCOME! I actually just met KarenZ for the first time on Saturday (what a sweetheart she is!), as well as Paddy, PeteM, & John1977. I haven't met a bad egg on here, and I think we'd all love to hear from you, and get your input. Just realized that I'm restating what Bonnie & Paddy already said, but wanted to reiterate their sentiments:

WELCOME :!:

and please - do post, if you feel the urge; most of us don't bite. :twisted:

~Lauren

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 pm

Lauren wrote: most of us don't bite. :twisted:

~Lauren

Lauren that was an accident, and I apologised. :(

Ha ha!! :P

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:06 pm

*giggle chuckle snort*

Oh that bonuela....
:lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:12 pm

I only bite the socks off full bellied clams at Jonathan's.....but only once and never again. :lol:

Twas indeed Touch My Butt Weird.........
:shock:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 pm

My mom is a lurker. :o
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Jalapenos wrote:My mom is a lurker. :o

Can you really blame her :?: .....this is one case ( of many ) where I totally understand.

Can you see her posting something like, Uh Katie, your laundry is done. I'm happy to see that she at least lurks.... :D .....was Bull Run her first time to see Ellis play Live?

Either you or MOM can answer that one. :lol:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:29 pm

Second time seeing Ellis, first time seeing Antje.

I don't even know what her name is, just that she has one. I am about to see if I can figure it out. hehe
-Katie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 am

Thanks Bonnie for starting this thread and for all your kind comments. I'm certain I've said many times that my goal is to make this board an interesting, informative and fun place...and from the feedback I've gotten, I think we've achieved that goal! :) However, I will continue my efforts along those lines! :)

I know there are many lurkers out there and hope that some will eventually become active posters in addition to being active readers, but I also want folks to know I support their decision to participate at whatever their comfort level is. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:51 am

Karen, very well said, as usual, and I totally echo your sentiment. We in no way think or feel that reading only and not posting is a bad thing. I for one don't really mind at all.

AND....I've Told you this personally in PM and I'll say it here for the rest to see: You can someday look forward to retiring from your day job, but this is something I/We hope you will do forever....and a day. :D

You are an amazing and talented fan and friend of Ellis Paul and he/we are lucky to have you in our corner.

You really do need to be the "winner" of the Cannondrop renaming contest.

In my/our book we are the winners for having you here to lead and guide us in helping to stay tuned with Ellis Paul and His life and travels and stay in touch with each other and our life and travels throughout this Most wonderful of Forums which touches on spreading the word about Ellis and his/our friends.

So There. :D That needed to be said, and I'm happy to say it.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:24 pm

Oh pshaw. Tweren't nuttin'. :)

(Thanks.) :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:55 pm

I have to echo what all the previous posts have mentioned. This board is a great place to come to, and everyone is great. As someone who has only recently begun posting, I can personally swear to the fact that everyone has been nothing but welcoming, and it feels like I have a bunch of new friends. I read a few different message boards, and this one feels unique in that it is a community that encourages new people to jump in, and all comments welcome. I've never seen it descend to the name calling that some other boards seem to do quite often. And for that, I think we can thank KarenZ most of all for creating this environment.
Peter

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Jeezum crow. I'm gonna need a bigger crown. ;)

Seriously....thanks, guys and gals. The board is a collective effort and I couldn't do it without all your support/participation.

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:59 pm

KarenZ ROCKS!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:37 pm

Had you noticed before now that the record for most users online at the same time was 46? But today at 5:37pm we set a new online record....when there were 61 users online! Jeezum crow! :shock: :shock: :shock:

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:46 pm

hehehe - Ralph & I might have mentioned the website and DB a few (dozen) times at Slate's last night...
8)

A little side note...
Karen, any artist would be lucky to have you as their devoted fan and all around guru - I myself am so very happy that it's Ellis Paul. You have had such a positive influence on my musical appreciation of his work, in facilitating this open forum of discussion and general thought-sharing, which in turn has sparked (for me, at least) deeper ponderings on these subjects and various tangents.

