WUMB

Post messages here that don't fit into any other forum.

Moderator: Moderator

monicar

Re: WUMB

Postby monicar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 am

Okey doke. I will take the challenge.

The more I think about it, I swear I've heard it on Barnes' Highway 61 Saturday a.m. show, but I might be dreaming!

I'll let you know if I get a reply!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks MonicaR! You rock! :)

KarenZ
monicar wrote:Okey doke. I will take the challenge.

The more I think about it, I swear I've heard it on Barnes' Highway 61 Saturday a.m. show, but I might be dreaming!

I'll let you know if I get a reply!
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 am

Cool version of All Along the Watch Tower, but not Ellis' version. Still holding out hope!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 am

Arrgghh! I've been listening but missed that when a co-worker walked into my office!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:54 am

The link to Ellis covering all along the watchtower was up on the db not long ago....can we forward it to wumb, on the outside chance.... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 am

I emailed Barnes yesterday, but now I'm thinking I should have sent it somewhere else. I assumed he'd be one of the announcers today but you know what they say about assuming ....

I'm still holding out hope it's on their list!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 am

Paddy,

What link do you mean?

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:The link to Ellis covering all along the watchtower was up on the db not long ago....can we forward it to wumb, on the outside chance.... :wink:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 am

Someone brought up the Ellis Paul version of all along the watchtower here a while back. Wait, it might have been a triva question prize you offered. I went in search of the compilation disc myself and found it. Was able to hear it online.....never mind! :oops:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:18 am

OK.....I just sent WUMB an e-mail.....saying that several members of the EP discussion board were listening in and made our special request. Keep your fingers crossed that they have the disk! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 am

Oh....I bet they have it!! The question is can they find it?? :P
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:59 am

I'm still holding out hope! :lol:

I'm loving what I'm hearing today, though, that's for sure!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:01 am

Me too.....surprisingly. ;-)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am

briefly off the bob dylan topic here........ :wink:

The next WUMB Member Concert will be happening on Saturday, April 25th @ 7pm - at UMass Boston with singer-songwriter, Antje Duvekot. If you're a WUMB Member, reserve your two free seats and get more info here. Note that space is limited - first come, first served. We expect this show to 'sell out' by early April. (03/19)
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am

You're not a Dylan fan, Karen?

I've become a junkie over the years and especially love all of the bootleg stuff!

Paddy .... thank you for that Antje info. Not sure where I've been, but I was clueless about that. I'm going to email them today for my tix!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:29 am

Only when other folks cover him. ;-)

Like right now.....OMG.....this Ramblin' Jack cover of "don't think twice" is just awesome. I don't think I've ever heard a better version... :shock:

KarenZ

monicar wrote:You're not a Dylan fan, Karen?

I've become a junkie over the years and especially love all of the bootleg stuff!

Paddy .... thank you for that Antje info. Not sure where I've been, but I was clueless about that. I'm going to email them today for my tix!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 am

KarenZ wrote:Only when other folks cover him. ;-)

I agree %100.
In my opionion, Bob Dylan is one of the best songwriters of all time. I have never heard a Dylan cover that I disliked, yet I cringe when I hear him sing them himself. :?
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:44 am

I can relate to where you are coming from. There's plenty of his stuff that is just too difficult to understand. That's why I love the bootleg stuff ....... he's very, very clear.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Well, kids, I am off to take a nap since I woke up at 1:30 a.m. and have been awake ever since. I hope you get to hear the tune!!!!

Have a great day!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Right song (All Along the Watchtower)....wrong musician (Larry McCray). :(

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 am

Just looked at the Day of Dylan playlist which is now archived here:

Day of Dylan playlist

Two Jimmy LaFave covers of Dylan (which is great!), but no Ellis Paul. :( Maybe next time.

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:59 am

Next time we'll have to put in our request much earlier. The more I thought about it, I bet they had the playlist planned well in advance of the big day.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am

Yes.....I came to that conclusion too. :(

KarenZ

monicar wrote:Next time we'll have to put in our request much earlier. The more I thought about it, I bet they had the playlist planned well in advance of the big day.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:24 am

Of all songs on the wumb playlist -- have only ever heard a couple from records I own.....Shawn Colvin's You're Gonna Miss Me on her excellent album Live '88 and Tim O'Brien's Everythings Broken from his entire album of Dylan covers Red on Blonde. Skipped the show y'day...I'm not a fan. :shock:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 27, 2009 11:08 am

WUMB is currently spinning "Look at the wind blow" from Ellis Paul Live! (With Chris Trapper!) Still sounds good! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed May 27, 2009 11:10 am

Did you hear me say, Karen, out loud?

