Today (Aug. 15) in Music History Trivia!

Test your knowledge of Ellis Paul trivia here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Today (Aug. 15) in Music History Trivia!

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:55 am

I would be remiss in not marking today's date in music history! :)

They came by the thousands. They came from every corner of the U.S. and many came from other countries. It was a pilgrimage to a farm owned by Max Yasgur in an area of Sullivan County, New York called Bethel. In a manner of speaking, this was a religious experience. It was a pilgrimage for love, and peace. And throughout it all, the music played! :)

The Woodstock Music and Art Fair opened on this day in 1969. Two dozen bands came to play on a wooden stage in the middle of a pasture. It was a happening unlike any other before it ... and, probably like none after. 450,000 people formed a love-in for three days and nights. Jimi Hendrix was there, Joan Baez, and Arlo Guthrie, too. Country Joe and the Fish, Santana, Crosby, Stills and Nash. Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Who, and so many more. There were hippies, and bikers, Viet Nam war vets, and high school kids ... college kids and college grads, longhaired and short, young and old ... and the world watched and joined in through the magic of the media.

They came by the thousands. The music played, people danced and sang. And the memories went home with them. Woodstock marked an era.

Groovy! Far out! Like, wow, man! Power to the people! And, of course... Peace, brother! :)

In looking at the Woodstock list of songs performed I see at least one song that Ellis Paul has covered. I'll give you a clue. It's a song by The Band. Can you guess the song? Are there any other songs on the list that you've heard Ellis cover? I think there are others... :)

Here's another Woodstock web site where you could literally spend days browsing. :)
Woodstock 69-A Tribute

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:20 am

My guess, without looking at the website is 'The Night they drove Old Dixie Down'

Jela

Have just checked the website and this song isn't featured so I'm wrong ! Boo Hoo!
Last edited by Richard + Jela on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks Karen. Quite the bit of trivia.....especially access to setlists of all who played this once in a lifetime concert. Somewhere somebody has this entire setlist on a group of discs and probably plays it for three days around anniversary time.

The song by the Band that Ellis has covered is one of my all time favorite songs by the boys that once backed Bob Dylan at a folk festival and drew loud and angry boos for plugging in and electrifying Mr. Dylan's sound.

What a cool band name they came up with and the back story is just classic Rock and Roll. The DVD of their last concert together is of course part of Rock and Roll History. THE LAST WALTZ captures so well the magic of this group of musicians at their peak as well as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and others. And I just loved the backroom insight interviews with Robbie Robertson. I wanna say it's a Martin Scorsese film.

Anyway, I think Ellis and Vance did this song together once at a show in Seattle when I was living there. It might even be on their CD Side Of The Road.

She walks these hills........

That's just a hint...... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Trivia Corner....or Did I Ever Know You?”