Best-selling album of all time...

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Best-selling album of all time...

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 am

Good morning folks,

From the opening sentence "Who's got the best-selling music album of all time?" to the final sentence "It's like Cy Young's pitching records. They'll never be touched because of the times" this article is really interesting reading with facts and figures supplied by the Record Industry Association of America. Written by Michael Booth, it originally appeared in the Denver Post on Aug. 4, 2006. What's interesting is that we're talking one album....not total record sales...which of course is a record held by The Beatles. Can you guess what the all-time best selling album is? I would have guessed Frampton Comes Alive and it's not even on the list! :oops:

Ellis....what would your guess be? No peeking first. :wink:

Top of the heap: You'll never guess who has the best-selling album, and why.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:35 am

My guess is an artist from mainstream pop...along the lines of Madonna
or the former lead singer of the all brother group led by the one gloved wonder. Ya know, the guy that bought the rights to some of the Beatles' tunes. What was his name?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:40 am

Paddy....good guesses...but nope. :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:55 am

Aw shucks..ok..how 'bout the Artist formerly known as Garth Brooks :?:

:P

Meant to say earlier, Frampton Comes Alive , was a great guess.

I'll never get this...........I'll try tho. :D
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:22 am

I was amazed when I read the answer.
Don't own it myself (though I do own at least one album by the artist(s)). The rationale makes sense, though, and made for fun reading.
Thanks, as always, Karen! :)
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:27 am

Reading between posts by Karen and Wendy, my next guess is:

From the Disco age, maybe:

The Bee Gees :?:

or

Saturday Night Fever - Soundtrack :?:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:36 am

My guess was 'Thriller' Michael Jackson and I had a peek so know that I am wrong. I was suprised at the winner although did go to see them live in the late 70's two nights in a row in London - I was a mere stripling!!

He he

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:36 am

Paddy....you're warmer...but no cigar yet. :wink:

Jela....you lucky dawg! :lol: Just think...our trusty hero was probably a babe in arms.... :wink:

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 am

It's so fun to read all your guesses!!! :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 am

Uh, okay, here's a wild guess and maybe even spot on:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

It was rather popular, anyway.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:11 am

Dark Side of the Moon is 23 on the list....although Floyd's The Wall is #4. Another good guess! ;)

KZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:27 am

Surprised by Pink Floyd's 2 top sellers. I only enjoyed the older one.

RIGHT NOW, I'm torn between English and American supergroups.

Lots of great ones, but the standout: ALL TIME Best Selling Album :?:

I keep saying to myself:

Can't be this one...can't be that one...I'd of heard of that feat by now.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:48 am

My supergroup candidates:

From this side of the pond:
CSNY
The EAGLES
Simon and Garfunkel
THe Beach Boys
Bruce Springsteen

From that side of the pond:
Led Zepplin
The Who
The Police
The Rolling Stones
Genesis
Cream
Traffic
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:58 am

But.....what album? :wink:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:34 pm

I peeked, but I think I had heard that before. Still can't believe it. :shock:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 pm

Alrighty then.

Regis, listen up.

Simon and Garfunkel
Scarborough Fair

Final Answer.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:10 pm

Paddy, still no cigar. :(

I'm not saying anything else until our fearless leader takes a guess. Or until I'm ready to bust. Whichever comes first. :wink:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:26 pm

I did not peek....but I did allow the woman across the table to. Her eyes lit up when she saw the link article that talks about the reveal. I'm happy to say that I think I have it now. I'm sorry to say that I think it's based on her peeking and giving me TOO BIG a clue. Our informal chat led to her mentioning a few bands off MY LIST of supergroups it might be.

She said to me: I mentioned their name in our conversation just now.

So, NOW I think I Know the artist and the album that has the #1 spot.

Drum roll please..............................

The Eagles
Hotel California

I'm not proud. :oops:

If this is correct: :shock:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Sorry, Paddy. As Oscar the Grouch would say Ding dong, you're wrong. :lol:

I am mortally :oops: . I was just having dinner with my 27-year old son. I told him about this little trivia question we've been dealing with today. I swear that before I even had the question finished, he blurted out the answer without even a millisecond's hesitation. :shock: Then he made the following embarrassing statement. "Anybody who doesn't know that must lead a sheltered life." :oops:

What does that say about us all? :wink:

When you know the answer to the question, you'll realize just how embarrassing this is to me....given my son's age....

Ellis....are you as sheltered as we are? :?

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 pm

Yea, I didn't think that album had a real chance of being #1. It took the music world by storm, to be sure, but still.

Karen, sheltered lives? Gee, maybe so. But, if this is sheltered living, Gimme Shelter. :wink:

Hmmn, the answer came that quickly from your son. Well. They say the apples don't fall far from the tree. Looks like it's true here.

It's tough knowing that the woman across the table has seen the reveal and knows full well the answer. Meanwhile I rack my musical mind for some trace of memory of this fact. It's just not ringing a bell at all.

Lifelines?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm

I guessed it. I got it. The woman across the kitchen confirmed it. Of course, as I sat looking at my potentials list, she gave me the only clue I really ever needed. Once she said what she said, I said, Oh, it must be such and such then. Then I got the nod.

It's surprising :shock: .

And that's all I'm saying. :D

Well, except that it does make sense. :wink:

But how did your son, at 27, know this?

I bet I know......trivial pursuit :!:

Who's sheltered now? :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 am

Our fearless leader says he knew the answer was The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-75. I guess we have to take him at his word. :)

Embarrassing to me because my son was born in 1978. :oops:

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”