The Weepies (song: "Painting by Chagall")

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Weepies (song: "Painting by Chagall")

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi folks,

I first saw Deb Talan and Steve Tannen a few years ago when they were part of a song circle at the Club Cafe in Pittsburgh that also featured Mark Erelli and Kris Delmhorst. Deb and Steve both had solo careers at the time...but since then have joined forces and now record/tour as The Weepies. I saw The Weepies live a couple months ago when they did an in-studio performance at the new WYEP Community Broadcast Center in Pittsburgh. Their latest CD Say I am You was released this past March has has been getting a good bit of radio airplay both on WYEP and my new love, WUMB in Boston. Really good stuff...very mellow... in keeping with much of what I'm enjoying these days, ala Hem, Iron & Wine and Rosie Thomas. Curiously, one of the tracks on Say I am You is a song titled "Painting by Chagall". (We all know that Ellis Paul has a song "Marc Chagall," right? ;)

Painting by Chagall

Thunder rumbles in the distance, a quiet intensity
I am willful, your insistence is tugging at the best of me
You're the moon, I'm the water
You're Mars, calling up Neptune's daughter

[chorus]
Sometimes rain that's needed falls
We float like two lovers in a painting by Chagall
All around is sky and blue town
Holding these flowers for a wedding gown
We live so high above the ground, satellites surround us.

I am humbled in this city
There seems to be an endless sea
of people like us, Wakeful dreamers, I pass them on the sunlit streets
In our rooms filled with laughter
We make hope from every small disaster

[repeat chorus]

Everybody says "you can't, you can't, you can't, don't try."
Still everybody says that if they had the chance they'd fly like we do.

[repeat chorus]

Although "Painting by Chagall" isn't on MySpace, four other tracks are. Take a listen at the link below.

The Weepies on MySpace.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:51 pm

My son LOVES The Weepies! :-) He's been trying to get me to listen to them....

He's making me listen to them now....

:-)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:59 pm

What an awesome kid! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:27 am

For those of you who are fans of the TV show Grey's Anatomy, I neglected to say that you may have heard The Weepies doing "the world spins madly on" during more than one episode...

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:30 pm

I have the Steve Tannen solo CD that garnished so much attention for him and recall really enjoying it.....now I read the story of the beginnings of THE WEEPIES and man oh man did they ever meet cute? WOW. :shock:

Can't wait to pull out the CD I have and give it another spin and then hear how his project with Deb Talan sounds. Love that story.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”