the lucky ones

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

the lucky ones

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:20 am

I'm lucky, I'm lucky, I can walk under ladders....a lyrical look at being lucky as sung by Joan Armatrading from her earlier days.

My life has been filled with an appreciation for what my dad always referred to as luck of the irish. Seems every hard luck tale that could have been alot worse he'd either preface or end with that saying.

And I think he was onto something. I always appreciated the fact that come March 17th on the calendar, everyone's Irish for the day.

If you can put into words the ways in which you've been lucky at times in your life, I'm sure folks here would enjoy those kinds of stories.

I feel lucky to have been born into the family I was born into and the ways in which it shaped who I am today. I feel lucky to be among the folks on the planet who can appreciate the kind of music Ellis and his peers make on a daily basis.

I could go on and on and I'm sure I will, later.

Lucky for you. :wink:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Karen and/or powers that be:

I'd like to ask a favor if I may.

For a few reasons I can think of, and mostly because of:

Ellis' song : Washington DC 5/91......

Could you please change the topic name to : the lucky ones

other considerations:

thank your lucky stars

lucky me

as luck would have it

They'd all work fine.

Luckily! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Paddy, I could easily edit your subejct line, but I think it's time you discovered the wonders of editing one's own post. :) After you've logged in, simply click on the "edit" icon at the top of your initial post, (or any post that YOU made in that thread) then you can delete the old subject line and replace it with a new one. One can only edit one's own stuff. Which makes perfect sense. :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:13 pm

Why thank you ma'am.

I knew one could easily edit their own post....just didn't know one could
go a step further and change the topic name of a thread they had started.

Lucky for us, we have you, as our faithful guide. :wink:

You're the best. :D

Decide, decide, decide.

Ah darn, it's up to me now, isn't it? :roll:

Stay tuned........
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

I feel lucky to have been born into the family I was born into and the ways in which it shaped who I am today.

I second that!
-Katie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am

Paddy and all,

Believe it or not, I often purposely don’t chime into threads! A good moderator knows when to keep quiet. :wink: There’s a phenomenon I’ve observed….that when one person dominates a conversation, often others in the group remain quiet. Not sure why. Anyway, I don’t want to dominate conversations here…and purposely wanted to give you all an opportunity to jump into this thread first.

Having said that, I will also say that I’ve been thinking about this subject since yesterday. I guess I think of myself as being blessed rather than being lucky. Maybe there’s no difference. Anyway, when I try to formulate something in my head about how/why I feel blessed…it’s just too BIG. I can’t contain it into anything manageable to even write. Besides that, talking about how I feel blessed starts to slide over a line into personal stuff that I’m not willing or able to share in a public forum. Maybe you all are hesitating for the same reason. If so, I understand completely. If I try to narrow the subject down to just Ellis/music-related blessings…whew. I could write a book. Literally. :) And over the past few months I’ve actually been telling myself I need to start writing some of my Ellis-experiences down. Another item for the to-do list. :)

I was previously on a discussion board for a musician that over time morphed into a board where people shared lots of personal stuff and the artist was rarely mentioned. At some point it became so unbalanced that I found myself cringing at some of the stuff I was reading. That’s when I knew it was time for me to leave the group…and I did. I think too much “off-topic” stuff is a disservice to the artist and I suspect it must be confusing to brand-new fans joining the group expecting to find discussion about music.

You folks have possibly noticed that I’ve edited subject lines on occasion. A good moderator also knows when to step in. :) I’ve edited subject lines a handful of times. My rationale is “will this subject line tell me what this thread is about six months from now?” Or….even more importantly, “will this subject line tell a brand new member what this thread is about?” If the answer is no, I’ll edit the subject line to better reflect the thread’s content. I don’t keep track of whose subject lines I’ve edited. That’s not important and I’m sure not keeping a scorebook. It’s simply about making the board the best it can be. Overall you guys are so good about staying on topic and not getting into an unbalanced amount of personal stuff. I’m feeling pretty lucky! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:57 am

Karen - I'm happy to read here that you realise there is likely a good book of stories about your experiences since finding Ellis and his music. I know I meant to suggest to you that you should be writing a book about Ellis and You when we were all together in Ogunquit earlier this month.

Wherever will you find the time? How would you be able to whittle it down to just one book?

With any luck at all, WE will all have it in our homes and hearts someday.

Thanks for the insight on forums and how we can better serve the readers that come along a little later. I often wonder if less is more or if some topics may not lead one too far away from why we are all here in the first place. It seems like we're on pretty solid ground right now.

Lucky for Ellis and the rest of us, we have you to keep it all together.

And that could be seen as a blessing.
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:22 am

Well said Karen; I feel lucky that we have you to keep us focused.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Say Something”