WUMB Top 100 for 2010

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

WUMB Top 100 for 2010

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Folks,

It's that time of year again! As you may remember, last year's WUMB countdown had us on the edge of our seats.....and Mr. Paul came in #2 for the year - just behind that Dylan guy. ;-)

Use the ballot linked below to vote for up to 10 of your favorite performers and/or groups no later than Tuesday, November 9, 2010. During the week of November 15-19, WUMB will count down the WUMB Listener Top 100 performers starting with performer #100 at 7am Monday morning and ending with #1 at 6pm Friday.

Will Mr. Paul de-throne that Dylan guy?? Time will tell! (Was there ever a Bob Dylan Day in the City of Boston?) ;-)

Click here to vote by Nov. 9, 2010!

Vote now! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Re: WUMB Top 100 for 2010

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Done.

Now to find some more email addresses... :)
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks, Jeff! :-)

If you haven't yet voted, this is your weekly reminder! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for the reminder - my votes have been cast :o)

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:38 am

Folks,

Just another reminder that voting ends Nov. 9!

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Only 11 days left to cast your vote! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Today is voting day! Don't forget to cast your ballot in the political races......and if you haven't yet voted for your favorite WUMB artists of 2010, there's only one week left to do it! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Folks,

Voting ends tomorrow! Then all next week we can start listening to the Top 100 countdown! :-)

I will be out of town on Monday and Tuesday, so if any of our favorites make the list on those two days, please post about it here! Thanks! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:58 am

Looks like Adam Ezra just missed the Top 100, coming in at #101! :shock:

Top 100 so far...

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm

KarenZ wrote:Looks like Adam Ezra just missed the Top 100, coming in at #101! :shock:

Top 100 so far...

KarenZ

i feel like such a failure. :oops:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Bonnie,

I think this is Adam's first sppearance on the Top 100, so being #101 isn't too shabby! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 am

Mark Erelli is #37. Just got logged on today so I hope Mr. Paul hasn't made the list - yet!

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am

Just checked the playlist archives. No Mr. Paul - yet. Antje Duvekot was just heard - #29.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Is anyone listening besides me? Seems as though I've been talking to myself for weeks now.......

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 pm

I haven't been listening Karen but something tells me Ellis Paul will be up there in the Top 10 so hopefully I will remeber to tune in in time for the prestigious honor of Numero Uno Baby!!! 8)

There's a very old expression it's called talking to the wall and it means you get no answers just .....oh i forget the last word. It's a line from an old Joan Armatrading song that I wanted to drop in here to say I know what you mean, or as Lyle Lovett put it: I Know What You Really Mean
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks, Paddy! :-)

Decided - kinda last minute - to do a road trip tomorrow to the show in Bethlehem, PA and will be on the road for the last of the countdown! Can you call me to let me know how it turns out? I'll be dying of curiosity! :-) I'll PM you my cell number.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 pm

I can do that sure as you're born to be the one that took Ellis Paul's message to "Spread the Word" to heart. Can anyone give me an idea the times tomorrow WUMB will be airing the top ten ~ thanks
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:18 pm

#1 will be announced at 6pm tomorrow. They announce one name every 30 minutes so that means it should go something like this:

#2 5:30
#3 5pm
#4 4:30
#5 4pm
#6 3:30
#7 3pm
#8 2:30
#9 2pm
#10 1:30

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I bought a ticket to the Dragonfly Races ~ go Dusty go!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Now I'm thinking they might end up doing only one per hour tomorrow.....since by the end of today they will be down to #12.....

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 am

I will be sweating out the Ellis Paul countdown! Not sure I'll be near a computer at 6:00, but I'll be listening.

That Bob Dylan guy is so overrated! :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 am

The countdown ended yesterday with Patty Griffin at #11 which means the final 10 will be today. In comparing who has already been announced with last year's list, I'm pretty sure that today's group will include EP, Dylan, Richard Shindell, Joni Mitchell, John Prine, EmmyLou Harris, Joan Baez....not sure who else.

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:04 am

I think John Prine was in yesterday's group. Thought I heard Baez already too, but I could be wrong there!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 am

You're probably right! I'm not sure who I've heard or not heard! :)

Just announced #10 - Chris Smither.

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:12 am

I know I heard John Prine yesterday. I haven't been as tuned in this year as in previous years, but I knew Ellis wouldn't be coming in until today anyway, cos' us EP Fans know the real deal when we see it! :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:10 am

On the WUMB website - lower left - they are asking listeners to vote today on an answer to this question:

Bob Dylan has been #1 in our Top 100 Countdown for the past five years. Do you think he'll end up in the #1 position again this year?

Answers are either:

1. Yes, of course! (151 votes so far)

2. No, he'll be de-throned this year (100 votes so far)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 am

#9 - Neil Young!

I think Dylan will be de-throned this year! (Why else would they ask the question?????) :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 am

DRAT! Ellis Paul was just announced as being #8 this year! :(

Still not too shabby though...... :)

Oooh....I love this song....."Independence Day".....

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:04 am

I'm shocked.

#1 in my book, Mr. Paul!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 am

Me too! :shock:

KarenZ

monicar wrote:I'm shocked.

#1 in my book, Mr. Paul!

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 am

In boycott, I'm not listening to the winner. HA!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 am

If someone DID de-throne Dylan, who would it be??? Joni?

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:20 am

I would think it would be a big name if someone outdid him, but I'm highly doubting he's not coming in at #1.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 am

Yes.....asking us if we think Dylan will be de-throned was probably just a diversion to peak some interest in what will be another routine outcome! :-)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:I would think it would be a big name if someone outdid him, but I'm highly doubting he's not coming in at #1.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:44 pm

*Tears up the check to WUMB*

I was hopeful. Next year we need to do a big push again !

(Hey everybody - sorry - brand new work computer, with brand new responsibilities... safe travels Karen and enjoy the show)
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks PotatoPicker! :-)

Heading out now.....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Eight is Enough Congratulation Ellis Paul

I'm recalling an old EP story about flying with Neil Young as a seat mate and letting Neil listen to a cassette of one of Ellis' releases. Neil deboarded at flight's end and to Ellis' regret he didn't tell Neil to keep it.

Comes a Time Ellis Paul comes out ahead of Neil Young and that time is now. Just goes to show you have to be careful what you cover.

Neil Young covers Whip Your Hair on Jimmy Fallon

As for Ellis Paul ~ Don't Stop Believin
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Just checked the latest:

7 - Emmylou Harris
6 - Joan Baez
5 - Nanci Griffith
4 - Richard Thompson
3 - Joni Mitchell

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:20 am

...and the top two are................

2 - Cheryl Wheeler
1 - Bob Dylan

Yes, Mr Zimmerman did it again folks!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Jela,

Thanks so much for the update! Maybe next year Mr. Zimmerman will lose his crown. ;-)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 am

KarenZ wrote:Jela,

Thanks so much for the update! Maybe next year Mr. Zimmerman will lose his crown. ;-)

KarenZ

if it's any consolation, according to 2 sources who were at tonight's concert, mr zimmerman has lost his voice.

(personally i'm not sure he ever had one. i've said it before and i will say it again. dylan is one of the greatest songwriters ever, he is not a singer. :? )
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Say Something”