CD of Club Passim New Year's Eve 2005 show

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

care

CD of Club Passim New Year's Eve 2005 show

Postby care » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:20 pm

just got the ellis newsletter, how can i get on a list or something to get that Club Passim cd???
Also- WHO CAN TELL ME WHEN THE DOUBLE CD IS GOING TO BE RELEASED!??? i'm dying in anticipation here.

xoxo
care

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Care,

Looks like you'll just have to keep checking the web site in a week or so and purchase the Club Passim CD when they become available.

Supposedly, the Best Of CD will be out in September.

We're all dying of anticipation. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

care

Postby care » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:26 pm

SEPTEMBER??!? noooooo i can't wait that long! tell ellis to hurry it up! i thought this was supposed to be out in the beginning of JULY!? aw.
well you can bet your bottom dollar that i'll be checking back to get one of the club passim shows, i've been going to them regularly for the past 4 years. it has become one of my favorite traditions.

thanks for the update!
~care

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Can't the message board regulars get on a list? :D I'll cry if I don't get one. Will it be ok to illegally copy his music this one time if I miss the sale?
-Katie

care

new cd?

Postby care » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:44 pm

ok the home page says look at the shop, but the shop doesn't say anything... Karen? anyone? help?

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:02 pm

It's just not available yet. Keep checking every so often, that's what I'm doing. By every so often I mean at least twice a day. :P
-Katie

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:01 pm

It's up, it's up, it's up....Yee Haw.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Did it just go up now? If so, I believe I have EP ESP.
-Katie

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Yes, I think it did. goody, goody, goody.

SE
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm

As they say on Wall Street.............

BUY :!: BUY :!: BUY :!: :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:17 pm

Done, done, and done.
-Katie

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 am

I got it! I got it! I got it!
:!: :!: :!:
Oh happy Thursday...
:mrgreen:
~Lauren

barb62

Postby barb62 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:27 am

Karen, wanted to let you know I ordered my copy of Ellis's Club Passion CD

thanks again!

barb62

care

Postby care » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:11 pm

now i just have to wait for the mail to come....

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 pm

No need to thank me. I'm just happy you got your order in. :)

KarenZ

barb62 wrote:Karen, wanted to let you know I ordered my copy of Ellis's Club Passion CD

thanks again!

barb62
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:21 pm

What a quandry! Now that I've purchased my CD, all this talk of the possibility of it (maybe) being available at the show has me biting all sorts of nails at the prospect of seeing it, and owning it, but not having it.
:shock:
ACK! :!: !
~L~

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:28 pm

Lauren, I'll buy you one in Ogunquit and when the one you ordered comes in the mail you can send it to me. How's that? :)

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:34 pm

Karen -

Sounds great to me!!! Wow, that Karen - what a doll! Now if only we still had that "raising a pint to you" emoticon...

See you in T-minus 50.5 hours!!!

~Lauren

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Yea, that karen, amazing. 8)

Besides that glass raising emoticon, I kinda like the idea of a countdown timer to Ogunquit on Saturday.

Who's got those kind of computer skills? :D

Not Me. :wink:
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Dear Jeffrey,

Thanks for ordering from CDFreedom! Your order has been shipped as
follows:

Big smile on my face....... big smile.
Jeff

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm

Now, the question remains:

did anyone pledge their first born child to have it shipped next day delivery???

They would be the true first owner/holders of The Disc...

(wishing there were a "green with envy emoticon...)
:P
~L~

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:29 pm

I couldn't do it.... not for the extra $25 - why that's a whole nother CD and still enough for a nice Thai lunch.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:40 am

I'm just gonna buy one at the show. And one for Miss Lauren since she can't wait for hers to arrive. That way she can get it autographed. :)

KarenZ

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:17 pm

Thai sounds good right now
-Katie

care

thai- yum!

Postby care » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:51 pm

thai does sound good right now! too bad the bull run doesn't serve thai... we should recommend it.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:54 pm

I heard the food at Bull Run is really good. I'm sorry I'll miss dinner and the show tonight. Hopefully there won't be too much traffic on the Turnpike tonight.

Sue Ellen

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Well I amnot sure I would callit "really good" - I wouldn't go there just for the food. But it is better than decent, and when you combine it with an appropriate beverage or three, and some fine entertainment...
Jeff

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:00 pm

Mmmm... I had some great Thai for lunch. Lobbies, full-bellied clams, and kickin' thai. Yum!

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 pm

I got the veggie lasagna at Bull Run and it was just eh. Not too exciting.
I was inspired to have Thai for lunch yesterday. Thai Sweet Basil in Andover has great crazy noodles!
-Katie

care

hi katie!