Some may not always comprehend our passion for this music and the role it has taken in our lives, but I think it has touched us on some visceral level, and changed us in some way, otherwise we would not be here, reading or posting. I, for one, know it has changed me, and so much for the better.

So thank you, Karen, for all the work you have done on this site, and all the behind-the-scenes work that we don't ever see, for it has truly had a wonderful impact on my life.

You are the bomb.

Diggity.

Yo.

:shock:

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:01 am

Where IS that "YEA THAT" emoticon when you need it?!

I second the above messages, in spades. :D
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:20 am

Folks...honestly....it makes me feel really good knowing that my efforts are appreciated. :D

I must admit there were days when I was discouraged...but continued to post things that I thought would be interesting, informative and fun....and would spark participation (quizzes, guess passes, etc.)...so I'm glad it's paying off... and that we now have such a terrific core group of members! :)

BIG cyber-hug to you all! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:06 pm

This is just a big ol shout out of HOWDY to 2 people seated at the EPDB Table at Jonathan's in Ogunquit who I was so happy to meet and now see as 2 of our latest newest members. So It is that I say to SusanH and Msmeetngreet:

Welcome aboard!!! It's good to see ya again in a cyberspace kind of way..... :D

I hope to get to know you both a lil better soon....hint, hint. :P

There I go cross - posting again...... :roll:

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:20 am

Just curious bout somethin here.

New fans seem to "add comments" to the end of ellis' blog on the front page telling Ellis how much they enjoyed seeing Ellis in concert here or there and how nice Ellis was to their kids and the like.

It'd be great to have new faces or voices anyway on the forum. Just wonderin out loud here if somehow when a new fan arrives at ellispaul dot com and reads the front page blog (a natural thing to do) and then sees the "add a comment" button.......if they don't somehow think it's the ONLY way to voice their individual appreciation of Ellis and his music or their recent time spent with him in concert.

Perhaps they are "new" to the concept of artist's web sites and Discussion Groups and what they're all about.

Might they thnk the add a comment is their only outlet or avenue to say hey to Ellis???

We "in the know" may take it for granted, but I'll bet there's lotsa folks who simply don't know.....that's all I'm saying.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:37 am

It definitely irritates me when folks post comments about shows on the blog. Other than getting Ellis to move his blog back to the discussion board (where it essentially was when we had the Words forum), I don't know of any way to prevent it from happening. There's a link two inches to the left that says DISCUSS. There's also a link to LYRICS viewable from every page of the web site, including the board...yet we had someone recently who posted on the board asking for lyrics. There's no way to make people see what's right in front of them.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:56 am

I wasn't so bothered by it..always like to hear how folks felt about their time spent with Ellis and his music. I really think they are good folk who are simply clueless to what's inside the forum.

No worries.....just talkin points.

All kiddin aside Karen, I know how hard you work at gettin it right.
I'd be frustrated too if it were me. Just wonder if there isn't a "tweak" here or there that could serve as a Welcome mat to those out of the loop and visiting for the first time.

Say....Bonnie's opening post on this thread seen by ALL up on the front page so there's no question as to where best to ADD COMMENTS on everything else save the blog just read.

Ya might liken it to a crazed fisherman trying out a new lure fro the first time when he's got several others in the tackle box...but is sure this one will fill his limits for the day.

Just an idea. :idea:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:01 am

Maybe they could put a button next to the "add comment" one that says "discuss" and looks the same?? That would probably work.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Folks,

It just occurred to me. This is 100 days that the new board has been in existence! And there are 2975 postings! :shock: Amazing. 8)

Since I can't celebrate by going to an Ellis Paul show (I can't believe I haven't been to a show since Ogunquit! Almost TWO MONTHS! That is just wrong.) :cry: I guess I'll have to console myself by going to hear Kris Delmhorst tonight....

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm

That's about 30 posts a day? That is pretty darned amazing.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Say Something”