Always think of you immediately when Ellis plays on UMB!

Sure do love that tune!

:D

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 am

If ya missed hearing it on WUMB......

Radio Free Ellis

Listening now!!!

Look at the Wind Blow and a dozen others..... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

MonicaR,

Are you listening??? Ellis is singing "Comes A time"! :) :) :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am

OMG! :shock: WUMB is playing "Seven"! OMG! I recognized it from the very first instrumental chord! I played this song over and over and over again back in 1998 when Translucent Soul came out. OMG! I love this song!!!

OMG! OMG!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:46 am

Karen,

Pam got the best kind of "stuck" on this song last week!!!

Like minds... :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 am

Wowzah. Art of Distance playing right now. Don't think I've ever heard this on the radio.

As an aside, not sure if this is posted somewhere else, but Ellis will be on UMB Live at Noon on Friday!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:07 pm

WUMB has been tempting me all week with today's Live at Noon reveal of Best New Artist of 2009. Finally we know! It's Sarah Jarosz! I do love what I'm hearing! :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 am

Hurricane Angel on UMB! Wooooooooohooooooooooo!

Patti

Re: WUMB FOLK FESTIVAL Changes

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 pm

From WUMB newsletter..

WUMB Boston Folk Festival is making some changes. The biggest one being it will be held in June and not September.

http://www.bostonfolkfestival.org/

This year's Festival will be held on Sunday, June 6th from Noon-7:00pm at the UMass Boston Campus. We will have one outdoor stage, and two indoor stages, including the Coffeehouse Stage.

Who will be performing at this year's Festival? Check back; the line-up will be announced the end of March.

Vendor Info, will also be available in March.

If you're a musician, interested in performing at our Festival on Sunday, June 6th, please complete this performer application.

Our Annual Songwriting Contest will continue to be in September. More details on the dates and deadline for entries will also be posted in March.

Thanks for your continued patience, encouragement and support of our annual music Fesival efforts.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 am

I'm very happy to hear they are going back outside and instead of an end of summer festival, it will be a beginning of summer fun! Shouldn't be any hurricanes in June!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm

The Art of Distance! Ooh-la-la! :-)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am

Karen, did you just hear Art of Distance? I haven't heard that on the radio in years!!!!!

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am

Ahahaha. You beat me!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 pm

No, I didn't! I posted that in May! They played it again today! And YES, I heard it - again! Loved it! :)

KarenZ

monicar wrote:Ahahaha. You beat me!

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh my! I'm living in a time warp. Didn't notice the date of May and I obviously missed hearing it in May! :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 pm

"Last Call" from Stories :!: It still sounds sooooo damn good! :D

Can't wait! 8)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 pm

KarenZ wrote:"Last Call" from Stories :!: It still sounds sooooo damn good! :D

Can't wait! 8)

KarenZ

Sweet !
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am

Jimmy LaFave! *swoon*!

Love that WUMB plays Jimmy so frequently......

:)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 pm

I'll be seeing/hearing Jimmy for the very first time next week... Miss MonicaR tells me to be prepared to be amazed !! hmmmm..... :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 am

I'm with Miss MonicaR - you will be amazed!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

See today's post in the Jimmy LaFave thread.

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 pm

FYI Patti .... if you fall in love with him, you have to get in line!

When my son was about 10, a friend of mine asked him what would happen if she fell in love with Jimmy. Den's response was "my mom would kick your butt!"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Oh wow. Ellis is singing "Seven"........ 8)

I luuuuuuuuv this song! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Listening to this song makes me wonder how many Ellis Paul songs mention a wedding gown..... :?

KarenZ

KarenZ wrote:Oh wow. Ellis is singing "Seven"........ 8)

I luuuuuuuuv this song! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:11 am

She Loves A Girl!!!!! :D

Wow......the songs from Translucent Soul still really get to me.....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm

The line-up for the June 5, 2011 WUMB Music Fest (formerly the Boston Folk Festival) was announced today:

2011 WUMB Music Fest

KarenZ

Return to “Say Something”