Choose a book for Book Club!

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Please vote for one book from the list below.

Poll ended at Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:30 am

Huckelberry Finn - Mark Twain
7%
Mark Twain biography - Ron Power
7%
Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
20%
Woody Guthrie, A Life - Joe Klein
20%
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
47%

Total votes: 15

KarenZ
Site Admin

Choose a book for Book Club!

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 am

Folks,

In the poll above, please vote for a book for our first Book Club. The poll will run for 4 days. I'm going to delete the previous Book Club thread so we don't get confused. (Jela, please vote here in the poll since your vote in the old thread has been deleted.)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks Karen for setting the vote up - I've cast mine now

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 am

Excellent! Jela, I set the poll to end after 4 days....so that should be Monday morning (here). Feel free to take over with getting things moving when the poll ends. If you think it's best to start with a new thread, please do.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Thanks guys for getting this ball rolling. I picked the one I hadn't read...but I wouldn't mind rereading any of the others.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:15 am

ditto Sue Ellen's response :) None of those are books I'd mind re-reading.
-wendy

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 am

So once a book is chosen are you just going to set a deadline and then discuss it here on the board? I must have missed the first thread.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:41 am

Jayce,

Yes, that's what will happen. Jela will provide more guidance once the title has been chosen via the poll. The original discussion began in the thread announcing Ellis' CD and Book Recommendations. You can read the thread in the Paparazzi Forum or click on the link below:

http://www.ellispaul.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=185

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:38 pm

Sue Ellen wrote:Thanks guys for getting this ball rolling. I picked the one I hadn't read...but I wouldn't mind rereading any of the others.

Sue Ellen

Copycat.... :) Oh that's right, you said it first.

What Sue Ellen said. :lol:
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Folks,

There's only approximately 12 hours left until the poll closes....so if you've been meaning to vote, don't hesitate much longer. ;)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:14 am

Folks,

The poll is closed. Looks like our Book Club will be reading Into the Wild. ;)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:27 pm

Looks like Jela has the helm!! And we have our assignment.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Okay...I'm in...and excited to be. It'll be my first book club so I'll follow all leads. I am wondering if the book is on audiobook and if that's okay.

Also just curious, anyone heard a possible film release date for the Sean Penn directed movie of the book. I'll assume the title will remain the same as the book.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Say Something”