Postby care » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 am

katie it was nice to meet you at the bull run the other day! i had the chicken parm and it too was ok - i think because they served a limited menu the food wasn't as good as if it was off the regular menu.

i'm very excited to know you're from the area, i grew up in andover and i currently live in tewksbury! yay small world.

xoxo
care

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:47 am

So who all has listened to the new CD? I'm loving it so far!!! Any favorite tracks yet?

2 Bends is pretty high up there for me, as I don't yet have a recording of EP doing that.

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 am

I was listening to the Flynn CD on the way home last. The new Ellis is on the play list for today. I'll let you knwo later what I think :D
Peter

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:51 pm

PeteM wrote:I was listening to the Flynn CD on the way home last. The new Ellis is on the play list for today. I'll let you knwo later what I think :D

I can't pick a favorite yet since I've only heard it 3 times so far. I love that it includes Don and his dad, and the audience and their noisemakers.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Well it arrived in today's post so I've played it through once - I really like the talkie bits and 'Snow in Austin' together with the poem ' The night the lights went out on Christmas' will become Xmas staples I think.

I'm pleased that 'Two Bends' is on the album as that hasn't been on a previous recording so it's good that something new was included. Saw Ray Bonneville earlier this year and although he didn't play 'Two Bends' he has a unique style and really enjoyed his set.

Am so looking forward to this New Year at Passims - when will the tickets go on sale? I was hoping that they'd be available about now but I keep watching the website and nothin' doin' just yet.

Jela

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:16 pm

AGHHH!! I ordered mine the first day it was availabe and I don't have it yet! It has been shipped so hopefully it will be waiting on me today!! Can't wait to hear it!!

Sept. for the 2 disc cd??? That will be a great b-day gift! Ellis was here last year on my b-day weekend so I have great EP b-day luck!!! Don will be here that weekend this year so it will be another great one....and Christopher W. here 4 days before...EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm

I've hardly listened to it! I guess you could say I'm Ellised out. Usually happens after I see him live. I fast forwarded to hear all the talking but the only full song I listened to was The Only Way. I've been wearing out Antje's cd and scanning the radio with no luck. I really hate the radio sometimes.
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:23 pm

Katie - I think it happens to us all with most all artists we are over the top fond of. You listen on an ocd level for awhile, maybe more and more as the day of the concert approaches, then the show, then the ebb.

I've experienced it all my musical fandom life. I want to say that I just love the fact that you came out here and said you were Ellised Out!!!

It's an honesty rarely seen. It might happen to us.....but we would likely Not Ever say so. That's the difference I think between The Innocence Of Youth :D and the rest of us. .. :cry: ... :wink:

Here's the funny thing about that CD for me. I knew I'd seen the track listing somewhere, long before I picked it up on Sat. Nite at Ellis' show in Ogunquit. We were all taking turns chatting Ellis up and I realised I had a question about An EP song listed on Live At Club Passim.

I always believed the title of the New Year's Eve song was titled "The Ball Is Coming Down". That is until I saw the list of songs that made the CD.

Ok, somehow I missed that one. So I asked Ellis about it, and he said he had never written a song titled New Year's Eve. Hmmn, I'm sure I've seen it listed on a track listing somewhere, Ellis......nope...huh uh.

Track # 8 on this CD is titled : New Year's Eve

Ah hah!!!

It's an 8 second track of the audience and Ellis and the Guys counting out the New Year: 5...4..3..2..1..HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ...........:D ........... :roll: ......:wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:14 pm

I am loving the Live at Club Passim CD. The help from Don's electric guitar and Christopher's percussion adds just enough to "dress up" the songs without overshadowing what is typically heard at a live Ellis show. I prefer djembe over drum loops. ;) I love Christopher's use of the cymbals...especially on the "3000 Miles" intro...and they also fit well on "Martyr's lounge" and "sweet mistakes". It's also good to hear the harmonica on "the only way". Miss it. The piano-only "home" is beautiful. It doesn't need anything else...although towards the end I detect a tiny bit of electric guitar and some very soft harmony. Same with "snow in Austin". Nice. I wish "the night the lights went out on Christmas" had some instrumental "silent night" behind it instead... still hoping the story is published as a childrens' book.

It's the next best thing to being at a live show. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:18 pm

I listend to it 2 or 3 times on my drive home from Ogunquit last weekend and I have to say it made the drive all the more enjoyable. I too like what DonCon and Chris bring to Ellis' songs in concert and wish we/they had more opps to show the folks what that sounds and feels like.

But, my absolute all time favorite thing about this new CD with Melissa Bugg's Photo of Ellis at Woodyfest 2003 on the cover:

The fact that Ellis Paul signed my copy of it with the inscription:

Enjoy!!!

August 5 2006

Ogunquit, Me.

