Today (Sept. 12) in EP Music History Trivia

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Sept. 12) in EP Music History Trivia

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 am

"Joni Mitchell and Marvin Gaye
and Johnny Cash risen
from the ashes on my grave, my grave
That's Johnny Cash there
singing "Ring of Fire" upon my grave" -- Ellis Paul

Country music's Johnny Cash died just 3 years ago on Sept. 12, 2003. Cash was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1980 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

Can you name the Ellis Paul song containing the lines of lyric above? Click here for answer.

In 1969 Cash recorded a duet with Bob Dylan that was the opening track on Dylan's Nashville Skyline. Can you name the song? Click here for answer.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:53 am

I can name that tune in 2 quarter notes....but won't. :wink:

Don't know the co-write with Dylan...but it seems fitting that it leads off an album titled Nashville Skyline. Was that Bob gone country?

What amazes me is the way hollywood can capture the essence of someone like Johnny Cash with an actor the likes of Joaquin Phoenix.

Then you have other instances where you say no way can this actor or that one capture who this person was and bring it home.

And yet..it happens. Two that come to mind right away are the performances of Leonardo Di Caprio as Howard Hughes and Jim Carrey as Andy Kauffman.

Ellis and I chatted briefly in Ogunquit about how cool it might be to visit someone's gravesite and be able to push a few buttons and hear some of the dearly departed's favorite tunes while there paying respects.

Johnny Cash lives on in so many ways and I hope to someday tune in to what I've likely missed all along. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:04 am

Paddy,

The lead-off song on Nashville Skyline wasn't a co-write....just a duet. The song is one that Dylan had actually written/recorded for an earlier CD....but he liked the duet with Johnny so much that he used it again. :) Believe me....these trivia questions are an education for me too! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:53 am

Now if Johnny Cash were singing "A Boy Named Sue" I would say it's Jukebox on My Grave, but "Ring of Fire"? I'm not sure. Hee Hee!!

I like it when Ellis changes up the song that Cash is singing during live shows.

:D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:12 am

Karen, have to agree...most educational. Oops on the co-write line above. Has me wondering now, did Dylan do many co-writes? Hmmn?

I know I heard Nashville Skyline in my teens and liked it just that SO MANY years have passed and I just dont recall the songs or Johnny Cash's duet on the first track. It's back on the radar tho......thanks.

Back to actors a minute.....Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman. WOW. Back in the old forum we had a thread going about who would play Ellis Paul and his inner circle. Not one of us mentioned Jim Carrey as Ellis Paul. I would never count him out of the running to play any one.

On a side note, to stay in touch, Andy Kaufman, after achieving some amount of fame, would spend time working as a busboy at a famous deli in Los Angeles. I had the doubletake of my life one afternoon while visiting my brother Michael who lived in LA for 20 years. There we were sitting in Jerry's Deli ordering lunch and who saunters past in a busboy's uniform but Andy Kaufman. I'd known about Andy from the old SNL and FRIDAYS comedy show.

Funny....I knew it was ANDY.

And yet.

:shock:
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:00 am

I still cringe when I hear "Boy named Sue;" It was the ultimate tease my sister used when we were growing up. I'm glad Ellis usually stays with "Ring of Fire."

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:05 am

Sorry. I have the same reaction to My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:22 am

You gals are funny. :)

Hey girl named Sue....I just heard "boy named Sue" on the radio. Did you know it was written by children's author Shel Silverstein? I didn't. (I never liked that song either....and prefer Ellis' "ring of fire" version.) ;)

Nobody ever wrote a song about Karen. :cry: Now Sherry is a lucky girl. Frankie Valli. Steve Perry. Not fair, I tell 'ya. :wink:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:25 am

Gotcha both beat..... :cry:

Normally having a name like Patrick as a kid is harmless. Unless of course you're on the chubby side (as I was) and then kids tryin to rhyme kid's names so of course I always got :

Fat Pat :cry:

Then SNL with the character PAT who was neither boy nor girl:

It's Pat...funny haha. Could never phone someone quite the same way again with the the intro: It's Pat...... :?

Fast forward to Spongebob Squarepants cartoon which my son Michael simply could not get enough of. Seems Bob's bestus buddy is a big ol pinkish starfish goof by the name of Patrick.

Yikes!!! I continue to need to wise up and slim down. :wink:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:51 pm

I love Sponge Bob's Patrick. He's such a good hearted lug!

And he wears such snazzy pants. 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:27 pm

That's our Paddy. ;)

bonuela wrote:He's such a good hearted lug!

BTW bonnie.....been meaning to say.....I love your colorful "Ellis Paul is an incredible songwriter" tag that you've been using faithfully. :)

Karenz

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Thank you Karen. It is in my signature now so I don't have to keep typing it!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:42 pm

A good hearted lug, eh?

Thanks....I think!!!

I like Bonnie's tag line as well and think it would look great on a
bumper sticker ot tee shirt. A real attention getter!!!

signed:

the lug
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:58 pm

Well said Bonnie, Patrick is a good hearted lug.

I love Shel Silverstein so much that I can forgive him "Boy Named Sue." Who wouldn't love someone who invites you to go where the sidewalk ends?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Now hold on just a gosh darned minute!! I was clearly referring to Sponge Bob's Patrick as a lug. Our Paddy is clearly big hearted. Dunno about lug-like. :P

Before you all go wearing my tag line, lemme tweak the colors. I think it is too bland, but haven't had time to fix it.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:30 pm

What happened to our PINK baby-doll t-shirt? You remember....the one with the artful ep on it? :cry:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Girls, make up yer minds. Are ya gonna argue the merits of whether paddy is goodhearted v. a lug or both......or what color and style the eventual essential essensual ellis t- shirt is gonna be.

Since we are on John Cash's thread here, black gets my vote..... :P
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm

I too was referring to sponge bob's compadre...our Paddy is good-hearted, but I wouldn't call him a lug.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 pm

I guess I don't really know what a lug is. :oops: I've been looking up vocabulary words alot lately. John Krakauer has me questioning the education I received. :wink:

Paddy, all I know is that calling you a good-hearted lug was meant as a compliment. You're definitely good-hearted....and I always think of a lug as...well.....Hoss Cartwright comes to mind! :) I mean....Hoss is a big guy who's a softie. Does that make you feel better? :)

I would never vote against BLACK. :wink:

KarenZ

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:48 pm

I like Boy Named Sue... makes me laugh

Karen, I've never heard a song about a Katie, if that makes you feel better :-P
-Katie

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:12 pm

That's because your name isn't Sue and you didn't look like the twin of a boy you went to school with from kindergarten through 12th grade :lol:

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:35 pm

Back to the grave part of this topic. :P I'd love to read about Ellis' tour of gravesites. I read part of a book about a journalist who travelled to the sites of different music/artistic tragedies. I couldn't follow his writing style, but the subject matter fascinated me.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:11 pm

All...lugs are nuts..they hold wheels on cars..as in lug nuts.

Not sure if I'm a lug....folks often say I''m nuts.....usually w/ good reason.

Karen, feelin fine and enjoyed the Hoss (my fave) comparison.

Katie.....Katy Lied by Steely Dan...sp i know.

Sue......a boy twin K-12...yikes.....the folks wouldn't move?

Bonnie...don't change it too much...it looks good as is.

Black it is then and no baby doll tees please.
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”