As Bob Hope would say:

Thanks......for the memories............ :D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:24 pm

Ok. I have listened to it over and over and over again so I have some input! :D

I am disappointed that most of my favorite moments were out in the audience therefore, not eligible for the record. Blacktop Train? Raucous. (rock-ous). Flynn singing DonCon's "Drink Another Round"? Hilarious. Ellis talking about Folk Singer lap dances? Priceless.

Even though they are great cover songs, I would have preferred originals.

Sweet Mistakes and Martyr's Lounge are my favorite tracks for now.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Huh? :?

KarenZ

bonuela wrote: Even though they are great cover songs, I would have preferred originals.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:31 pm

KarenZ wrote:Huh? :?

KarenZ

bonuela wrote: Even though they are great cover songs, I would have preferred originals.

Sorry. I'm having a rough day and should refrain from posting. :oops:

But I won't!! :D

I liked the songs that were written by other people, 9 I just can't remember the names right now) but not at the expense of others that Ellis wrote.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Well...the CD has two covers: Mark Erelli's The Only Way and Ray Bonneville's Two Bends in the Road.....or are you talking about the actual NYE show(s)? The lines are starting to blur.... :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Those are the 2 I was referring to!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Pardon me for interrupting...but could you please pass the grey poupon?

Oh, and by the way, I felt KZ's pain earlier...that's all I'm saying.

ps... :P :P .....you did mention 9 covers.

pss....love that edit feature too!!!

:D

:wink:
paddy

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:50 am

Paddy, you will have to forgive Katie. You see it is all Moms fault. It comes from months of being in the car listening to "all Ellis all the time" and Mom sniffling back the tears every time Home plays ( "Oh Mom, it's not on repeat again is it?" ). :oops: But it is the most beautiful song........

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:50 am

Mom...I mean Pebbles.....I totally understand the "oh no not again" refrain in the car whenever I get stuck on a new Ellis song or two. Happened recently with my son and I listening to AJF when the CD was newer.

He'd complain a bit but then I'd catch a glimpse of him in his carseat in back sing the chorus:

If you want to go
I'll pack a suitcase

If you want to stay
I'll make a front door key

He was ocd on Fireflies with Ellis singing harmonies with Lori McKenna years ago too. At the ripe ol age of three.

Thanks for sharing and Welcome to the Board :!: :D

ps - can't wait to see the exchanges out here tween Pebbles and Jalapenos.

Yabba Dabba DOOOOO.

I can edit that out , really I can, especially if the Pebbles has more to do with the beach or a river somewhere and the rocks found there.

All I'm saying is : It' possible Ellis is your Bam Bam.

:D

I've been wrong before. :oops:
paddy

msmeetngreet

Postby msmeetngreet » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm really enjoying the New Live CD alot - I love how it opens and how it ends. I remember how blown away I was during the SNOW IN AUSTIN and the 'epic xmas poem' parts as we had just seen something about it on the website but none of us had heard "the new song" yet.

That night was so full of music I do feel like there were lots of great moments that got left out of the final edit of the CD but it definitely does sound better for having Chris & Don (&Flynn) on there with Ellis (oh, and Antje on HOME, too).

Just like at any live shows of his, ELLIS SHINES...but it's nice to see the interaction between him and the other guys on the stage and that they have such an easy cameraderie with each other that they can wear COFFEE FILTERS on their HEADS...or wigs and never miss a beat! 8)

I'm glad I got mine at the Ogunquit show and could have Ellis sign it for me in SILVER SHARPIE (oooooohhhh!!) especially since there are only 500 of them out there - and definitely more than 500 Ellis completists out there who will need to own a copy for their collections.

Looking forward to the ESSENTIAL ELLIS collection, too, but it looks like it's going to be an early OCTOBER release date now, according to the news update on the front page of the site. Hey, that means I can pick it up at the early November CIRCLE OF FRIENDS show in Franklin, MA - awesome!!!

Lyn (happy to be back on the board after slacking for so long as a lurker)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:10 am

Lyn!

Welcome to the board, babe! Great seeing you in O-town! And we really were lucky with our silver sharpie autograph-dom... I got a copy of the New Year's Live album at the show at Slate's for a friend, and only black was to be found, so onto his hat and shirt the inscription went! Good, yes, but not nearly the same as The Silver Sharpie.
Great seeing you here!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:34 am

Ladies,

I'm so glad the silver sharpie was a hit since I was the one who brung it. ;) Actually the silver sharpie was intended for an EP autograph on Wendy's black WoodyFest t-shirt....but it wasn't working too well on cloth...so EP blacked out what he had already attempted to write and started over with a black sharpie...putting the autograph on the picture on the back of the shirt instead....so it all worked out....and the silver sharpie was perfect for the hot-off-the-press Live at Club Passim CDs! I just love it when a wrong ends up being a right! :lol:

KarenZ

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”